Thanks, Penguinbait, for your work. After a few false starts, where the application failed to install, it successfully installed on the 3rd try and I'm now booting from the card.

My question is do I enable virtual memory (it is currently not enabled), through the control panel or is the swap partition already doing this? Thanks.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by HowHH View Post
Thanks, Penguinbait, for your work. After a few false starts, where the application failed to install, it successfully installed on the 3rd try and I'm now booting from the card.

My question is do I enable virtual memory (it is currently not enabled), through the control panel or is the swap partition already doing this? Thanks.
There is already a swap partition,
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Is this http://penguinbait.com/install-tools.deb is suitable for Nokia N770 ITOS 2006 3.2006.49-2 or just for Nokia N8x ?

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by Gomez View Post
Is this http://penguinbait.com/install-tools.deb is suitable for Nokia N770 ITOS 2006 3.2006.49-2 or just for Nokia N8x ?
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=22155

bun

Originally Posted by clint999 View Post
I second the nomination!
I third it! Excellent package, worked very well almost on the first try (only bootmenu didn't appear - have since corrected that).

On my 4th try now... I am using a newly flashed tablet, but it keeps failing.

Originally Posted by buma View Post
quick and stupid question - is there a way to clone a cloned sd card? Was thinking that my use of an 8GB card might be a bit overkill - but of course, I've already added like a bunch of things to my cloned SD card already and didn't want to have to do it again.

So, is it possible:
1. to clone your SD card to another SD card
2. would it have to be exactly the same size to clone it or could you go to a different size SD card (say from an 8 to a 4GB card)?

and thanks for your great work for the tablet - it has made it all the more useful birthday present to myself
You can clone and also change any of the 3 partition sizes easily if you know how to use the Norton Ghost program. I have used the DOS version of Ghost and have duplicated several 2GB copies, and also have changed the partitions sizes from PB's original 128/1662/128 to 640/1200/70, so to have more FAT for storing data files.

These are the steps:

1. Put the SD card to a USB adapter and plug it into your PC;
2. Boot your PC to Ghost and ask it to creat an disk image of your SD card. This takes quite a long time as the USB transfer is very slow under DOS; and lastly,
3. Change to a new SD card (you can use any card size as long as the card size is larger than the data size) and ask Ghost to put the image created in (2) above to this SD card. At this stage, you can change the size of each partition (Fat, Boot and swap). Now, you have an exact copy of the SD card and also your desired partition size.

I have made two copies this way myself, one for both testing programs and for daily use and one for keeping. If I install and test a program and find it useful, then I will install it to the card for keeping and then make a fresh image. This saves me a lot of time and trouble in future.

Last edited by fieldside; 2008-07-26 at 02:55.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fieldside For This Useful Post:
Posts: 51 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Hawaii
thanks fieldside,
problem is, I don't have Ghost any way of doing it sans Ghost? Like... with the n800 itself as it has 2 cardslots? or some other method on a Windows machine?

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by buma View Post
thanks fieldside,
problem is, I don't have Ghost any way of doing it sans Ghost? Like... with the n800 itself as it has 2 cardslots? or some other method on a Windows machine?
See thread #315. You change partition size by editing the .txt file. If you have it done once, you can just keep changing the sd card, it will continue to do it, just like "ghost". In fact, I keep modify progs on the internal flash to go to a state I like and keeps on "ghost" to my SD card on and off to maintain the same change. My cloned SD keeps on changing with new progs installed, very rarely it stays the same for months.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-07-26 at 15:37.

Any idea on how to fix a messed up partition table? My 16 GB SDHC got corrupted somehow (probably due to me stupidly removing the battery when the tablet froze with the camera application and nothing would power it off).

I wound up reformating it but now it only shows the FAT partition (11 GBs). So I'm missing the rest of it (which was my ext2 partition that the OS was on).

I tried using the Panasonic LLF but it only shows up those 11 GBs.

Edit: GParted (a partition manager in Linux) can't find the ext2 partition either.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Tags
deprecated