Hello,

Is there any way to map the memory cards on the NIT as a drive on a Windows computer? Basically I'd like to be able to send files to my N810 wirelessly from my desktop without having to touch it.

You'll need to run some kind of file server on your N810. Probably Samba.

Yes, you need Samba, which I have not found for the maemo OS yet.

What I do instead is have the open-ssh package installed on the NIT. Then I use Winscp (a freeware program) or cuteftp on Windows to access the NIT and do the kind of drag-n-drop file transfers you are looking for. A couple of added benfits of the ssh protocol is that it is secure, and it works across the internet. I also find it generally find it troubesome than that Window file sharing mess.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
There is SFTPDrive software for Windows. Paid. With it you can map ssh drives.

Thanks a lot wartstew. Installed open-ssh. Took me a while to figure out why I couldn't connect to the tablet with Winscp, and I still don't know what it was. Restarted the server, rebooted the tablet and changed the user password to the same password. Then it worked after one of those. Don't know exactly what happened so won't be able to fix it if anything goes awry.

Winscp integrates itself into the shell so I can just highlight all items>right-click>send-to... no gui to tell it where to go so have to remember the command line. Saves me the trouble of mapping the drive though.

Thanks.

Posts: 157 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by pwsn View Post
Winscp integrates itself into the shell so I can just highlight all items>right-click>send-to... no gui to tell it where to go so have to remember the command line. Saves me the trouble of mapping the drive though.
My preferred way to use winscp is set it to use its 'explorer-like' interface: when I open it I get an explorer style window on /home/user and from there I can browse over the tablet's folders and drag/drop between that window and any of Window's explorer windows.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Derby, UK
Originally Posted by pwsn View Post
Hello,

Is there any way to map the memory cards on the NIT as a drive on a Windows computer? Basically I'd like to be able to send files to my N810 wirelessly from my desktop without having to touch it.

I use bluetooth to send files from my desktop PC to the NIT. I have a bluetooth transmitter in the PC and its paired with the N810. Then its just a matter of right-clicking on any file and selecting 'Send-to', Bluetooth, etc. Then on the NIT, you just confirm the destination folder and you're done.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by wartstew View Post
Yes, you need Samba, which I have not found for the maemo OS yet.
NFS server on NIT with NFS client on Windows.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
NFS - Yes I noticed the portmap daemon on the N810 I just didn't know if it had a complete NFS server on it and haven't tried to access it that way. Maybe I should.

Probably what happened with ssh was that there is this business of public keys that have to be generated on both sides. I expect one of them weren't generated until things were rebooted. The thing to note is that this can happen again, or worse it gets out of sync with what the other side expects it to be (like if you rebuild the service on the PC for example), when this happens, you get all kind of warnings and worse case you have delete the "known_hosts" file to start over.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
If file transfer is the purpose, just use file manager. On your pc, put a drive to share. The shared drive will show up on your tablet as share folders, MOST of the time, NOT all the time.

bun