Active Topics

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Brasilia, Brazil
We should not forget we can change the power of Wifi radio from 100mW (default) to 10mW. This makes for me a big difference for battery life.
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...dio+power+10mw

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
We should not forget we can change the power of Wifi radio from 100mW (default) to 10mW. This makes for me a big difference for battery life.
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...dio+power+10mw
No, no it doesn't, actually. Anybody who claims it does is either insane or not accounting for all variables.

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
Quim, the statement here: http://www.nokia.com/A41041085

Quote:
We call this the no-load mode and typically two thirds of the energy that goes into a phone during its life is lost in this way.
/Quote.

With regard to the AC4U charger and the N800 the above statement from Nokia's website is absolute nonsense. There is no way 2/3rds of the energy going in is wasted by leaving the AC4U charger in 365 days a year.

You people have engineers working there with university degrees, right? Find one, and get your facts right.

The old heavy wall worts with the 50 hz (or 60 hz) transformers in them waste energy ( not 2/3rds of the phones consumption ) but the Nokia AC4U I know for a fact doesn't use much at idle (no load) at all. Way way under a kilowatt over a year time span.

Corporate policy may be a reason that this message appears in the N800/N810 but it is no excuse for misinformation. Ignorance is no excuse for leaving this unchanged. Nor is laziness, nor is sticking one's head in the sand instead of understanding technical facts. The warm fuzzy feeling managers get by not understanding technical matters and implementing policy like this perpetuates public ignorance that the environmental movement thrives on for donations to do even more harm globally. Maybe you (and others at Nokia) do not understand these things but the founder of the GreenPeace organization does and that is why he left the organization he started......GreenPeace is a hijacked entity with ignoramuses at the helm today. Does Nokia really need to be aligned with people like GreenPeace and Al Gore?

Whatever.....do what you want, but don't expect people who know the truth to like it. It just makes everyone at Nokia look stupid when they say that 2/3rd of the energy a cellphone uses is wasted by the wall wort being plugged in all the time.......especially when we know that the Nokia AC4U for example uses less than 10 cents U.S. (under 500 microamps) powered up no load 365 days a year. This very low idle current is typical of many switching power adapters for cellular phones from the other manufactures too such as Samsung, Motorola, LG, HTC. It is a myth that unplugging the AC4U and chargers like it will save anything substantial whatsoever. Stop perpetuating the myth.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
...you're wasting your time...

....seriously....

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Quote:
We call this the no-load mode and typically two thirds of the energy that goes into a phone during its life is lost in this way.
/Quote.

I don't really doubt this figure. "Typically" means that for all the mobile device chargers in the world. Nokia has "best of class" chargers, of course. Anyway, people tend to keep them attached 24/7/365 to the plug, while the average percentage of time that they are used to actually charge a mobile device is low.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
As said, Maemo SW thinks that this prompt is more useful than useless and this is why the WORKSFORME in the enhancement request. We donīt see the big issue here and we have other priorities to address.

Personally I think you want us to invest our time in other topics more relevant to Maemo users at large, and even to yourselves. I know my time is limited and you want me pushing other things.

If you really think all this is wrong then you can simply go to the source and ask/campaign there. If you are successful you will change the prompt message or behavior all across Nokia platforms.

Good luck!

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
...and, given that it has already been demonstrated that displaying that message every time the charger is unplugged is actually consuming more energy than would be saved(!!!!) and they've decided not to change anything, I doubt that any campaigning or good luck wishes will do much.

What you might try is this: head out to a nearby forested or semi-forested area. select a tree. hug it. this will make the tree happy, and it may (in its happier state) convert some statistically insigificant greater number of carbon dioxide molecules back into oxygen than it would have had you not hugged it. you also might try talking to it.

hey, wait a minute... you know what?? we should cut down a tree in each forested area, and fashion it into a sign that tells everyone how happy trees produce more oxygen!!! would we have to ask Nokia for permission to use their logic for this endeavor, or is it in the public domain?

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by briand View Post
...and, given that it has already been demonstrated that displaying that message every time the charger is unplugged is actually consuming more energy than would be saved(!!!!) and they've decided not to change anything, I doubt that any campaigning or good luck wishes will do much.
Well, please don't pull figures or statements like that out of your ***.
Displaying that message doesn't consume virtually any power. The system is on anyway.

In general, I fail to see why people see companies going and promoting green activities as something bad, like it's some global evil conspiracy. It would be much easier and cheaper for Nokia not to promote and drive ecologically friendly activities.

http://www.greenpeace.org/internatio...panies-line-up

I'm not a big fan of Greenpeace, but they do try to measure this number out of many individual activities. Things like launching energy rating standards with other companies cost money. One can say that companies do green activities to promote themselves, but then again, companies do promote themselves, in many different ways, and at least for me doing something positive is much better promotion than just buying TV ads.

One person disconnecting their charger is like one person recycling or turning their lights off after a days work. One person won't change the world, but having millions of people reminded, and perhaps then plugging out more than one charger, and perhaps thinking about energy consumption of his or her devices in general, and perhaps doing something about it will have an effect in total.

When the alternative seems to put your head firmly in the sand like an ostrich and to deny all problems relating to energy use, global warming etc., I for one am happy that a company like Nokia tries to do something about something. When a huge company does even small changes and small improvements, it has big effects.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Does the N810's backlight stay on when it is off and charging? The N800's does, and I was wondering if this is fixed in the N810. If it isn't, someone should file a bug to make sure that this is fixed in the next device. Leaving the backlight on while nominally "off" is a terrible waste of power, much more than leaving the charger plugged in.

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
Originally Posted by ragnar
Well, please don't pull figures or statements like that out of your ***.
Displaying that message doesn't consume virtually any power. The system is on anyway.
When my N800 is done charging, and I'm about to unplug it, the screen is dark. When I unplug it, it lights up the screen and displays the message that I should unplug the charger from the wall outlet -- are you implying that there is no extra energy consumption required to power the tablet's screen? (and, if so, why is there an energy-saving, battery-saving option to dim the screen in the first place?)

as for the origin of "these figures", simply read through this entire thread. someone has already extrapolated how much energy is "wasted" by leaving the charger unit connected to the wall outlet, and has compared that figure to the power consumption figures on the specification sheet for a typical LCD display of similar size and backlighting technology.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to briand For This Useful Post: