Reboot

In OS2008 X Terminal:
mv /media/mmc2/debian.img.ext2 /media/mmc2/old-debian.img.ext2
mv /media/mmc2/expand-debian.img.ext2 /media/mmc2/debian.img.ext2

Test Debian LXDE

Eventually, delete /media/mmc2/old-debian.img.ext2

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Entonian For This Useful Post:
Hi

Really newbie question... I have installed the "Turbo Charged Debian". It looks GREAT (many thanks!!!). I am not sure though that it is all set up correctly on my N810 as it takes about 3 min to open an OpenOffice document... Should it take that long or is something screwed with my installation?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
To get the best speed in OpenOffice, make sure you have virtual memory set to 128 MB (in Settings / Control Panel / Memory).

Wow! What a HUGE performance boost. It is now really usable. I am pretty impressed with this little device .

Thanks for the tip!

When doing the resize2fs.. I prefer to just copy the debian resize2fs to the maemo /usr/bin.

That eliminates the need for a PC with Linux, or Chrooting into Debian and resizing a second image file. This way you can just resize the original.

Highly recommend backing up the original of course - in case things go bad.. but if you are tight on space.. there's no reason you can't use the debian resize2fs from within maemo if you copy it over.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 161 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ SLO, CA; United States
I have noticed that if I run the synaptic package manager and do a package refresh, there are a number of system updates. If I navigate through the menus and try to update those packages to the new ones, I get an error indicating lack of space. Is this the expected result (i.e. will this happen for everyone), or is my system somehow messed up, and I need to partition more space, etc... any help would be appreciated. Other than that little hitch, I love this package. It is taking me back to the mid nineties when I played with Linux... Thanks qole!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
If you want to update your system, you can try the trick I mentioned above. First, from inside Debian chroot, issue an "apt-get clean" command. Then, from a root maemo prompt (or add "sudo" in front of the mount command):
Code:
mkdir -p /media/mmc1/debian-apt-archives/partial
mount -o bind /media/mmc1/debian-apt-archives /debian/var/cache/apt/archives
Note the /media/mmc1/debian-apt-archives path can be anything you want, as long as there is enough space there (50-100 MB).

Then, from inside the Debian chroot, you can issue an "apt-get upgrade" and all should be well.

Last edited by qole; 2008-10-31 at 00:16.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Is it my N800 or does anyone esle notice that Iceweasel seems to crash often?
I made sure and have it set on peformance mode, but I still get frequent browser crashes especially when viewing Internet tablet talk homepage...

Last edited by migs; 2008-10-27 at 23:53.

Ditch Iceweasel! There are several lighter browsers that wil do great. I've been real pleased with epiphany-gecko.

The Following User Says Thank You to samhogue For This Useful Post:
Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
Just installed Easy Debian Turbo-Charged Edition...THANKS qole!!!

Meanwhile, I just got today the necessary USB adaptors to be able to use a USB ethernet device on my N810.

Was hoping that I could use this in Debian....just did 'ifconfig -a' and only 'lo' and 'wlan0' were listed. So, I assume that I'll need to setup 'eth0' myself....

Can anyone please advise as to how to get this setup and working?

Thanks!

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

Closed Thread

Tags
debian, firefox, gimp, java, openoffice