Posts: 6 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Athens, Greece
As I stated before I can help with the hosting, I can provide a vhost (I will not manage it sorry no time) but the vhost will be in an unlimited 100Mbps pipe and I can supply about 50GB of space (maybe more but I need to check how much space I got left in that server)

Edit: I will be able to set it up after the 11th of January (I am currently on vacation)
The vhost will be hosted on the university I work for and as long as it is OSS software there is no problem hosting anything.

Last edited by gpant; 2008-12-20 at 21:02.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gpant For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Don't forget its not only bandwidth. Its also costing resources on the server. Maybe running an alternative for Apache (e.g. Lighttpd) or a reverse HTTP proxy with Squid might covers some of those problems.

We push about 2 TB of web traffic per day, I think we can manage the maemobox site, but if it needs so many resources I could move it latter to a VM on its own. We already host other OSS projects like the hellug site, source repos for the openSUSE Build Service as well as dedicated torrents for openSUSE. What we can provide is the hosting part, we unfortunately cant provide any technical support (other than the initial setup that is) and I understand how taxing a site like maemobox can be.

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
gpant if I can get hosting by you for maemobox.org I will manage it and keep it going. Anyway I can put a good panel on there for auto account signups. 50gb would be enough the bandwidth is the big thing. I can setup accounts to only get a few hundred mb at first and for someone like qole and qwerty12 I'll give them more. I would even be willing to pay a little and collect donations to help pay for server and maybe even upgrade hard drive if we need to. Let me know if we can get this going to keep service up.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
gpant if I can get hosting by you for maemobox.org I will manage it and keep it going. Anyway I can put a good panel on there for auto account signups. 50gb would be enough the bandwidth is the big thing. I can setup accounts to only get a few hundred mb at first and for someone like qole and qwerty12 I'll give them more.
Ok I am returning at work on the 11th of Jan, I will need 2-3 days to setup.

Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
I would even be willing to pay a little and collect donations to help pay for server and maybe even upgrade hard drive if we need to. Let me know if we can get this going to keep service up.
We cannot accept money as a public university, we can provide services but cant get anything in return for them, thanks for the offer :-)

ahh cool I didn't know it was a college server lol. What university is it?

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Panteion University Of Social and Political Sciences - http://www.panteion.gr

As of today Maemobox is closing all account except for: bunanson,tim_edmonds, qole, qwerty12, timsamoff. I feel these are the only accounts using maemobox for what its for after a few weeks and maybe a server move I will open registration up again but you will have to explain what you want to use the service for. I found atleast one account that was hosting an add site and mostly where my resources where going.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
I have redesigned Maemobox.org and reopened the service today. To keep server resources down now you must submit and application to become a member for Maemobox. I have also starting taking donations for either members or people who just want to keep the service going so they can download these nice projects. There is also a new option of ordering an account that really isn't Maemo Community related.

Check out the new site now. http://www.maemobox.org

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
I setup a new service today to allow users to signup for a yourname.maemobox.org blog you can choose your own plugins and themes but you are limited to 100Mb HD and 1GB transfer. Plus you do not get ftp/shh access but its free. Also to try and help me cover cost of the server I added a few ads to my home page. If you can't or don't want to donate feel free to click some ads.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post: