Active Topics

Poll: Will you buy the Nokia N900?
Poll Options
Will you buy the Nokia N900?

To GeneralAntilles:
I like the "fairly" word, it seems for me yes but.......
I do think that this zoom method is not usable.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@GA: Ok, I hope so. I thought that was what Nokia aimed for, looking at the videos (especially the one with Jussi with the Disco Dust blog). But from that demo video, it didn't work too well (he double tapped the side bar, but the browser zoomed in to the title).

Like I said, I didn't say I'm not buying this, just waiting for more reviews or hands on time to learn more about it.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by amirtycoon View Post
I think u don't understand why we say high tag price!!!!!!
i buy NOKIA N82 for 550usd and now worth nothing without support ...
so why i should waste my money on NOKIA when they have fool policy to support costumers.

we wait and see the review and some software update then we decide
You should vote with your wallet.

What you describe is part of Nokia culture: release a lot of devices but don't support them long. This trend is slowly withering away though.

A Nokia N82 isn't worth nothing. Heck, it has a great camera on-board for sure, unmatched by hardly any other Nokia phone (I think none?). It is almost 2 years old though. In general, you can expect about 2 years of support for a mobile phone.

The problem is that, with S60, Nokia devices often received no new features anymore except bugfixes and reliability fixes. That is because adding new features means a lot of software testing en QA, while traditionally Nokia released tons of new phones by the dozens. The effort required costs them a lot of time and money, while it gives no direct profit, undermining the sale of new phones which have software improvements. There are also many software improvements which rely on better/different hardware only found in newer phones.

IMO Nokia's behaviour has improved lately (according to my experience with Nokia E71), and in the future given the openness of Symbian OS this problem is easier to tackle for Nokia.

With Maemo, they allow the community to fork and maintain alternative firmware/OS which you can see happening for Nokia 770 and Nokia N8x0. You don't see that happening on S60, nor on iPhone/iPod touch. There are countless of improvements to Maemo which were due to community work.

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ León, Spain
Already ordered! (reserved at least in Nokia Spain Shop!)

I'll buy after I get my second update promised for the n8x0. Ha ha ha.

Seriously, I got the n800 when there was a special offer for 190$. Got probably the last new e61 available in stores here for almost nothing and a free bluetooth headset (they probably imagined nobody wants that brick near their head).

My e71 was the only device I payed the full price of early adoption. I don't think I'll do it again - I'll never trust problems to be fixed in future firmware updates - that might never come. With the e71 I got lucky they patched the camera a bit so it became decent, everything else works but I don't expect to see new features comming to it. If Nokia starts making more maemo devices the level of support will decrease. It's easy to fix problems when you deal with one device...
If this is only the first in a row you'll probably start to see the same level of support that Symbian devices enjoy.

To end a boring post - I'll buy when and/or if:
- software problems noted are fixed
- usb host mode works
- a hack is made for easy TAB and | keys - for crying out loud it's linux

If the wi-fi supports packet injection and the gsm radio is a bit hackable then maybe I won't wait so much for the price to come down

Last edited by icebox; 2009-09-03 at 18:24.

The Following User Says Thank You to icebox For This Useful Post:
I'm not concerned of shortage of units at this point (like iPhones), so I'll just wait til they're clearly available from a known reliable (online) shop to pick one up.

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Amsterdam
I am a buyer but does nobody worry about battery life, can that be a decision maker?

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by keesj View Post
I am a buyer but does nobody worry about battery life, can that be a decision maker?
I am pretty sure the battery life is going to be abysmal. But i plan to carry an extra battery and an external battery charger. The battery is not very thick. How about a key chain battery holder.... looks like a good idea!

Originally Posted by keesj View Post
Depends on how often you spend your time away from a power source I guess. Work and Home shouldn't be a problem. If you drive, then you can get car power adapters too.

And.. there'll be aftermarket batteries that boost the capacity. Not to mention you can just bring extra batteries for backup.

It's still a problem, yes, but not without a host of crutches to select from.

Yep, going to purchase a N900, but I'll probably wait till the price comes down a bit.

Tags
interest, n900, poll