Active Topics

Posts: 316 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Maryland, US
Originally Posted by solico View Post
Well, now it is official, I can dump my tablet.
With an email-client spitting out an "Internal Error" every time it checks for new mails I'll have to downgrad to chinook again.

Don't get me wrong, but this sucks. I paid good money for my NIT and now I can't use the new firmware just because the better and improved email client can't keep up with the old and clumsy one?

SSU, AGPS and all the other stuff may be fun, but damn, I want to get my emails!
I might go back to chinook also for the email client. Unless someone can tell me how to delete an email from my POP3 server like the orig mail client could. I leave my emails on the server so I can download them to my PC. BUT, I want to check emails while on the road and delete any junk ones from the server if I want to.

I knew Modest was not a good idea. I complained about this during modest beta but was ignored it seems

Other than this diablo works much nicer. It seems the gui is snappier and other apps I see a speed increase such as the RSS feed reader.

Originally Posted by Tabster View Post
I knew Modest was not a good idea. I complained about this during modest beta but was ignored it seems
Did you file a bug or feature request?

If it had that ONE feature, would it suddenly be a good idea?

Not everyone needs the same things from an email client and Modest is a much better client for a good number of people.

That said, I think there's supposed to be a way to continue using the old client on diablo.

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
Originally Posted by JoeF View Post
Is there a list of changes that a non-programmer can understand? This is to help answer the question "why bother?".
See here and here, and that thread generally.

As I understand it, "SSU" allows upgrades of OS without having to reflash your tablet. So, theoretically, if you flash to Diablo, that will be the last flash you'll have to do.

And if you don't flash to Diablo, you'll probably be waiting a long time for Fremantle; though I expect a clean flash image of that will be available, there probably won't be any intervening.

(Diablo (or the hacked-together aberration we've been calling Diablo) has been working fine here, so I'm going to upgrade. General advice before posting an "x doesn't work" thread: If something won't install, you probably need to add/change the Distribution field for that repo in App Mugger...)

Last edited by Benson; 2008-06-24 at 15:58.

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by JoeF View Post
Is there a list of changes that a non-programmer can understand? This is to help answer the question "why bother?".
Yes. I would like to know that too..

There is new email client and you fond need flash tablet after this update. But is there anything else new?

Touchscreen input is improved, browser doesn't crash all windows at once, App Mugger is improved, lots of stuff...

Why wouldn't you upgrade (in main flash)? Is there a list of problems you expect?

My advice would be to clone your current OS to SD, then reflash with Diablo. That way you got a fallback, if somethings don't work well at first.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
There is an agps ui you can get from the application manager where you can choose your location on a map. Haven't had a chance to try the feature yet, but I'm looking forward to it!

Quick question: Since Chinook and Diablo are largely compatible, I am installing apps from the Chinook Extras repo, since Diablo extras appears to be empty. (I could have merely done something dumb, mind you). Is the application manager wise enough to install the Diablo version of an app when it becomes available in that other repository, or does it rely specifically on the version number?

Come to think of it, it amazes me how many of the apps I use are just in Extras. Before I reflashed, my repository list was enormous. I think I won't restore that backup application list...

Last edited by Picklesworth; 2008-06-24 at 16:08.

Posts: 316 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Maryland, US
Originally Posted by DataPath View Post
Did you file a bug or feature request?
Bugzilla Bug 2922 back in February...
Some guy said he thought that feature would be activated once out of beta but I guess he misunderstood me or was not involved in the development.

Originally Posted by DataPath View Post
If it had that ONE feature, would it suddenly be a good idea?
Definately. As I said - I like everything else
As I am not travelling now, I will use Diablo for now and probably put up with this feature removal.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
...browser doesn't crash all windows at once...
Confirmed. The biggest advantage of Diablo is now one can browse iTT forum from the tablet without crashing.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
My advice would be to clone your current OS to SD, then reflash with Diablo. That way you got a fallback, if somethings don't work well at first.
You think everybody is qwerty12 or Benson. I suspect the number of users cloning OS is probably under 100. Yes, just a wild guess.

bun

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 449 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ eastern north carolina usa
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Confirmed. The biggest advantage of Diablo is now one can browse iTT forum from the tablet without crashing.

You think everybody is qwerty12 or Benson. I suspect the number of users cloning OS is probably under 100. Yes, just a wild guess.

bun
well bun,,,thats what i did...dont think im going back....even rewinimaged it on my computer so i dont tie up portable resources generally not a bad idea...99% of what i use it for works...

The Following User Says Thank You to joepagiii For This Useful Post: