Active Topics

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Can some guru here made a .deb file for this, or write some details instructions, pleeeeeeeeese? I looked at the wiki instructions, it is kind of intimidating... original post, Highspeed enabled kernel for the Nokia n800 and n810

Philip Langdale’s ramblings on possibly interesting topics

High Speed SD/MMC kernel for Maemo 4.1 (Diablo)
Published by Philip Langdaleat 8th July 2008 in SD/MMC.
I finally got some time to update my development tree to the new Diablo code and built a new kernel with my high-speed SD/MMC patch. Additionally, it will speed up access to the internal 2GB flash (eMMC) in the n810. For those with long memories, the Maemo bug which slows down card access when the CPU is idle is still present although there has been a little bit of activity on the Nokia side recently (They have an internal bug open for it now)

You can find my custom kernel, patches and instructions http://intr.overt.org/4.2008.23-mmc-kernel/.

bun

Well I'm certainly interested. I've been searching the wiki and forum to find a a way to boot Diablo off a SD card with my interest only in speed - not even a dual boot with another OS though that may come in the future. I've played around with Linux for a year and a N800 for 6 months but I haven't delved too much into the mechanics so it has to have straight forward step by step instructions. If this kernel helps (I'll do some reading) then great that even adds more fuel to the fire! I'll follow this thread with great expectations.

Cheers

C

count me in! with the advent of class 6 sdhc, this is invaluable.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by cybernut View Post
...searching the wiki and forum to find a a way to boot Diablo off a SD card with my interest only in speed - not even a dual boot with another OS though that may come in the future...

What kind of dual boot you looking for, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=21403

diablo, chinook, kde in any combo?

bun

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
I came up with a zero on the search. No wonder I can never find any thing... I can't find any user Langdaleat both in the forum posts and wiki and no reference to his kernel fix.

Can you please supply a couple of url's please.

TIA

C

@ Bun
I would like a single Diablo right now with a possibility of Deb or even Chinook in the future. Is there a speed increase by putting it on a SD card? - I'm sure there will be one with this higher speed bus. I saw the post by for the Deb dual boot so I might go with that one. A 50% (is that possible?) boost would be fantastic. I took a quick look at your post in your next email and I'll go through it and get an idea what can be done.

C

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
Pardon my unknowing question, but can I reflash my current dual boot config with this bin file? If so, how would I do it from my NIT xterminal?

Would I
1) untar the initfs_flash from Fanoush
2) initfs_flash mmc-kernel-4.2008.23.bin

Thanks in advance

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
I would love to give this a try as well, but the documentation is far too confusing to jump right in.

My best guess would be to download the .bin and do a "flasher -f -k filename.bin" but I would prefer someone in the know to confirm before I brick my device.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Munk View Post
Pardon my unknowing question, but can I reflash my current dual boot config with this bin file? If so, how would I do it from my NIT xterminal?

Would I
1) untar the initfs_flash from Fanoush
2) initfs_flash mmc-kernel-4.2008.23.bin
initfs != kernel

For flashing the kernel on the device you want

Code:
fiasco-flasher -k <zImage> -f
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
My best guess would be to download the .bin and do a "flasher -f -k filename.bin" but I would prefer someone in the know to confirm before I brick my device.
Generally speaking, you can't really brick a tablet with a kernel (unless something really malicious and evil is in there). If it's messed up and you're dropped into a reboot loop then simply reflashing Nokia's kernel will solve it.

If you're flashing from a computer, then:

Code:
flasher-3.0 -k <zImage> -f -R
Otherwise the fiasco-flasher command above will work fine on-device (assuming you have Diablo).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Here is my command session under Diablo. I have previously installed becomeroot and wget.

Code:
BusyBox v1.6.1 (2008-05-22 10:32:35 EEST) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

~ $ sudo gainroot
Root shell enabled

BusyBox v1.6.1 (2008-05-22 10:32:35 EEST) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

/home/user # cd /media/mmc1
/media/mmc1 # wget http://intr.overt.org/4.2008.23-mmc-kernel/mmc-kernel-4.2008.23.bin
--22:16:01--  http://intr.overt.org/4.2008.23-mmc-kernel/mmc-kernel-4.2008.23.bin
           => `mmc-kernel-4.2008.23.bin'
Resolving intr.overt.org... 204.11.33.43
Connecting to intr.overt.org|204.11.33.43|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 1,536,904 (1.5M) [application/octet-stream]

100%[========================================================================================>] 1,536,904    254.00K/s    ETA 00:00

22:16:07 (258.18 KB/s) - `mmc-kernel-4.2008.23.bin' saved [1536904/1536904]

/media/mmc1 # fiasco-flasher -k mmc-kernel-4.2008.23.bin -f
Reading and flashing kernel image
Image(s) successfully flashed
/media/mmc1 #
Rebooted and things seem to work. I have not noticed any significant increase in mmc speed but dmesg clearly indicates that it's operating at 48000000Hz

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to brontide For This Useful Post: