Active Topics

Notices

Sorry, I have no gaming suggestions for you, but I'll answer the thread title anyway.

Telnet is alive and kicking in my house; I use it everyday.

I wrap non-interactive telnet inside Python and Objective C to control my Denon 4306 A/V receiver from my n8x0's, my iPod touch, and my Mac and Linux desktops. The Denon is very trusting, but because I like my speakers, when my son gets older I might have to lock it down with a tightly coupled OpenWRT solution.

I dig that bottom-row keyboard and number pad setup. I'm gonna steal that one day.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by bluesubaru View Post
I'll bet there are very few people on here who know what a BBS is.
The people I feel sorry for are the influential people who RAN BBSes and then became nobodies when everyone went to the Internet. From pillars of the community to complete unknowns...

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
You can steal it here:
Xkbd Keyboards

I wrap non-interactive telnet inside Python and Objective C to control my Denon 4306 A/V receiver from my n8x0's, my iPod touch, and my Mac and Linux desktops. The Denon is very trusting, but because I like my speakers, when my son gets older I might have to lock it down with a tightly coupled OpenWRT solution.
That was like reading Sputnik to me. So thank you for not making me feel so old anymore!

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Posts: 304 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ São Paulo, SP, Brasil
I log in Trade Wars servers from time to time to kill the saudosism... I wish there was a modern game that could effectively take its place.

I think SDF (freeshell.org) accepts telnet access, but I always use ssh when available, and not just because of the encryption. There should be an easy way to set ssh for non-encrypted operation!...

I'm 29 y.o., and I've spent most of them in front of a console, thankfuly! I can't say I'm old school, but I admire it much.

The Following User Says Thank You to nwerneck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
I was thinking about Trade Wars but you need a script to effectively play that game, correct?

I don't think there's any tablet software that can handle Telnet scripts that I'm aware of though.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 641 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Switzerland
ssh only here, even for managing routers/switches on a private VLAN.

The only occasion I use telnet is to check that a port is open on a host or to get the ID string/banner from an ssh server (i.e. telnet host 22).

and since we are speaking about age: 29 and way too much time in front of text-only consoles (now I wonder if there's some way to connect to a serial console with a N800 (or N900 for that matter))

The Following User Says Thank You to lorelei For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Italy
20 something here (near 30s now)... and I am not using telnet since looooong time. What is more, the last time I connected to a local BBS I was using a sharp Zaurus 5800 (the non linux version - the oldest model) and a VT100 connection... Nice recollections...!

Now, like Lorelei, I only use it to check if the port is open on a host...

Cheers...

Toutes les informations utiles (pages encore en anglais) : Présentez-vous à la communauté , L'essentiel pour bien commencer, Débuter sur Maemo 4 (N800 - N810), Le Wiki sur Maemo 5 (N900), La FAQ, Le sous-forum dédié aux communautés

En cas de souci, n'hésitez pas à me poser vos questions!

----------------

Benvenuto! Se hai bisogno di aiuto, sono a disposizione.
Ecco dove iniziare (in inglese):

Presentazioni dei nuovi iscritti,Primi passi per nuovi iscritti, Wiki per chi inizia con Maemo 4 (N800 - N810), Wiki per chi inizia con Maemo 5 (N900), FAQ, Subforum della Comunità

In caso di dubbi o domande non esitare: contattami!

The Following User Says Thank You to Matyas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 114 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Somewhere, most of the time.
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
What is so good that you're logging in daily?
Just use to using command line, I use mutt for email and vi for editing documents, scripts, files etc.... It just works bettter for me.

I can open a xterm to get to my work from home and then go to any switch, router, server etc.. on the companies network.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I do. Often. Very often, in fact. I use it as a tool, though, not so much for terminal sessions. If you want to test a mail server (telnet hostname 25) or test a web server (telnet hostname 80) and so on, you need telnet. Whenever I put on my network engineer hat, telnet is a great friend right alongside ping, traceroute and other very basic protocol tools.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
The people I feel sorry for are the influential people who RAN BBSes and then became nobodies when everyone went to the Internet. From pillars of the community to complete unknowns...
HEYYyyyyy! I ran a BBS for nine years. I loved it, and it led me to eventually look into the Internet once I discovered it back in the old pre-Web days with Gophers and archie and veronica searches and so on. No regrets here!