Active Topics

Notices

Well, the sound effects and music do not work because(I assume) they are ogg files.

I added the ogg support that you can download from maemo.org and while I can play the OGG files now in media player they still do not work in the game. I get:

[12:38:54.24] Sound::init() Initializing sound...
[12:38:54.30] Sound::info() SDL_mixer: 1.2.6 (compiled)
[12:38:54.30] Sound::info() SDL_mixer: 1.2.6 (linked)
[12:38:54.30] Sound::info() Driver: esd
[12:38:54.30] Sound::info() Format: S16LSB
[12:38:54.30] Sound::info() Rate: 22050
[12:38:54.30] Sound::info() Channels: 2

So no errors init'ng sound system

but then:

[13:38:57.57] Sound::startMusic() Playing "/media/mmc1/share/tmw/data/music/Magick - Real.ogg" -1 times
[13:38:57.58] Sound::startMusic() Warning: error loading file: Module format not recognized

Soooo it still doesn't like the ogg files, however it is trying to load them. I am trying to find the code that actually lists what files get played when and see if I can change it to MP3 or something silly like that and then convert the ogg to mp3 files.

The sound effects are much the same I assume since they are:

bat-dying1.ogg
bat-hit1.ogg
bow_shoot_1.ogg
fire-goblin-hit1.ogg
fire-goblin-hit2.ogg
fire-goblin-miss1.ogg
fist-swish.ogg
flower-hit1.ogg
flower-hit2.ogg
flower-miss1.ogg
fluffy-hit1.ogg
fluffy-hit2.ogg
fluffy-hit3.ogg
fluffy-hurt1.ogg
fluffy-miss1.ogg
knife-hit1.ogg
knife-miss1.ogg
levelup.ogg
loghead-hurt1.ogg
loghead-hurt2.ogg
loghead-hurt3.ogg
loghead-hurt4.ogg
loghead-hurt5.ogg
maggot-dying1.ogg
maggot-hit1.ogg
maggot-hit2.ogg
maggot-miss1.ogg
pinkie-hit1.ogg
pinkie-miss1.ogg
scorpion-hit1.ogg
scorpion-hit2.ogg
scorpion-hit3.ogg
scorpion-hit4.ogg
scorpion-miss1.ogg
short-sword-hit1.ogg
short-sword-miss1.ogg
shroom-hit1.ogg
slime-hit1.ogg

onward and upward...

-John

Last edited by tobiasj; 2009-03-24 at 13:58.

The Following User Says Thank You to tobiasj For This Useful Post:
I have been playing TMW for over 2 years now and IMHO, the music is not needed. It is nice for the first week or so to hear background music, but then it gets annoying. Personally, even on my desktop, I play my own music in the background and have the TMW sound turned off.

Wishing this didn't put anything in my home directly. I symlinked .tmw (which has settings, downloads, cache and the like) to a spot on /media/mmc1, but it would be nice to be just have it directly write there...

With regards to performance, there are some in game settings which can be tweaked to improve matters quite nicely.

Last edited by Picklesworth; 2009-03-24 at 14:55.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
About the sound - there are two routes - you can convert the sounds to mp3, or use the way linman got Widelands working with sound (if I remember correctly). r maybe there is some new way of going ogg in SDL, but I don't know about it. Didn't port anything recently.

Originally Posted by Picklesworth View Post
Wishing this didn't put anything in my home directly. I symlinked .tmw (which has settings, downloads, cache and the like) to a spot on /media/mmc1, but it would be nice to be just have it directly write there...

With regards to performance, there are some in game settings which can be tweaked to improve matters quite nicely.
Well, I did say quick and dirty. Most of the locations can be changed when I configure the build.
When I make the next build to give to people there will be some sweeping changes, including locations.

-John

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
About the sound - there are two routes - you can convert the sounds to mp3, or use the way linman got Widelands working with sound (if I remember correctly). r maybe there is some new way of going ogg in SDL, but I don't know about it. Didn't port anything recently.
I will try to find out how linman got ogg working in Widelands, it isnt so much the music as the sound effects that I want working. Thing is, if I fix one I have fixed them both, so you get an option, music or not, sound or not. The choice of sound or not is all I am after really.

I like the fact that they built keymapping into the configuration settings in game so I dont have to change any mappings in the code. I may however make a default NIT config file and put it into the next release so that you dont HAVE to change them to make it work properly. (I LOVE using 'a' and then 'L-CTRL' to attack rather than trying to click on the tiny little things,well in the desktop version anyway.. it is 'R-CTRL' on the NIT).

-John

I believe that Widelands is using libsdl-mixeroggwav package, which is static libsdl-mixer library with ogg support. You should be able to use it as a replacement for libsdl-mixer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
According to the Widelands thread, he custom compiled a libSDL_mixer1.2.8 and you had to install that to make it work.

I installed it on my n810 and it didnt help, though I didnt expect it to because I compiled with 1.2.6.

Problem is I can not find 1.2.8-1 to install in scratchbox I can only find 1.2.8-5 and it has SOOOOO many dependency issues with things I am concerned about upgrading because then nothing I compile may work on the tablets anymore.

Oh well, I will keep looking and plugging away at it.

try to use libsdl-mixeroggwav1.2-dev package when building

The Following User Says Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
try to use libsdl-mixeroggwav1.2-dev package when building
I run into this...

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libsdl-mixer1.2-dev: Depends: libsdl-mixer1.2 (= 1.2.6-4) but 1.2.8-1 is to be installed
libsdl-mixeroggwav1.2-dev: Conflicts: libsdl-mixer1.2-dev but 1.2.6-4 is to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

Thanks, and I will keep looking...

-John