Closed Thread
Posts: 111 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Singapore
Anybody got scim fully working in Debian?

I got it working for gtk2 apps like leafpad, gedit where I can hold stylus for right click menu and select the input method to be scim. But for apps like iceweasel, openoffice etc, I can't change the input method. I would like to input Chinese in debian.

Thank you!

Hi,
Newbie question so apologies in advance. I unistalled the application but I have still have a strange problem with message boxes which appear outside the screen and not centered. Do you know the root cause?
Also, Quiver is not working anymore since I have installed the package.. any idea if it is some dependency i downloaded with the easy debian package or anyway do you know what might be the root cause?

Thanks in advance.

all,

I have two questions:
1) Is there a link to the image directly? I would like to download the image from my regular wired connection instead of slow wireless from the tablet.
2) If I got #1 , then would someone one give me a link for install instruction without using the "one-click install" method.

Thanks in advanced.
Cheers

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by cheve View Post
all,

I have two questions:
1) Is there a link to the image directly? I would like to download the image from my regular wired connection instead of slow wireless from the tablet.
2) If I got #1 , then would someone one give me a link for install instruction without using the "one-click install" method.

Thanks in advanced.
Cheers
Images and debs are in qole.maemobox.org

Bundyo - Very Cool!! I'll replace mine with this ASAP and see how it works.

Thanks!
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Originally Posted by darrennewman@sky.com View Post
Mine won't install either. Is this the error message you got?

"TAR ERROR

ERROR! ERROR! ERROR!

TAR FAILED!

(MAYBE OUT OF SPACE ERROR)

Unable to install EASY DEBIAN IMAGE FILE"

How did you go about fixing it?
I copied the tar file to my desktop machine, and unpacked the ext file with winrar. Then I copied the ext file back to the sd card.

I think I've borked maemo bzip, or whatever it's called. Xarchiver isn't working on my N800, either. I haven't had a chance to dig into it. Probably just a matter of reinstalling the packages.

The Following User Says Thank You to LordFu For This Useful Post:
Thanks LordFu, I will give it a go.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Well, now I'm going to have to release a new package, with Bundyo's new window opener (to eliminate the LXDE error), Matan's new matchbox window manager (to get rid of the goofy dialogs), and a method for unzipping the package that Matan suggested that will get rid of my need for gnutar as a dependency.

LordFu and darrennewman: Please try this:

Code:
sudo apt-get install --reinstall gnutar bzip2
Please report to me anything that looks like an error.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Reda View Post
Hi,
Newbie question so apologies in advance. I unistalled the application but I have still have a strange problem with message boxes which appear outside the screen and not centered. Do you know the root cause?
Probably because you didn't restart matchbox. The easy way is to reboot.

BTW, that's not a "strange problem" -- it's a known issue, described in the documentation. The options for matchbox window management include a fully-controlled setting, where dialogs are fixed at the center and cannot be moved, and a free-floating setting where they may be dragged around the screen. Unfortunately, the free setting causes them to be initially placed at 0,0. (There's also a version of the matchbox binary with enhanced behavior...)

In the latest version of easy-deb-chroot, this setting may be toggled (and matchbox restarted, to activate the change) from a couple of menu entries. In older versions, it's been always on, but gets reverted when uninstalling. However, manually restarting matchbox is still necessary.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Okay, hostwin with 3 parameters is back

Usage:
hostwin AppName /usr/bin/program "What should be written inside"

Starts the process asynchronously, watches it and closes itself after it dies. Shows the message too.

http://bundyo.org/maemo/hostwin.bz2
My second parameter used to be: 'sudo debian hilda xephwm LXDE startlxde1'

For this version of the app, I had to create a script (/usr/bin/debwm) with this one line in it.

Other than that, we seem to have a winner! No more annoying error messages! (also, the window isn't blank white anymore; I like that)

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
debian, firefox, gimp, java, openoffice