Posts: 91 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Pacific NW
I think based on the info I have received from all you, I'm going to forego to rip my dvd I don't have time. So either take my laptop yikes, or just take the nokia for now and watch the wall lol.

I hope at least I could find free wifi, I know most aiports they charge a lot.....

About torrents yes, you are right is not worth the effort, never mind the IP tracking but the crap that is attached a lot of virus and bugs you have no idea what you might get.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
@searcher

Have a safe trip!

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

Actually once you get the hang of it.. it's not hard at all... Well, again, with Linux since that's what I know.

It just takes about 2 hours from start to finish.. I just plug in a DVD into my DVD drive.. run the one script I posted here.. and a short time later I have a 500MB or so avi file that I transfer to my Tablet.. which can then view it with no issues.

Using DVD Shrink (or K9 Copy for those on Linux) - you can go from a DVD to a avi file onto your machine that isn't optimized for tablets.. but then just use the converters online to make them tabletable. Like This.

Really.. if you got 2 hours.. it's quite easy. One of those cooking shows.. "Set it, and Forget it."
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Wichita, KS
Heh. "tabletable". I like that. It's kind of blowing my mind right now. it's like "palatable", but it looks like "table table". eh, i should probably get back to work....

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Pacific NW
I have to catch a flight later

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Snoshrk View Post
@searcher

I apologize for taking your Thread OT

To "copy" a DVD to your HD you will need a program like DVD Shrink. This will "Backup" the DVD to your HD.

A good place to start with DVD Shrink is the WIKI

With today's size of harddisks, you can also keep byte-by-byte copies of DVDs to backup without loss of quality and keeping the DVD menu. Players like mplayer, totem, xine, and (I think) vlc can all play from DVD images created with
Code:
dd if=/dev/dvd of=my-dvd-image.dvd
on Linux. No need for ripping and shrinking.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Players like mplayer, totem, xine, and (I think) vlc can all play from DVD images created with
Code:
dd if=/dev/dvd of=my-dvd-image.dvd
on Linux. No need for ripping and shrinking.
I believe you'll lose the CSS keys used to decrypt the DVD with that technique.

I think libdvdcss, which performs decryption for many (all?) open source DVD players, can usually figure out the keys anyway. But it's probably not the ideal solution.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I did not experience any decryption problems with DVD images so far.

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Illinois
I finally purchased an n800 internet tablet today on ebay. When ripping a DVD (I think I found a good program from download.com), what is the best format to rip to that plays the best on the tablet? Also does anybody know what format Amazon video-on-demand uses and if it's playable on the n800? I have some Pepsi points I can spend there.
Kevin