Closed Thread
Pretty cool Qole! Keep it up!
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
Sorry to barge in on what sounds like a cool discussion (but one that's way over my head).

I'm trying to download some large flv files from sites like youtube and while there is enough space on the target mmc card, I'm getting a "not enough space in /tmp..." message. I've searched, but can't come up with much I could understand. Any tips, or is this a pipe dream? Thanks!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by lm2 View Post
Sorry to barge in on what sounds like a cool discussion (but one that's way over my head).

I'm trying to download some large flv files from sites like youtube and while there is enough space on the target mmc card, I'm getting a "not enough space in /tmp..." message. I've searched, but can't come up with much I could understand. Any tips, or is this a pipe dream? Thanks!
I have no idea what software you're using to download these flv files. I assume you're using Easy Debian apps to do it, but which one(s)?

A great maemo app for downloading and watching YouTube videos is mYTube.

Last edited by qole; 2008-10-31 at 20:17. Reason: YouTube apps?! I meant YouTube videos...

I have an N800 with Debian installed when ever I use IceWeasel or even Kazehakase, the browser will crash frequently on certain websites.. Is there something I'm doing wrong is this normal behavior?

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I have no idea what software you're using to download these flv files. I assume you're using Easy Debian apps to do it, but which one(s)?

A great maemo app for downloading and watching YouTube videos is mYTube.
Sorry. I'm using the firefox add on Download Helper. It can be used to dl embedded flvs on all sorts of sites.

Last edited by lm2; 2008-11-01 at 02:51.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
You can try editing your /home/user/.chroot file (install leafpad, open a terminal, and type "leafpad .chroot") then remove the # and change "#TMPSIZE=6M" to something much bigger, like "TMPSIZE=20M" (you have to look at the size of a downloaded flv file on your desktop to know what size you need).

In order for your new TMPSIZE to take effect, you need to make sure all Debian apps are closed, and then use the "Close Debian" icon on your menu. When you start Iceweasel again, it will use the new /tmp size. Also, see if there's anywhere in settings you can change the temp directory of that plugin to something other than /tmp.

A huge /tmp directory on the tablet isn't a good idea in general, so if you can find a way to change the temp dir in your plugin, that would be the best solution.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Qole,
Real interested to try the scripts to shut down Hildon and use 9menu. Can you access the Hildon file manager with 9menu? I want to access my Samba shares in LXDE without installing all the Samba stuff. What's the speed boost from shutting down Hildon?

I'm trying to package it all up for a new version...

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
Qole, Fanoush - I think I need a bit of Your help.
I'm trying to achieve two things.

Stage 1
n810's HW keyboard composed for polish language in UKEYBOAR style to have some consistency between maemo and Easy-Debian.

For that I need 'Chr' button to be additional modifier for polish symbols
ie. key "s" should do s,S(with Shift key),"(with Fn key),ś(sacute - with Chr key),Ś(Sacute - with both Chr and Shift keys).
Right now I've got problem with Chr key since it starts something like context menu and I can't find this behaviour via xmodmap.

Stage 2
To get full Polish keyboard for USB keyboards.
ie. key "s" should do s,S(with Shift key),ś(sacute - with Alt_R key),Ś(Sacute - with both Alt_R and Shift keys). I know that on maemo there's no difference with left or right alt key.
Right now I'm just after my first unsuccessful attempts but I've decided that stage 1 is more important.

Hi ! I am new here... recently bought an used n800
I really should have bought one before ! I was hesitating to buy one for quite some time actually !

I have been playing a bit with it for 2 days now and it's nice little device. Not hugely powerful but nice.

I tested your easy debian... it really is great. Installation was a breeze and it seem to work nicely.
Of course that's keeping in mind the n800 doesn't have huge horsepower... but still I was surprised at that I could open document in openoffice without too much hassle. It's slow of course but not as deadly slow as I would have expected.

So I really have to say you did a really nice job porting debian to the n800 ! I am really grateful

Closed Thread

Tags
debian, firefox, gimp, java, openoffice