Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by sla_erick View Post
ok, ive followed all the instuctions, i want to clone the OS to the 2 GB INTERNAL memory so i can have more space for installing apps and have my 8 GB SD free for other stuff. So ive cloned it to the internal memory, after the first clone when it rebooted it started with Bootmenu, so i select boot from INTERNAL MMC, not from INTERNAL FLASH, but i got "Boot from internal failed, booting from flash". What am i doing wrong? Ive partitioned my 2 gb (1.9 gb) in these:

896 for the first FAT partition (I guess this is the space where i can store files from my computer, docs, music etc, but not very usuable since it is less tha a GB)

512 for the Second FAT partition ( I think this is the SWAP partition, as i know this is the space that is used for running a lot of apps ath the same time)

512 for the Linux partition ( i dont know what this is for)

so please, can someone help me understand what am i doing wrogn or simply whats the partitions for? Im only doing this because i want a lot of space so i can install more apps and i want it to be more fast.

Thank you
Yes, this will occaisonally happen, I would suggest first trying to reintall bootmenu, or just start the whole process over again.

The partition FAT (this is /media/mmc1 or mmc2) This is the disk that is shared if you plug in a usb cable to windows.

The second FAT partition is a error in my copying scripts, its actuall the SWAP partition size

The third partition is the one the Flash will be cloned to
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 33 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Houghton Lake, MI
I have been very happy that today I formatted my N810's internal memory, installed and used pbeasy (thank you SO MUCH, Penguinbait!) to do the partitioning and cloning - and I know NOTHING about linux.

Now here's the rub: When I reboot, I get the menu with my options to boot from flash or from internal memory or from external memory - the last two selections have N/A after them. If I choose the internatl memory, I get a message "boot from mm6 failed, booting from flash" .

I'm not sure what I did wrong, it couldn't be the program because it said everything cloned successfully. What should I do now to fix this? The only reason I'm doing it is so that I can have more space for programs.

Thank you so much .

chiaowl

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Chiaowl, first I'd go with this from the FAQ Penguinbait references in Post #1:

Q: I did the Clone, and I now have a text menu appear when it starts up, but it will only boot off the first item (jffs2)
A: Even though the Clone appeared to complete successfully, it didn't. You need to re-run the Clone a second time.

Thank you again, I read that until my eyes were crossed and, apparently, still missed it! I read so much before I wrote, so I wouldn't miss anything...sorry for the bother, I'll try that first...

chiaowl

OK, did that...now my menu has 3 options:
internal flash
internal mmc card, p2, ext 3
power off

No matter which of the 2 I choose, it still boots to the original flash of 256MB, and in file manager the internal memory card shows no files/folders; it only shows the internal (empty) and external memory cards and the device memory.

I had thought that I would see virtual drives, obviously I'm wrong.

What next? Start from scratch with a format again, then partition, then clone? (Tomorrow, because my head is swimming with it after reading so much stuff today, over and over again.)

chiaowl

I don't know what the problem is. You have the latest OS, yes, 43-7, yes? And you disabled Virtual Memory before using Penguinbait's console-tools?

If you're lucky, PB will show up here and tell you what your problem is.

But if that doesn't happen, you could try my "second-easiest" way to clone and set up dual-booting. Unfortunately, I haven't used it with the latest OS; I'm not positive it will work right; and if you have problems, I may be very rusty when it comes to offering solutions. OTOH, lots of people used it and got it right the first time. Also, I'd be grateful to find out if it still works! And you'd get more of an education (mothers I know say things like this build character ).

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

LOL! Actually I would LOVE to learn how to figure things out myself, it is frustrating to not know. I need a "for dummies" book (or online tutorial or somesuch).

I'm going back to square 1 and starting over while trying to find more information (in the event that penguinbait doesn't come to this thread anymore?) but my at-home job is answering phones/scheduling appointments so I want to wait until I won't have the interruptions.

I don't give up easily! My N810 is usable as-is but I really want to do this so, sooner or later, I shall prevail!

chiaowl

Indeed, with that attitude, YOU SHALL!

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
yes you shall prevail, what is good about it is that you can actually start again from step 1 i was bothered first when i started but carefully followed the instructions and now the joy of unlimited space for programs did it trice though.
i would say reformat your card reboot and start over choosing pbeasy.

T3 - IT 810
Confidence is hard to gain easy to loose impossible to regain, Pee

Last edited by Un27Pee; 2009-06-11 at 17:42.

The Following User Says Thank You to Un27Pee For This Useful Post:
Well, I've formatted using my PC a couple more times, but the partitioning using pbeasy didn't "take". However, it finally let me format via file manager (yay!)...but then I kept getting error messages that the internal memory card is corrupt, asking if I wanted it to repair - when I said yes, it came back with the response that it was unable to repair it, I should format again...

Anyway, a half-dozen formats later, I'm still getting a message, when I select my internal memory card in file manager, that it is unformatted or corrupted...and the last 2 times I reboot, an error message comes right up telling me the same thing.

So, I'm beginning to think that's why Mr. Penguinbait's excellent program isn't working, and I may have to contact Nokia about this.

Any feedback from anyone? Is my thinking probably correct? I've had the device for just over 3 months so it's still within the year warranty period - this is my 2nd one, they had to replace the first one when it simply stopped booting up at all, the 2nd day I had it.

Anyway, would appreciate any confirmation that I'm correct in my assumption, or other ideas if you have any .

chiaowl

Tags
bootmenu, bootmenu-installer, install-tools, mgmt-tools