Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
The center button on the d-pad is a duplication of the enter key. If You didn't want to duplicate the d-pad you could have had 4 arrow keys, one per row on the left. You could then have shortened the "Fn" key and the right shift key and thus made room for a menu key where it is usually found on a keyboard. And it still would have been okay to have a 2nd menu key on the screen bezel.
... And why would we wanted to do that?

And why would layout changes on the keyboard area make it any more okay to add a key to the screen bezel?

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
I think moving the D-pad was a real bad decision. And even worse is the decision to move the menu key inside.

So what viable reason can someone give for sending the menu key inside?

One good use of the d-pad outside was i could skip the tracks in the media player without taking the n800 out of my pocket. Can you do that now?

Last edited by sachin007; 2009-04-21 at 21:20. Reason: add

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
... And why would we wanted to do that?

And why would layout changes on the keyboard area make it any more okay to add a key to the screen bezel?
Firstly. Sure, put it back on the screen bezel. And here's another reason why: It's the mistake-buffer between the home key and the escape key. I like to hold down the home key to clear the screen, but it's way too easy on an n810 to close an app by mistake.

Secondly. It was a compromise on my part. You already have 2 enter keys and 2 shift keys. Why stop there? At least my suggestion doesn't cause duplication on the same plane.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
One good use of the d-pad outside was i could skip the tracks in the media player without taking the n800 out of my pocket. Can you do that now?
I use the +/- keys for that, but I guess that depends on the player, too.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
The center button on the d-pad is a duplication of the enter key.
There is some difference. I just found out while playing anagramarama You can enter words with d-pad center, but not with enter.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
I sense that the strategy here is to minimize risks to an acceptable level. The more open Nokia is initially with the development of a new tablet, the less risk they can afford to take with the design of the tablet.

One of the ways to reduce the risk is to migrate towards a less innovative and more proven (and perhaps trendy) design concept. Keep this up long enough and we'll end up with yet another iphone clone.

Sure it'll be open source and very likely much better on paper than an iphone, but it probably won't make a dent in iphone sales.

In which case I believe that one of the new models will sport a finger touch only interface (no stylus, no keyboard).

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Everyone keeps getting really hung up on this whole stylus keyboard thing... so since this is idle speculation, my two cents: The fact that we're all working from is the definite confirmation that there is no longer a style keyboard supported in Maemo 5 natively. Is this the elimination of stylus flat out? Heck no. Is this proof that they're moving away from the use of a stylus? Again, heck no. I use my N800 on a regular basis, and have become quite proficient with the stylus keyboard for typing... but that's really only because the onscreen "finger" keyboard is terrible to use, and there's no physical keyboard unless you get into a USB or BT one. Now, I understand the N810 has a physical keyboard that has some short comings/isn't as great as people would like it to be... but the underlying point here is, the stylus keyboard existed because it was the least of the evils available: sure it took up some screen space, but it was less screen space than the finger keyboard and thus made a lot more sense for "using the device and typing on it"; after all, one of the biggest features of the NITs is multiple things happening at the same time... you can have multiple apps open and switch between them, you can be reading IM's and replying at the same time (contrast this to text messaging), etc. So in my mind the biggest problem with the finger keyboard was that it didn't fit that model... you couldn't use it to type and see what was happening at the same time; and the hardware keyboard on the N810 was the opposite, it gave you the benefits of no screen space lost, but it kind of stunk because it wasn't a great keyboard to use (so I hear). So the point remains... if Maemo 5/RX-51/Whatever SOLVES either one of those problems (or both), then the stylus keyboard is simply no longer necessary. It's a basic usage case, that's all. Not some evil conspiracy to eliminate stylii, just a logical step in making a better user experience. I would put it akin with worrying that because they dropped the Nokia Tablet Video converter thing (whatever the official name was) that means there will no longer be video playback support on the tablets. It was a tool that was implemented to help solve a problem, did a decent job at it, and now has become unnecessary because of better technologies/alternatives.
(and correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Nokia buy out that company that was making that tactile feedback touchscreen stuff a little while back... if that's the case and they're implementing a tactile feedback screen with a hardware keyboard option, what's the point in the stylus keyboard where you don't get the benefit of either? Heck, even if they just made the finger keyboard semi transparent or something it'd be pretty darn useable)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
@Jolouis

I own both an n800 and an n810. For some of my use cases I have to work around the short comings of the n810. You're wrong in theory and you're wrong in practice. And Nokia is further wrong in Fremantle and I speculate they'll be further wrong on the first Fremantle device.

One thing you're close to right about is the stylus keyboard is implemented poorly. Maybe in the coming months I'll be able to demonstrate what a better stylus keyboard will be like for some use cases.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Perhaps they have made some major changes to the hardware keyboard and/or to the terrible finger keyboard. If that is the reasoning for dropping the stylus keyboard, I for one would be thrilled (provided the changes work well in practice).

I fear that the UI has changed to be so finger friendly that it was decided to drop the stylus keyboard lest someone complain that it was not finger friendly and isn't a "good fit" with the UI. If that is the case then perhaps the UI has gone too far into being finger friendly. Perhaps that makes the stylus redundant and unnecessary, hence the concern over whether or not a stylus will be included.

The real issue is whether or not the UI has changed enough to impact how I would use the tablet. From what I have seen (file manager screenshots, new way to close/cancel dialog boxes, removal of the stylus keyboard), I believe it has.

Although there are some indications (some of the Fremantle Stars) that Nokia hasn't dropped the stylus yet, it sure seems like they are progressing in that direction.

For instance, if the core/stock/included apps are all finger friendly, why include a stylus? Why not sell it as an add-on accessory for those people that feel it is required to interact with the third party apps they choose to install?

From what I have seen/heard/read, I am concerned that I will have to wait for a multitude of hacks from the community to achieve the same or better user experience with the new tablet. This of course is one of the strong points of the tablets, that it is even possible. I have seen people buy a Ford car, and replace the motor and drivetrain with Chevy parts. Seems like it would have been easier buy a Chevy and tweak it instead. There appear to be some interesting competitors on the horizon, hopefully Nokia won't loose too many current customers to them.

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
[Menu key] Sure, put it back on the screen bezel. And here's another reason why: It's the mistake-buffer between the home key and the escape key. I like to hold down the home key to clear the screen, but it's way too easy on an n810 to close an app by mistake.
Especially as some subgenius decided to swap the home and escape keys between the N800 and N810, which is a real pita when you still use both daily and alternatively.

I demanded that this person be shot a year ago, but have not received confirmation.

The Following User Says Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:

Tags
i want my mtv, pass the butter, pub talk, wet dreams, wishful thinking