Active Topics

I have to admit that after following the Pandora mess, I have little faith in "bunch of enthusiasts building an N800 replacement".

But looking inside the SmartQ5, I notice that it is very roomy inside, while still being smaller and lighter than an N800.

I am sure that the company that made it could create a system in a similar case, with an OMAP3 (or other Cortex-A8 based Soc, such as i.MX51, S5PC), 256MB of RAM, 2 SD slots, a larger battery, a d-pad, etc. And I believe they could have it ready in 2009.

The real question is how to make them "see the light", and actually do this.

Here's a 60 sec solution to speeding up your n810;

Settings->Control Panel->Memory->Virtual Tab->"Enable Virtual Memory": 128MB

I've seen huge, HUGE, speed increases in every application.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ioioio For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by ioioio View Post
Here's a 60 sec solution to speeding up your n810;

Settings->Control Panel->Memory->Virtual Tab->"Enable Virtual Memory": 128MB

I've seen huge, HUGE, speed increases in every application.
In fact some of them even start working

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Well, I say that if someone does decide to build an open internet tablet (which I personally think is a smashing idea, since a little extra competition would actually help and improve the MID market, and increase sales of other MIDS, not harm it, or reduce sales, thus allowing for greater market penetration, which any OEM will see as a plus) they need to also build some accessories to allow for the wearable pc concepts we've talked about before. I'd love to have the ability to watch videos or use my device without needing to have it right in front of me.

IBM's wearable PC design was good, but so was a few other ideas I saw. I covered all those in an article I did a little while back that talked about how all this technology already exists. We just need people willing to take that step forward.

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
Since the processor in the N810 and N800 are the same and the new operating system was able change the clock speed from 330 to 400. Wouldn't it be possible to change it again by "cooking" to increase it again to say 433? 450?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by dbec10 View Post
Since the processor in the N810 and N800 are the same and the new operating system was able change the clock speed from 330 to 400. Wouldn't it be possible to change it again by "cooking" to increase it again to say 433? 450?
"Cooking" may be a good word choice. Please see a post by Igor in the "Overclocking N800?" thread.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
Go for it.

Tim
I am broke and lack the required skills so it won't be me but, like qole said, these diy hardware hackers out there might take a jab at it.

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
besides I haven't been able to find a video or blog on a dissected n810 to even know what the insides look like and its parts I mean, can't it even get a memory upgrade with soldering and all?

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by FRZ View Post
besides I haven't been able to find a video or blog on a dissected n810 to even know what the insides look like and its parts I mean, can't it even get a memory upgrade with soldering and all?
ThoughtFix dismantled an N800 a while back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3BorZkQ2Vo

Tim

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by FRZ View Post
besides I haven't been able to find a video or blog on a dissected n810 to even know what the insides look like and its parts...
For a start, you could go to the FCC page for the N810 and follow the "Internal Photos" link.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:

Tags
faster, n810, processor