Active Topics

Does any know what is the cd command in xterminal to removable memory card either be it internal or removable memory cards, I know that this command cd MyDocs/.documents is the command for n800 memory but it is 232 memory think i need to untar a big file in any of my sd cards cuz they have enough memory for the task. Or should i untar the file in my laptop with linux that has way more than the 2 sd cards and transfer the untar file back to the sd card????

thankyou in advance for you help i love this forum i love the n800 i had the option for the n810 but n800 can do a lot more

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
the media cards are accessible from the terminal with:

cd /media/mmc1

or

cd /media/mmc2

depends which you have the card in.
on my n810:
mmc1 is the removable card.
mmc2 is the fixed internal card.

as for where you should decompress the file, thats upto you

The Following User Says Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
You don't have to be in the directory where you want to put the uncompressed files. you can tell tar to extract them to any directory on any drive.

Ya know, I've never understood why they label the removable drive mmc1 and the internal fixed drive mmc2. That honestly makes no sense to me. >.<

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
Ya know, I've never understood why they label the removable drive mmc1 and the internal fixed drive mmc2. That honestly makes no sense to me. >.<
That comes from N800, which I believe was 'borned' earlier than N810

bun

Yeah, well, they could at least have put the right order on the n810. It's not like they didn't have enough time.

It makes no sense on the N800 either. I've learned the correct order, but why they named them in the order they did is something only the person who named them knows. It's backward, but it is what it is.

Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
It makes no sense on the N800 either. I've learned the correct order, but why they named them in the order they did is something only the person who named them knows. It's backward, but it is what it is.
For those not in the know: the "backwardsness" here is literal, not merely a preference. Specifically, the underlying devices are mapped to mountpoints as:
Code:
/dev/mmcblk0p1   ->  /media/mmc2
/dev/mmcblk1p1   ->  /media/mmc1
It's wrong, and makes no sense, but it's not the sort of thing you can afford to fix, because so much else depends on it.

Like I said, a choice was made to code it that way, and we may never know exactly why that choice was made. I agree that it's too late to change it. We just have to live with it.

thankyou guys you rock