Active Topics

Hi there. No, I still haven't gotten my Nokia from USPS even after 15 business days, but I still have hope.

But I was wondering if there's some sort of program that will tell you if you're getting a phone call. Because I plan to mount the N800 to my bike, and then listen to music while I ride.
But, I won't beable to hear the phone ring, and I don't wear tight clothes so I wouldn't feel it vibrate.

If, there was a program that would stop music play, or at least give a beep, to notify you that you've recieved a call, it'd be nice.

Speaking of which, I saw a member with a very stable bike mount for his N810. Would anyone know which mount that is?

Phonelink can give you a notification, but I don't think it'll stop your music etc.

Pay attention to the road. Don't listen to music and ride.

But if you're going to do it, why not use your phone to play music? It'll switch over when you answer a call.

Originally Posted by pwsn View Post
Pay attention to the road. Don't listen to music and ride.
Thanks for the order; without parents like you, I don't know how the rest of us kids would survive.
But if you're going to do it, why not use your phone to play music? It'll switch over when you answer a call.
Unless you've got some information outside this thread, you're making a pretty big leap to assume his phone will do that.

With a phone that will play music, there's a number of obvious potential reasons; lack of storage, poor user interface, bad sound quality, wanting to hear other sound output from the N800.

Branchedout, phonelink will send a dbus signal, and you can set up a listener to catch that and pause music if your music player is readily controllable from other processes.

Shameless plug here, you might consider cyborg for yelling direction at you while you ride. It's rather fun, imho.

Last edited by Benson; 2008-09-26 at 01:38. Reason: Author can't spell [/quote]

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
Phonelink will show a popup and send a DBus signal when the phone receives a call or text message

Harhar. I like to use my phone as a phone. It calls people. And it also recieves them.
But that's the extent of it.

But thanks for phonelink. I'll give it a look when I recieve my N800, if USPS decided not to lose it/deliver it to a wrong house.

Though I'd rather not have to look down to check if I got a call. A simple, out-of-place beep would do.

Thanks, anywho.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Unless you've got some information outside this thread, you're making a pretty big leap to assume his phone will do that.

With a phone that will play music, there's a number of obvious potential reasons; lack of storage, poor user interface, bad sound quality, wanting to hear other sound output from the N800.
Meh, sometimes people forget the most simple solution.

I'm actually interested in a creative way to answer the phone. Something out there that'll do that?

Originally Posted by pwsn View Post
Meh, sometimes people forget the most simple solution.

I'm actually interested in a creative way to answer the phone. Something out there that'll do that?
Well, for actually answering, I don't think so; that would be comparatively useless without HSP.

But for catching rings and displaying info, phonelink is it right now, and with dbus, you can do pretty much what you like with it. Pausing a music player and playing some sort of ringtone instead is the obvious thing, and with a little work, that can even become pause mediaplayer, divert output to speakers, headphone jack (and BT headset, if already in use), play ringtone out speakers and earphones, and then restore audio output settings... just don't leave it on while listening to mp3s in meetings!

I'm kind of thinking phonelink is a bit overkill for what I want, and still doesn't quite do everything I want. I'd like a daemon that monitors for incoming calls and messages (like phonelink) and also monitors signal strength, and makes it all available via dbus. Naturally I'd also write a daemon that listens and does <something> with incoming calls (I once had a juryrigged scripthappy solution, but not for a while now), and maybe a statusbar applet displaying signal strength.

I'd really like the connection applet to be opened up, because it would be great to modify it to display signal strength for both wifi and BT connections -- for BT links with any gnokii supported phone, you should be able to show strengths for the WWAN link and the BT link. As a nice bonus, an open connection applet would make it fairly easy for the N800 to share a BT connection over ad-hoc wifi without hassling through menus/shell. (Which would in turn be nice because my Eee doesn't have BT (yet) and my tx2000 can't seem to DUN without tearing out the connection, the phone, everything, and repairing, reconfiguring, etc. for every single connection. (Works fine once it's connected, though...)

What about a connection applet is so ******** proprietary, anyway? I suppose I should look into the dbus interfaces around this sometime... I don't know if any efforts have been made since Diablo (& icd2) came out.