Notices

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
I am not a big fan of MicroB and Fennec is still too slow on my N810. Thus I experiment very much with Midori and other Webkit browsers. But I am a Mozilla fan and I liked the demos of the N900 browser. It looks very slick and beautiful.
Is it, at least theoretically, possible to port this browser to other devices like N770/800/810?
This would be great. It seems like an eternity to me that I heard that Nokia and Mozilla announced to bring MicroB on a Mozilla 3 code base. One year ago, at OSiM World in Berlin, developers of both companies told me that this would happen soon. Quim Gil was one of them.

A better MicroB seemed very near but it was never implemented. Now everyone seems to just change to N900 and they leave me standing with MicroB, based on an early Mozilla 2 version from 2007.

Last edited by mgoebel; 2009-09-05 at 23:50.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by mgoebel View Post
I am not a big fan of MicroB and Fennec is still too slow on my N810. Thus I experiment very much with Midori and other Webkit browsers. But I am a Mozilla fan and I liked the demos of the N900 browser. It looks very slick and beautiful.
Is it, at least theoretically, possible to port this browser to other devices like N770/800/810?
This would be great. It seems like an eternity to me that I heard that Nokia and Mozilla announced to bring MicroB on a Mozilla 3 code base. One year ago, at OSiM World in Berlin, developers of both companies told me that this would happen soon. Quim Gil was one of them.

A better MicroB seemed very near but it was never implemented. Now everyone seems to just change to N900 and they leave me standing with MicroB, based on an early Mozilla 2 version from 2007.
Microb in OS2008 is an early alpha of Firefox 3, not Firefox 2. The browser in the N900 is still Microb, just with an updated code base and improvements. If the source is released, sure... someone could try to port it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post: