Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
All the symptoms you describe are caused by the fact you ran xpice4 from the Debian prompt. You have to use the menu item to make it 'tablet friendly'. Make sure your .desktop file has the following 'Exec' line:
Code:
Exec=/usr/bin/hostwin XFCE 'sudo debian xpice4'
Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
Wow, XFCE is chroot/Tablet unfriendly.

It doesn't go fullscreen and there is no icon on the side in OS2008, so if you lose your window, you're dead. Also, inside xfce there is no taskbar...not that I can see anyway (it's probably being covered by OS2008). As for fullscreen, wouldn't this line in xpice4 make it fullscreen?:

Code:
wmctrl -i -r $PARWIN -b toggle,fullscreen

Thanks for all the help, guys. As you can probably tell, I'm fairly new to Linux (the Tablet was my first Linux device, and I got that in ~April), so the help is very much appreciated.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Ok, it's working perfectly now. Thanks.

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

I have installed the Easy Debian package and it's working pretty good but after reading this thread I'm thinking of trying to run it from an ext2 partition. I repartitioned my 4G card (with my desktop running Linux Mint and a card reader) into 2G fat32 and 2G ext2 partitions. I now have the debian image file in the fat32 partition. I can't seem to find the ext2 partition. I read about modifying fstab but then in another post they said the tablets don't read fstab. sfdisk -l shows it as /dev/mmcblk0p2.
How do I make it visible so I can extract the filesystem there?

Thanks!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
you have to mount the partition, then extract the data. Best thing to do is to modify your /home/user/.chroot file to say the following:
Code:
IMGFILE=/dev/mmcblk0p2
Then do "sudo debian" to mount the filesystem (and chroot into it). Just type "exit" to get back out of the (empty) chroot. (Do a "ls" just to make sure that it IS empty. If it isn't empty, you may have already mounted your img file, and so you may need to reboot and type "sudo debian" again) Now you've got your partition mounted and you can "cd /debian" and extract the tarball there. Once the file is extracted, you can do "sudo debian" and you're in your new Debian chroot!

Last edited by qole; 2008-08-15 at 04:27.

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I think when you copied it it didn't copy over permissions... did you use cp -pr or just cp when you ran the copy from the image to the new ext2??

ETA: if this is the case.. it will be easier to start over and run the cp with -pr as root instead of fixing these permissions by hand.

Hi!
I did try the "cp -pr /debian /media/mmc1", but it seems like it got "stuck" during the "/debian/dev" copy procress, making lots of errors like:

Code:
cp: cannot stat '.dev/fd/3/dev/fd/3/dev/fd/3/def/fd/3/def/fd/3/def/fd/3/def/fd/3/def/fd/ [...]' Too many levels of symbolic links
I stopped the process after 2.6GB were copied to my mmc1 partition... (my debian image "debian.img.ext2" is 1GB of size)
Does it get stuck into some kind of "infinite copy loop"?

For the record, the debian image is mounted on /debian, an empty ext2 partition is mounted on /media/mmc1 and I'm root (I'm doing all this in Terminal -osso_xterm- on my N810).

Also I did try the command (once in /debian):

tar cf - . | tar xfp - -C /media/mmc1
But ended up with this error:

Code:
tar: can't open 'p': No such file or directory
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Max

I think this is a problem of those "mount -o bind" drives. The copy process won't work right unless you do like BrentDC did in the very first post of this thread. Follow his instructions about making a copy of the /sbin/debian script and then getting rid of those lines in the new script, reboot to unmount the /debian partition, and try your mount-and-copy again. (clear your new partition first). I would suggest that the tar command would be more successful than the copy command.

Thanks Qole!

I did try to remove the specified lines from /sbin/debian:

#Make the tablet's devices available to Debian
echo .
mount -o bind /dev "$CHROOT/dev"
mount -o bind /proc "$CHROOT/proc"

#Gentoo wiki says this will make X work
echo ..
mount -t devpts none "$CHROOT/dev/pts"
mount -o bind /tmp "$CHROOT/tmp"

#Various external devices
echo ...
#FIXME: Should get these from /proc/mounts...
mount -o bind /media/mmc1 "$CHROOT/media/mmc1"
mount -o bind /media/mmc2 "$CHROOT/media/mmc2"
mount -o bind /media/usb "$CHROOT/media/usb"

#Mount the user's home dir
echo ....
mount -o bind /home/user "$CHROOT/home/user"
I saved the file, rebooted, did the same steps.. and ended up with the same never ending loop(s): cp: cannot stat '.dev/fd/3/dev/fd/3/dev/fd/3/def/fd/3/def/fd/3/def/fd/3/def/fd/3/def/fd/ [...]' Too many levels of symbolic links

meanwhile, I downloaded your "debian-chroot-apps-040608.tar.bz2" tarball and tried to restore it:

Code:
/home/user/img-install/tar xjvf /media/mmc1/debian-chroot-apps-040608.tar.bz2
I get:
Code:
/home/user/img-install/tar: bzip2: Cannot exec: No such file or directory
/home/user/img-install/tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
/home/user/img-install/tar: Child returned status 2
/home/user/img-install/tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
Also,

Code:
# tar xjvf /media/mmc1/debian-chroot-apps-040608.tar.bz2
gives me the error: "tar: invalid option -- j"

What am I doing wrong??

Thanks for your help!
Max

Alright, please disregard my previous post (unless you'd like to explain more in details how not to get the infinite cp: cannot stat '.dev/fd/3/[...] loop).

I installed bzip2 from devel, and it worked as it should. It's now extracting Qole's debian-chroot-apps-040608.tar.bz2 on my new partition. Let's see how it goes!

Still, it would be great (esp. for others/new comers) to have a "simple" how to "switch" from Qole's image to a dedicated partition. Ie. copy the whole /debian onto the new partition, without the problems I encountered.

Anyway, thanks a lot Qole for you help and dedication to this project!

Max

After using Qole's tarball (working perfectly now), the right click (by tap-holding) doesn't seem to work. When launching an app via terminal, I can see the following error:

"Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "libgtkstylus.so": cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

==> fixed this by reinstalling libgtkstylus

Also, I'm having some difficulties installing some apps (Gimp, gEdit), as apt-get complains about some libraries (libgtksourceview among others). Would it make sense (and resolve these issues) to remove the "devel" and "experimental" repositories?

Thanks!

PS: Is it just me or the speed difference isn't THAT different compared to running from the debian image? Apps still take quite a lot of time to load. Am I missing something? (I extracted the tarball in my external card -MicroSDHC 4GB Class4-, changed .chroot, deleted the image & tarball from my internal card)

Last edited by Maxoueb; 2008-08-16 at 07:36.

Maybe try "apt-get -f install"...?

Also from personal experiences, I would not try to copy, tar, or anything else, /debian. It's just to much of a mess -- infinitely easier to just use qole's rootfs image (and, how much could you've possibly changed in img.ext2 file that you don't want to lose that data?...).

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

Tags
chroot, debian, easy debian