Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
only for the gallery, not the whole device, as Nokia TV out devices always have.
So you cant use the accelerometer based games on the big screen?

In my nokia n95-8gb i can play n-gage games. The only problem is that the resolution sucks on the big tv.... but with the n900's resolutions the games are going to be a lot better. And the av connector is not included in the box.

For me there is no comparison of both tools.
They are fine both and they both answer to different people.
If Nokia think that they will put in trouble Apple by getting market share with N900 they are wrong.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
@allnameswereout,
"Easily solved with jailbreak. Will Maemo 5 have equivelant of push notifications?"

IMO, Push Notifications are a bandaid for lacking multitasking. With a gig or RAM, who needs it?

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
You mean via bluetooth? OBEX is not supported. But bluetooth sharing of photos and contacts - Bluetooth Photo Share is free - is out there. I'm not a fan of bluetooth transfers though due to the lack of speed.

May be you dont like bluetooth. But it has been very well used in the developing countries to send pictures and ringtones from one phone to another. So i would consider it very useful.

Yes, since day one. Lock in to where you're at in under 5 seconds too.

I am sorry i am not talking about google maps. I am talking about an inbuilt maps application which doesnt need to download data and will work without the cell connection. I understand that tom tom released an app recently. But the advantage with ovi is that you can still browse the maps for free and only routing is paid.

Useless? That's a bit much. I mean, I use them. All of the above have "push notifications" (ok, I do NOT buy into this feature being called push notifications personally) but I wouldn't say useless since I've used them in said manner.

Push notifications work for those applications like skype too? I mean how can someone call you on gtalk or skype without your application being open? On my friend's iphone i have to physically open the application and leave it open for me to be visible as online on another computer and the moment i open another application it shows me as logged out.... so how do i call a logged out person?

Right. But as I was stating, if were to buy the N900 off-contract (is that the right term?) I couldn't take it to AT&T or Verizon... or just about anybody else but T-Mobile.

And that, is quite a limiting feature. Whereas you can jailbreak the iPhone - for instance - and use it on T-Mobile (voice, not sure about data) or other GSM providers.

My whole point is about the 3G data. Even the n900 has quadband edge and so it is similar to the iphone 3G in that respect.

I cannot make any changes to my first post because it already exceeded the maximum characters.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@allnameswereout,
"Easily solved with jailbreak. Will Maemo 5 have equivelant of push notifications?"

IMO, Push Notifications are a bandaid for lacking multitasking. With a gig or RAM, who needs it?
The advantage of push notification is that it's cpu, bandwidth and battery efficient.

Actually the iPhone scheduler is capable of running (multiple) applications in the background (multitasking), The reason they introduced Push Notifications is due to the decrease in battery life of the phone when multiple applications are running.

Applications running in the background prevent the phone from going to sleep/run in the lowest power state.

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Southampton, UK
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Wasn't GPS added in 3G? And isn't this "Maps App" actually opening Google Maps? Whereas OVI Maps will probably have offline DB like on the S60 devices.
Indeed, GPS was added with the 3G. Before that there was a map application which used the cell towers for position which worked better than many other implementations and yes I imagine OVI maps will have an offline cache meaning you can do route planning and such without being connected to a network.

How can you do a comparison without mentioning the app store?? it's probably the main reason people are on that platform.

Ur comparison is biased imo.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sevla For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
The advantage of push notification is that it's cpu, bandwidth and battery efficient.
I've never heard anyone use push notification as a positive feature. I highly doubt you gain any significant battery life through push notification.

The Following User Says Thank You to sevla For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sevla View Post
I've never heard anyone use push notification as a positive feature. I highly doubt you gain any significant battery life through push notification.
Agree. The app store is a big factor. I also hope developers will start developing for meamo considering it is a linux variant and most of it is open source. It will take time though.

Tags
comparison, iphone, look! a, n00 idiot, n900, n900 v. iphone war