I'm wondering why there is a significant browser speed difference between my n800 and my laptop. For example, to load www.amazon.com, my laptop takes less than 5 seconds, while N800 takes more than 20 seconds. Both of them are on the same wifi network. Is this normal?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Umm... CPU speed?!?

yes,

the crap "modern web 2.0" like webpages tend to show (flash animations, dhtml animations and effects, and everything else you usually don't need or care) tend to be heavy even on a full blown desktop, so actually you are limited by the rendering speed of the n800 not the internet connection.

Just turn off java for the browser, that will make it!

Amazon loads in 5 seconds

Greetings toxnox

The Following User Says Thank You to toxnox For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Yeah its not download speed its rendering speed its kinda funny faster the make the web the slower people make there sites. I've seen sites that download a dozen or more flash animations one on little page. Even Regular template for this site is hard for the browser to render

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
and this is different from regular software, how?

hell, even nokia will toss around more bling come maemo5...

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Originally Posted by tso View Post
and this is different from regular software, how?

hell, even nokia will toss around more bling come maemo5...
Your right the more bling the better these days who cares how it runs

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
I know this is a sore point, but I find that mobile-specific sites less frustrating.
See this excellent list.
"Yeah, yeah, internet tablet should show the real internet." Whatever.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpramlak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
the sad point, imo, is that many are really aimed at iphone...

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by emmaitt View Post
I'm wondering why there is a significant browser speed difference between my n800 and my laptop. For example, to load www.amazon.com, my laptop takes less than 5 seconds, while N800 takes more than 20 seconds. Both of them are on the same wifi network. Is this normal?
Amazon's Homepage is one of the slowest of those I've landed on. Hence, I use the Amazon plugin for the Tablet's Internet Search Desktop Applet, and thereby skip the homepage. Ditto for eBay and Wikipedia. Once you're past their homepages, things aren't as slow-loading.

And a compromise I often use, that gives much better content than a page stripped down for the iPhone, but loads faster than if it were au naturelle, is to pop the URL into skweezer.com. Using skweezer with the page-down tweak on the hardware button gets you places pretty fast.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)