Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by ace View Post
I'd love a large (7" screen or bigger) tablet with 2 full-size USB ports, 2 full-size SD slots and video out (maybe composite + HDMI). And the killer feature would be the incredible battery life, far more than any netbook.

It could even have a keyboard/dock, which would turn it into a full-fledged netbook, except for the ability to run x86 code.

You couldn't carry it in a pocket, but it'd be convenient in bed or on the couch.
If the only difference between the two models is the display, then I wouldn't be that interested. But the key is what is the performance and battery life delta between the two? How much does the larger display hurt battery life?

There is no reason the 4" model can't have a docking station. I'd much rather have that than two models where the only difference is the size.

I thought I recently saw a headline of Nokia pondering about entering the laptop/netbook market; didn't read the story though.

But I do rather like the NIT format and I'm also waiting to see some compact ARM-based netbooks with long battery life. Generally Nokia has the ability to do nice hardware designs but historically their software approach hasn't been the most customer-centric (although in the mobile industry most players are equally bad so that hasn't been a massive handicap so far).

If someone like Canonical/Ubuntu stood behind the software with Debian-like repos of ARM-ports and by elimating the "planned obsolescense factor", I'd certainly be interested in seeing Nokia's hardware designs for the platform, whether they were in MID or netbook format.

Nokia's competitors in Taiwan, Korea, Japan and increasingly in the PRC often churn out huge number of slightly different devices to see what sticks so I can't see why Nokia couldn't test the waters with a few devices themselves.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
I've got a desire for a lightweight, tablet device (about the size of an A4 piece of paper or so) for use in the home when planning things (romantic getaways, looking at maps etc.).

Effectively, the TechCrunch tablet - but, y'know, really real.

However, it'd have to be cheap to justify the few times I'd use it (but when I did, I'd love it); it'd have to have a docking station to keep it neat somewhere in the living space of the house; it'd have to have a nice fast processor (OMAP3 might do).

Unfortunately, I don't think such a device is feasible (unless it's an RX-71 ;-))

Well, Ace has some good suggestions for extra features that'd make the tablet more appealing. And given it's larger size, it could be focused towards more multimedia applications too.

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
As close to a 7" Nokia you'll be getting anytime soon (if their release date is to be believed)

http://i.gizmodo.com/5162584/always-...e-frankenstein

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to theflew For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
7in seems way too large. The ideal size before sliding and folding would be a device that is all screen and 4x6in.

I have to agree - a device that has a 7" display is to large to be pocketable & handheld, which makes it a whole know device for me (more of a netbook or small tablet).

For me the size & weight of the current Nxx are ideal to quickly throw in my pocket and go. I agree that with some bezel work, you could easily get a 4.5" display in the NIT & possibly a 5.0" display without a major impact on size. Of course, I don't want battery life to be greatly effected (it's still got to last a full length movie + some).

Having a Video Out would offer the most flexiblity - this lets the user decide which way they want to use the device. If video out could be wireless (either through WLAN or proprietary device), that be the icing on the cake.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
a larger slate which runs the same software/data as my pocketable device and has a telepathic link to show my stuff no matter where I create or use it sounds ideal.

I've got a space on my wall I would really like to put something like this

Originally Posted by theflew View Post
As close to a 7" Nokia you'll be getting anytime soon (if their release date is to be believed)

http://i.gizmodo.com/5162584/always-...e-frankenstein
Definitely interesting, although it'll almost certainly be less capable and more expensive than they promise, like most gadgets.

A couple changes that I'd make: I'd add a OLPC-like handle to the keyboard/dock in order to help stabilize it. I expect its screen is comparatively heavy and makes it unbalanced in netbook mode.

Also, I'd like a full-size SD slot (or two) and video-out. A 2.5" drive bay in the dock would be nice.

Things I particularly like: a second battery in the dock, and plenty of USB ports.

I doubt I'll be an early adopter, but I hope it succeeds.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
If you check the news, you will see that a non-pocketable device called the Kindle has apparently been commercially viable.

Now, what if someone offered the equivalent of a Kindle plus? Color, of course, with some kind of good ebook reader, and good browser -- you'd think it would have to succeed.