Active Topics

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Nice. What would be useful in addition to this is to get linkable object file (.o) implementing the charging procedure.
That's one thing - or people can implement open source hald-addon-bme for instance
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Currently the only closed critical part is battery charging.
Wifi and sound are working fine?
(this is genuine curiosity, last I heard the open wifi driver wasn't completely functional and couldn't work alongside the dsp)

The Following User Says Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Wireless works.. although I have troubles using network-manager that comes default with this install.. it disconnects after 10-15 minutes and won't ever reconnect to my network. If I configure it manually (using wpa_supplicant & dhcpd) it will stay connected all day. Don't know why.

Sound I don't know...
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Guatemala
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
You're getting too excited if you think any company that wants to sell devices releases their schematics officially.
Niagara, Freerunner, OLPC2, etc.?

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
BTW, I searched for the schematics on the G1 and can't find any "official" schematics on the T-Mobile site, nor HTC's one.
Exactly, G1 is closed, remember?

Huh? Fortunately you already proved yourself wrong by messing with Mer and newer kernels ;-)
Please! do us a favor then and compile for us a useable latest kernel (2.6.29-rc3) and if DPS, sound, GPS, bluetooth, WiFi, cpufreq, production mode, CPU retention and probably many other things _works_ in Maemo, Mer, whatever: you are done, you prove me wrong.

Don't you really get it, the real message, do you? Repeat after me:

"The _only_ working kernel for current Nokia Internet Tablets is the 2.6.21 Nokia production release".

God now that I want that people prove me wrong on this, really...

I started working on fixing this situation, very slowly but progressing as far as a self-motivated non-expert could, but really, at least I decided to work for the common good.

Now that a real expert like you step up to the plate I'm glad I can finally RIP.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to solca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by solca View Post
Don't you really get it, the real message, do you? Repeat after me:

"The _only_ working kernel for current Nokia Internet Tablets is the 2.6.21 Nokia production release".
Currently true but that does not mean we are stuck with 2.6.21 forever.

Any piece of HW will get old, G1 or N810, there is no difference. IMO the N810 is open enough. Support for new stuff on N810 will gradually fade due to loss of interest, not because the HW is closed.

I started working on fixing this situation, very slowly but progressing as far as a self-motivated non-expert could, but really, at least I decided to work for the common good.
You are doing great job.

Now that a real expert like you step up to the plate I'm glad I can finally RIP.
Sorry to disappoint you

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2009-02-03 at 18:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 109 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Guatemala
Currently true but that does not mean we are stuck with 2.6.21 forever.
Really, based on factual evidence?

Any piece of HW will get old, G1 or N810, there is no difference. IMO the N810 is open enough. Support for new stuff on N810 will gradually fade due to loss of interest, not because the HW is closed.
Huh... Interest is high, it just seems ppl here believe that some old drivers' source code means open HW, good luck porting those drivers without documentation.

Sorry to disappoint you
No prob, talk is cheap

PS. @Maemo councils: Ask Nokia to put 1 day all Linux engineers in a coding sprint to fix support for 770/N8x0 in recent kernels, that would be a good service to the community IMO.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to solca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland

Contacts-hildon on Mer.

dates-hildon on Mer.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2009-02-03 at 20:59.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
@Maemo councils: Ask Nokia to put 1 day all Linux engineers in a coding sprint to fix support for 770/N8x0 in recent kernels, that would be a good service to the community IMO.
Yes please. I believe this to be a big key to the future success of the current hardware. If we can't get recent kernels fully working on the tablets, projects like Mer will never really reach their full potential.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:

God now that I want that people prove me wrong on this, really...

This is all that I'm working on at the moment. I plan on being successful, but worst case I should have some very good notes. More as I know.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
PS. @Maemo councils: Ask Nokia to put 1 day all Linux engineers in a coding sprint to fix support for 770/N8x0 in recent kernels, that would be a good service to the community IMO.
I'm taking the attitude that, "If Nokia won't do it, I will." Wish me luck; I'll call if I need some help, but I'm optimistic with my current plan. And just to be clear, I'm optimistic 'cause "Ignorance is bliss."

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:

Tags
mer, mer release firmware