Active Topics

Notices

I'd like to know if there is anyone interested in helping with the development of a plugin that would:

1) Add an item in the preferences (like canola-tunning) to read, parse your movie files, and detect/download episode and movie data (info, banner images, etc.) from web sources like imdb.

2) Adda view in My videos much like the cover view lo browse the posters of movies and see them. Obviously the episode info wouldn't appear until flagged as "seen".

Let me show you how other full blown media center handles it.

The Following User Says Thank You to SebaSOFT For This Useful Post:
Hi,

I am not A developer but the screen shots you posted are great.

One thing, and I got the idea from your post, is A DVD catalog app that updates on the tablet without A desktop component.

With the work you show above, I would like to see what you would do on that type of program.

Totally offtopic but I wanted to toss the idea out there for you or other developers reading this thread.

David

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Seattle
Few questions off the bat =]

Is that vudu at the top?
Gorgeous UI on that system

Are you planning on writing in Python like the other plug ins? Either way, do you have anything written out yet, or is this still a twinkle in your eye

As far as I can tell, this is aimed towards films? I only say that because you mention imdb and movie posters
A majority of people have 4gigs or less on their tablet, so assuming that the rip is around the average 400-700 megs, there wont be more than a couple (if any) on any given persons tablet.
seems like alot of work for little result
I would recommend making it more aimed at television shows

the reason im making this distinction, as opposed to just using one plugin for movie and tv is three fold
1 - the aspect ratio on movie posters makes any screen cap from a tv show fugley as hell
2 - imdb has piss poor episode guides for tv
3 - The pertinent information seen in guides for television episodes and for movies is usually alot different (much longer plot synopsis, and air date for the former, cast runtime, director and shorter description for the later) and therefore one template prolly would work for both

Instead, Id use rage tv as a site to scrape info from, have a screen capture utility instead of movie posters ( i believe this is already implemented in canola tuning)

Itd be alot easier to develop, as you could practically rip off the cover views page (ratio is near 4:3, if not the same. im tired and don't really know)

I mean, you could eventually add the ability for canola to make a distinction (separate folders?) between films and television, but im not sure what a scroll between movie posters and screen caps would look like

thats my inital input, id love to discuss it further though

ps @ harpglass - im not sure i understand what you mean...a catalog of the dvds you own without connection to a desktop/server?
like...a graphical list
im not sure I see why someone would want that
If you could explain its advantage id be very appreciative

Last edited by CleverJake; 2008-09-05 at 06:31.

Hi,

Originally Posted by CleverJake View Post
Few questions off the bat =]
ps @ harpglass - im not sure i understand what you mean...a catalog of the dvds you own without connection to a desktop/server?
like...a graphical list
im not sure I see why someone would want that
If you could explain its advantage id be very appreciative

I think the link below would explain my request.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdpromobile/Info.aspx

Basically A list of your DVD collection with Cover art, details of the disc(s) that you update or scrape information from sources on the net as you add to your collection.

DVD Profiler for PPC uses a desktop program and conduit to put the information on the pda, I would like to avoid that.

I have just not seen an app that does something of this for the IT.

My suggestion was one for A standalone app and not a plugin for Canola.

David

Last edited by harpgliss; 2008-09-05 at 21:16.

oh, so like...a pretty list?

Hi 2 all again, well to answer a few questions

1) It's just an idea, I didn't make any programming yet
2) Movies can be at 300-400MB without any problems (2hs average)
4) It should detect TV episodes AND movies, make 2 lists and get the data from different sources
5) Those screenshots are from a MediaPortal skin and IS NOT CANOLA
6) I got entire seasons of TV shows in my tablet, and also very HQ movies, wouldn't be great to kinda bookmark which episode did I see? And to quickly select them from a covert art view?

Regards.

Welcome back

1) Are yo uplaning on programming anything, or is tis a sortof wish/idea
2) Yeah, I overestimated hte size, especially with how much lower the res can be on the tablets screens, but the point of people not having much more than a half dozen or more movies on there nit still stands, in my opinion
4) Two sepreate menus as well? like clikc on the video icon, and have the option to go to shows or movies?
5) Haha, if anyone confused that with canola, they have abit of an issue
6) That would defienlty be a great idea, but from all of the feautres you seem to want, an external app may be a bit easier to go with.
Do you have any idea what sort of a UI the bookmarking have?

Is just an idea, feel free to use anything, seriously.

With the bookmarking thing I think it's going to be easy because of the integration with mplayer, but at least to detect if you finished the episode, kinda what's going on with the podcast plugin.

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Seba: audio book is coming with full bookmark (it's an university project) and I am really excited about it, so it will be fully opensource and it will be easy to modify to have the same thing with movies.

BR
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

Marcelo you mean an audio book plugin for canola?

Tags
canola, cover, movie, plugin, series