Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by DistantFire View Post
When will I learn to do a backup before accepting the next upgrade? Oh I know... NOW (too late, though)
I did a backup when I was prompted during the update. I said to myself, it is a good idea although I seldom use restore. I did the backup and it then continued with the upgrade. The upgrade did not get interrupted by making a backup during the process.

bun

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ France
Originally Posted by tso View Post
it seems that all those that have a broken update have used apt-get rather then app manager. also, have those used the -unlocked package?
Yes, I tried both. Trying the -unlocked package, I successfully downloaded and installed it, but the configuration script failed. If I got correctly what happened (I may be wrong) the package downloaded two .deb files (one for rx34 and one for rx44) in /usr/share/osso-software-version/ and then the configuration script tried to install the .deb corresponding to my device (rx44). This attempt failed due to the lack of a set of packages: initfs-flasher kernel-diablo-flasher flash-and-reboot . I did the first time the update from the app manager, and once I saw it had not worked I used apt-get, seeing the error messages. The app manager did not reboot my N810 at the end of the upgrade, nor showed me any error message that could allow me to see that something was wrong.

So all the problem (in my case) was due to the accidental removal of a set of packages that should never be removed from your N810. I have been able to reproduce the conditions that led to the removal: a simple
Code:
apt-get remove gizmo-installer
apt-get -f upgrade
from a newly flashed device removes those packages.

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Idaho Falls, ID
Update worked as advertised for me. Browser does seem a bit faster. No problems here.

in order to install this update i ended up reflashing. the irony. i was having problems with dependencies that i couldn't figure out. likely i was missing a repository or something like that, but i gave up after a couple hours of inexperienced trial and error.

Anybody check their about? Mine still says 23-14 although I updated from the "Operating System Update" option in Application Manager's red pill mode. It rebooted and all just as it was supposed to as well.
Nokia n810 Diablo
(After many years of Palm and Windows PDAs)
"So Shut Up, Live, Travel, Adventure, Bless, And Don't Be Sorry." - Jack Kerouac

humm. other than the reflash this is a good update. the ui seems even snappier and the browser is faster.

Posts: 275 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
Originally Posted by nhanquy View Post
After apt-get clean, update, install... from my mmc2 on my N800 and rebooting the device, the mmc2 and flash both show 4.2008.30-2.
Even I did not try to update the OS from flash. Also bootmenu doesn't change.

So it looks like we can do one shot update from mmc2 if we have dual booting.

Similar experience for me. Booted from the removable card. Then ran apt-get install...unlocked. Both the removable and flash read as updated even though I never ran the update while booted from the flash.

I did get an error on install:

Errors were encountered while processing:
install tools
E: Sub-process/usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
/home/user #

Is this something to be concerned about?

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
Errors were encountered while processing:
install tools
E: Sub-process/usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
/home/user #
Well, the real error is a few lines before. This only says "There was an error"

Without real error log, there's no need to give feedback. Until now, I have seen no one explaining in detail their bugs, nobody has posted any error message and also what they had in their sources.list

My upgrade using apt-get went fine. I prefer to do it and watch error message in real time and do not want any gui to choose for me.

I still miss a changelog though.
In fact, this changelog could be built easily by merging all the diffs from old versions to new versions. Unfortunatly I neither have old versions numbers (of the 61 apps upgraded) nor changelog (thanks docpurge).
There's also no apt changelog (/var/log/dpkg.log). Only somebody who has not yet done the upgrade could generate such changelog.

Originally Posted by tso View Post
hmm, app manager settings. only way to access those are via red pill
Argh.. and argh again.. being able to do this kind of setting should be blue pill mode.. IMHO. Oh well. Thanks for clarifying though!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
@qwerty12:

You also have to mount /dev /proc /sys and /tmp Before chrooting.

EDIT: With --bind.

mount --bind /dev [your-mount-point]/dev
Yeah, my chroot script is basically a big fancy version of that.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:

Tags
browser, email, microb, modest, os2008, ssu, stability, update