Poll: Will you buy the Nokia N900?
Poll Options
Will you buy the Nokia N900?

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by remister View Post
So after I change the data service...I will be able to use my G1 right?
I could be wrong, don't hold me to this, I didn't ask that specific question....but my impression was that the 3G on the G1 will not work after the change. But I haven't confirmed this. You could call 611 and ask. Might get lucky and talk to someone familiar with the situtation that can give a definite answer.

Of course, everything except 3G will still work as before on the G1 - Edge, GPRS voice, etc. And maybe I'm wrong about the 3G...

The Following User Says Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
You implied that with the iPhone you had to pinch to zoom, and I believed you. The correction, that you can double-tap to zoom, was important to keep me from being mislead.
Nah, you misinterpreted what I wrote and drew your own conclusions based on that.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by slha89 View Post
If I can't get N900 cheaper than 699,-, I'll wait for "N910" to have SDXC card support and Maemo 6.
It's like buying now a notebook without Express Card to upgrade to USB 3.0. I can't replace every year a phone and a notebook to sell it for half the price, because I need more space and/or faster ports.
With USB 3.0 und SDXC at the door, it's imho a bad time to buy something without this items. Look back SD -> SDHC and USB 1.1 -> 2.0
Congratulations! You've been duped by the flash card industry into believing SDXC is a compatibility-breaking release requiring additional hardware support.

The truth is, every Linux device that currently supports SDHC also support SDXC without issue. That is, of course, assuming you're using a reasonable filesystem like ext3 (as opposed to exFAT). The SDHC spec was artificially limited to 32GB by restricting the address space to only 16 of the 22 bits available.*

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
For the new SDHC high capacity card (2.0) implementation, 22 bits of the identification string are used to indicate the memory size in increments of 512 KBytes. Currently 16 of the 22 bits are allowed to be used, giving a maximum size of 32 GB. All SDHC 4-GB and larger cards must be 2.0 implementations. Two bits that were previously reserved and fixed at 0 are now used for identifying the type of card, 0=standard, 1=HC, 2=reserved, 3=reserved. Non-HC devices are not programmed to read this code and therefore cannot correctly read the identification of the card.
Thankfully, Linux ignores this artificial limit and has long been capable of addressing all 22 bits. What this means, is that the only encumbrance to using proper SDXC cards in current and future tablet devices (or, in fact, any current Linux device with SDHC support) is support for exFAT read/write. Which is on its way and only a software install away once provided.

So, no, there are no issues whatsoever with buying an SDHC-supporting Linux device now and using SDXC later. No more FUD, please.

*Which, of course, is because FAT becomes cumbersome past 32GB. Hopefully we can be rid of that blight upon the technology industry at some point.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2009-09-14 at 05:45. Reason: As I often seem to, forgot the asterisk on the footnote

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
So, no, there are no issues whatsoever with buying an SDHC-supporting Linux device now and using SDXC later. No more FUD, please.
Uhm, thanks for this information, 2080 GB N900, here we come!

Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
I could be wrong, don't hold me to this, I didn't ask that specific question....but my impression was that the 3G on the G1 will not work after the change. But I haven't confirmed this. You could call 611 and ask. Might get lucky and talk to someone familiar with the situtation that can give a definite answer.

Of course, everything except 3G will still work as before on the G1 - Edge, GPRS voice, etc. And maybe I'm wrong about the 3G...
I'm thinking about buying a G1 for my next smart phone. The N900 doesn't impress me much. The G1 will have 3G or 4G but I want a jail break. I will go with a sim from a go phone, if possible. No more contracts for me. AT&T is not good to their customers.

Originally Posted by danahyatt View Post
I'm thinking about buying a G1 for my next smart phone. The N900 doesn't impress me much. The G1 will have 3G or 4G but I want a jail break. I will go with a sim from a go phone, if possible. No more contracts for me. AT&T is not good to their customers.
I might sell my G1 if I get the N900, so if you want mines we can make a deal or something.

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Markina-Xemein, Bizkaia, Spain
I've got mi own n900 reserved. Just waiting for october
By the way, nokia sapin says "first week of october" and i readed somewhere this forums middle of october Is that poassible??

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ León, Spain
Originally Posted by kkhitzat View Post
I've got mi own n900 reserved. Just waiting for october
By the way, nokia sapin says "first week of october" and i readed somewhere this forums middle of october Is that poassible??
First week plus 5 - 10 days of shipping = middle of october

The Following User Says Thank You to dieg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by remister View Post
I might sell my G1 if I get the N900, so if you want mines we can make a deal or something.
My G1 will probably also be up for sale when I get my N900.

Crashdamage, I thought I knew you from somewhere! Your from the Android community. Well anyways, I know maemo is a really good OS by the looks of it, but does anyone know if we could, per se put an Android OS on there, since they both based on Linux?

Tags
interest, n900, poll