Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by dmphzhopjrbffx View Post
What does df (linux command) say?

Does paragraph 2 create /dev/shm swap partition?

Does paragraph 4 create .swap file?
(look in FAT partition, I believe)

Which one gets used by the OS?

Thanks!
The time I quoted is making swap file thru control panel>Virtual Memory>extend to SD card. Yes, the end product will have 128 MB made from the clone plus the 64 Mb you just made using Control panel>Virtual memory, for a total of 192 MB

df:
Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
-/dev/mmcblk0p2 2048 1936 112 95% /mnt/initfs
-none 512 36 476 7% /mnt/initfs/tmp
-/dev/mmcblk0p2 540220 346320 166460 68% /
-none 512 36 476 7% /tmp
-none 1024 4 1020 0% /dev
-tmpfs 1024 0 1024 0% /dev/shm
-/dev/mmcblk0p1 307032 235528 71504 77% -/media/mmc1

Free:
------ total used free shared buffers
- Mem: 62176 60356 1820 0 620
- Swap: 180208 20 180188
- Total: 242384 60376 182008

Can somebody teach me how to post table and maintain alignment for easy reading? TIA,

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-08-28 at 01:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Re the table, doubtful. HTML just treats multiple spaces as one.

Thanks very much for the reply. It's very informative. I think I'm gonna try this guide but with OS2006 on flash, OS2008 on card w swap probably 0 MB made from the clone and the Control panel set at 64 MB. I'm thinking that way it's the same 64 no matter which one boots.

Great work!

I thought for it for awhile, but cant sort it out, since you brought it up, you must have the answer .

Swap file probably is not compatible among different OSs. As a matter of fact, I mistakenly inserted a 2007He clone with swap and booted up on N800/chinook and sure, the clone died, and I ended up had to re-creat the clone and lost data. The lesson is 770 clone booted up on N800 and killed the clone card.

Now, I have different OS on intflash and SD slot and with swap files, would the different OS corrupted the swap file and got into trouble? I have NOT seen any ill effect yet. Could somebody with the knows shed some light about this, or propose a "safe" way to deal with swap file when intflashboot and MMCboot are with substantial different OS.

TIA,

bun

Originally Posted by BoredOOMM View Post
emelFM2 works like a charm for removing the hidden files.

Are you using Flasher 2.0 and command line or are you using the Nokia tool in windows to flash the High-speed kernel?
I used the command line flasher 2.0, once on Mac OS, and once on Ubuntu; it worked identically on both.

The Following User Says Thank You to geoff For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post

Scrolled down to "SCRIPT UPDATED 11:30EST 5/29/08, http://penguinbait.com/install-tools-ad.tgz and dl the install-tools-ad.tgz into flash, not MMC card.

Place in /root
open xterm
cd /root
tar zxvf install-tools-ad.tgz
This will then make /root/install-tools (it has to be in this location to work)
cd /root/install-tools
Now, carefully read PB's instructions regarding INTERNAL-txt.EXAMPLE and EXTERNAL.txt-EXAMPLE. The 770 has only one SD slot and is internal for the cloning. turn off swap file. Edit the INTERNAL.txt.EXAMPLE to your likeness, and rename it to INTERNAL.txt, and delete EXTERNAL.txt-EXAMPLE; This is my INTERNAL.txt file for a 1 G RS-MMC
" FAT 300
SWAP 128
1 ext2
TIMEOUT 10"

Question:

I made it to this point and dl the above file, however I do not understand how to Place in /root.

I have the file saved to internal flash in MyDocs, now how to I go about moving the file to /root.

Also once this is done, How would I edit the above internal.txt file?

Thanks in advance.

Bunanson, you're awesome.

I just flashed and cloned my N770, and now it is useful again. Thank you so much for this guide. It's much appreciated!

The Following User Says Thank You to Aisu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by guck11 View Post
Question:

I made it to this point and dl the above file, however I do not understand how to Place in /root.

I have the file saved to internal flash in MyDocs, now how to I go about moving the file to /root.

Also once this is done, How would I edit the above internal.txt file?

Thanks in advance.
Somehow get to root permission, I used becomeroot

xterm
sudo gainroot
mkdir /root
cp /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/install-tools-ad.tgz /root

if error /root existed, you can ignore mkdir
cp is a copy command, copy from your file location to the destination folder. If you dl to the default folder, that will be your source. If not, replace with your source path.

bun

hi
- I just tried your procedure to clone the 2008 operating system onto the mmc card in my 770. Everything sent to go ok, I now have the option to boot into the clone on the card and it seems to be a lot faster. Thanks! I now want to flash 2007HE onto the internal flash. I have it downloaded to my laptop and norrmally I would just connect the 770 using usb cable and use the Nokia flasher but select the 2007HE bin file. Is this ok ? I dont want to screw up all ny good work and lose the ability to dual boot!!
Also I may buy a 2gb card and clone the 2007 onto that card. If I flash the 2007HE into internal flash do I need to repeat the procedure of flashing the 48 MHz kernel then peform the cloning step or can I just start from the "install-tools-ad.tgz" etc part of the procedure you have outlined previously in this thread. Please advise!

rgds

Martyk

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
After flashing the kernel, there is a folder called "source" left in the directory where the kernel_flasher was run. Is there any particular reason to leave it where it is? File Manager can not move it. Before I move it as root using "mv" command, I had better ask the experts whether this will be OK.

File Manager moved the unpacked kernel_flasher and the two tarballs to a folder in my old mmc which I am going to keep for backup. (My new 2G is coming in the mail.) It's odd (to an ignoramus like me) that the "sources" folder should be any different. Any reason not to move it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by scaler View Post
Any reason not to move it?
No, you can completely ignore and/or delete it. It contains source patches so you can rebuild the kernel from source. It is for developers.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post: