Poll: What do you think about n900 price
Poll Options
What do you think about n900 price

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by umberto_soprano View Post
Unfortunatly we (Europeans) have seen it from many companies, the 1:1 conversion when on the market €1 = $1.4

But from Nokia, as an European company, I would expect a more fair quotation toward their, let's say, EU compatriots
Sure, that's why they sold the tablets at $399 in the usa and 399€ over here

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by luca View Post
Sure, that's why they sold the tablets at $399 in the usa and 399€ over here
Unfortunately Nokia isn't the only one. Sony Playstation 3, now 300$ in US, 300€ (430$) in Europe. Chepest Macbook Pro, 1200$ in US, 1150€ (1648$) in Europe. Nokia E71, 309$ in US, 369 € (592$) in Europe. (Nokia online shop though, which is really expensive compared to another shops)

The 1 US$ = 1 € is much closer to reality than the actual conversion rate but still when prices are announced in euros someone goes and converts it with the real currency rate and the whole blogosphere goes haywire.

The Following User Says Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
I'll save up BUT...

If my carrier will offer it for under 450eur I'll get it subsidised else I'll buy it direct.

My initial plan was it should be atleast 100eur subsidised especially since I've been with the carrier for over 10 years(7 of those pre-pay). But they are selling the n97 for 450 while I payed 200eur for the n95 so I would really like to see it in a less than 400 eur range subsidised. If not I don't want to be locked in. Good thing I manage to save quite a bi tof money so will probably be able to get it.

The listed price on the Dutch Nokia site is EUR 599,-. This seems like a good price to me...

http://shop.nokia.nl/nokia-nl/produc...900-in-de-shop

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
In Czech we don't have Euros..but its supposed to cost 16 000 CZK incl. TAX...so, that would be... about $880...from the US point of view it's high... but from my point of view, since i live in Czech... the price is ok, becuase every new high-end Nokia phone that came out always had this price in the beginning... for me its cheaper then it would be for you Americans if you went and bought it here...

EUR 599 would be more or less the same: $854.

I think in the US around $600 would be a fair price because the average hourly salary in the US is about $18.65 and in The Netherlands it is about EUR 18.44 an hour (but we probably pay more income tax). Don't know about other european countries though...

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by Espoo888 View Post
The N900 is cheaper than an iPhone - I think that an unlocked 16GB 3GS is around $799.

The N900 is better than an iPhone - screen res., camera sensor, camera optics, video recording, video playback format support, memory, storage, browser, flash, file management system (it has one!), multi-tasking, etc.

So it should be fairly competitive. By that I mean there are plenty of people out there with enough money to buy an iPhone who will at least consider this. In the US the media bias and operator tie-ins will work against Nokia but in the rest of the world the N900 will sell with multiple operators (subsidised and unsubsidised) in each major country so that they will have a wider distribution base which should help to counter-balance the US situation. Of course, I am sure that T-Mobile will shift a few units but Europe / Mid East / India and China will really dig this device.
See this quote from a PCmag article

"The N900 looks promising; unfortunately, Nokia is selling it at a fatal price of $649. That's the price of three iPhone 3GSes, plus tax. If T-Mobile picks it up, they might subsidize it, but even a $250 subsidy brings it down to $400 - more in netbook range than in smartphone range."

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2352501,00.asp

How in the world they allow such people to write reviews. The american media is seriously blinded by the iphone!!

Just saw a video review of the n900
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHa3AoNdglY

Severely disappointed. Device looks very thick compared to n810, the screen is smaller, the keyboard is way smaller, it's going to be absolute hell typing anything on that keyboard. Very disappointed in Nokia.

The Following User Says Thank You to ioioio For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
@ bousch

Yeah, here some interesting links from (Gathering of) Tweakers.

GoT: Nokia N900 RX-51 Smartphone Internet tablet
GoT: Nokia N900 Levertijden en Abonnementen topic
T.net Pricewatch Nokia N900 zwart

The 2nd and 3rd link have no additional information as of now.

Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
[...] Nokia is selling it at a fatal price of $649. That's the price of three iPhone 3GSes, plus tax. [...]
ZUM KOTZEN!!!

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Originally Posted by ioioio View Post
Just saw a video review of the n900
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHa3AoNdglY

Severely disappointed. Device looks very thick compared to n810, the screen is smaller, the keyboard is way smaller, it's going to be absolute hell typing anything on that keyboard. Very disappointed in Nokia.
you see..and with me its the complete opposite...

Tags
n900