Closed Thread
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Halchemy View Post
Hmm... update appeared to install but n800 will not restart manually. I did not restart itself as I left it to do it it'self. It turns itself off near end of start process when blue bar is about 80% of way across screen and then back on again in a loop.

If I take memory cards out of n800, blue bar gets gets right across screen then it does same thing; blue light flashes three times it turns off and then restarts and goes through this process in endless loop.

Anybody any solution please?
Ditto. Mine successfully downloaded the updates, installed them.. then afterwards, it acted goofy--didn't want to show the power menu, didn't work well in general. Once I got it to reboot--it just goes into an infinite loop.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Hi,

The update worked fine here with my N800.

One issue I have is I lost about 12 mb of device memory.

Is this a normal thing with a software upgrade?

Would this just not write to the flash and not affect the size of my device memory?

Yes, I am a noob and no expert here, just looking for answers.

Thanks for your time.

David

Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
I ended with the boot infinite loop. Any solution, different to reflashing?

By the way, I have only 'normal' packages installed. I don't know what could have interfere in the process.

Originally Posted by alephito View Post

By the way, I have only 'normal' packages installed. I don't know what could have interfere in the process.
Ditto.. I didn't have any goofy kernel level anythings installed on my N800 either.. still got all loopy on me.

Near as I can tell, there's no solution except to reflash it. I just reflashed my tablet back to 'RX-34_DIABLO_4.2008.23-14_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin' (which is the latest flashable release I could find available) and now I'm re-applying the update yet again on this clean update.. once it's FULLY up-to-date, then I'll clean up (delete the video and audio files that the OS comes with) and then finally do my backup/restore to restore all my files and settings.

I would suggest that this is probably the best solution.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain

You can use flasher to set rootfs in mmc. Then you will be able to boot (unless the kernel or initfs are borked) and see what happens.
If you do not have a bootable mmc, just make an ext2 partition on a external mmc and put debian on it: http://stskeeps.subnetmask.net/debia...-beta2.tar.bz2

Yes, danramos, I know. But it's a pity that the two SSU ended in a reflash for me, when the reflashing process was supposed to be a past thing.

Last edited by alephito; 2008-09-29 at 17:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to alephito For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
You can use flasher to set rootfs in mmc. Then you will be able to boot (unless the kernel or initfs are borked) and see what happens.
If you do not have a bootable mmc, just make an ext2 partition on a external mmc and put debian on it: http://stskeeps.subnetmask.net/debia...-beta2.tar.bz2
Thanks, but that's beyond my possibilities.

Thank god the update went smoothly on my N800. I just reflashed last weekend because of that infinite looping thing. I sure didn't want to have to reflash again so soon.

One thing I noticed on the upgrade when I opened File Manager is that it installs new feature upgrade user guides in all languages in Documents and reinstalls the OS2008 images in Images. I had originally months ago deleted all but the English documentation and moved off the images to make more space in internal memory, So I wondered why I had less internal memory after the update and this was the problem. Thankfully there was an easy solution.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pushwall For This Useful Post:
Yes, danramos, I know. But it's a pity that the two SSU ended in a reflash for me, when the reflashing process was supposed to be a past thing.
Gotcha. Yeah.. would also be a little bit more than just nice if there was a way to get some debugging info on these upgrades (maybe a debugging log file written to the removable SD card) to report on what is specifically happening in these cases, since I'm sure Nokia can't plan for every circumstance.

Originally Posted by Pushwall View Post
One thing I noticed on the upgrade when I opened File Manager is that it installs new feature upgrade user guides in all languages in Documents and reinstalls the OS2008 images in Images. I had originally months ago deleted all but the English documentation and moved off the images to make more space in internal memory, So I wondered why I had less internal memory after the update and this was the problem. Thankfully there was an easy solution.
I don't understand why most of these media and document files are bundled in the OS. It seems to me that a bookmark to a website location to download a document would make more sense and waste a whole lot less space, leaving a lot more for the folks who didn't notice all that space being used up by an mp3, an avi and a whole bunch of PDF's--all of which contribute to problems when unknowing users run low on space.

Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
If using sliderotate it seems you can't update because xserver-xomap is not the right version.
yes it cannot be updated so i had to fresh reinstall and re-flash for it to work, will have to wait for a fix before updates can be done.

firmware updates went a little strange for my N810, all of a sudden update notification pop up so i check it then fired the update , i had the option for backup it started the download, installed, booted and all my apps were there no restore was needed. snappier responsive so good

T3 - IT 810
Confidence is hard to gain easy to loose impossible to regain, Pee

Closed Thread

Tags
diablo, os2008, ssu, upgrade