Active Topics

Poll: Will you buy the Nokia N900?
Poll Options
Will you buy the Nokia N900?

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
danramos - I believe we do

christexaport - as much as I'd like to have the latest greatest, (1) I have a family (2 kids) so I have a limited budget and (2) I don't need to pay extra $$ for features I don't want or need.

1) I would like to be able to upgrade to faster web service in the next couple years 4g/LTE as it becomes available, cheap cellphone = cheap upgrade.
2) There are many situations where I don't want/need a smartphone with all my data on it, where I can potentially lose/break it, again, cheap cellphone wins.
3) There are times where having 2 devices / 2 batteries is desirable (long airplane trip).

Additionally, I suspect battery life will be worse than current tablets due the extra juice needed for telephony features. I'd rather have longer battery life and more flexibility with 2 devices than a single device.

Looking at the poll, if you count the last 3 options as provisional "no's", "maybe not's", or "only if's" it is currently 33 will buys and 33 maybe not's.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
I will laugh if Nokia launches this thing without any discount codes. I wish them the best of luck moving forward without their core community.
Why does this community act as if Nokia is moving along without you? From an outside perspective, I see Nokia keeping a lid on things playing the media/PR game, and on September 2-3, maemo.org will be under the spotlight, and the maemo convention will be alot bigger than ever before.

The Following User Says Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
If there is going to be a mature version of Skype with video then I am buying two N900's.

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by Paxicide View Post
If there is going to be a mature version of Skype with video then I am buying two N900's.
Skye with video would get me to buy one.

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
Well nothing works on at&t well around DFW, but you should really give TMO a shot.
Actually I have had outstanding service with AT&T in DFW and elsewhere on every phone I've used (all Nokias)...so...

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
Why does this community act as if Nokia is moving along without you? From an outside perspective, I see Nokia keeping a lid on things playing the media/PR game, and on September 2-3, maemo.org will be under the spotlight, and the maemo convention will be alot bigger than ever before.
What use is any of this if a large portion of the core drivers of the community cannot afford to buy devices?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
What use is any of this if a large portion of the core drivers of the community cannot afford to buy devices?
That's a better question than I think many realize, especially for the US.

Wage deflation combined with severe cost of living increases over the past two years is killing the average American. It's tough now to pay for core necessities (and I don't include cell phones in that list) much less toys.

My current salary is now $20,000 less per year than I made last year. If my situation is in any way indicative of the general trend, then product retail costs must come down for this market to be viable. Not all of us are in the iStrata.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Perhaps the people that can afford it and do buy it will become the new "core drivers" of the community??

Just because the current "core drivers" can't afford one doesn't mean the community will flounder and become useless! Certainly other people will pick up the slack. Particularly as we get the new influx of people everyone keeps talking about. *edit* Isn't that what open source is about? Others picking up where someone else left off?*

Or is it because some of the "core drivers" feel Nokia owes them for all the work they have previously put in? I always see "community supported" thrown around. I assumed that support was given freely, not in return for some expected payment?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
It's hard to stay motivated to develop for a piece of hardware you don't have in your hands. It's also FAR more difficult to debug... so.. yeah... it would be a problem.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:

Tags
interest, n900, poll