Active Topics

Well thats disappointing - but hardly nokias fault. Sounds like the issue is with the USB standards. People want to be able to charge with USB, so they have to take the tradeoff.

Have to admit I wish this wasnt the case.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
My endless optimism is endlessly punished by Nokia.
Your optimism has gotten others hopes up only to now be dashed it would seem. Your strong presence and seeming depth of knowledge carry more weight than you think.......

Epi

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
GeneralAntilles and many others do their best to satisfy your thirst of news days, weeks and months before any official source does. It's a risky and exciting game. If you don't like it you can ignore it but please don't blame those making pronostics, most of the times based on technical accuracy.

The Maemo team also wanted this feature but for the reasons explained by Igor it was not possible. I don't think that yourselves in the same position would have made a different choice. "I want both" is a nice emotive sentence but not a realistic option we had in the time of making decisions.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by epilido View Post
Your optimism has gotten others hopes up only to now be dashed it would seem. Your strong presence and seeming depth of knowledge carry more weight than you think.......
I'm as fallible as any other human. Speculation is always that and should be taken as such.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
The N900 doesn't support USB host mode and the limitation comes at hardware level.
And the shared punchline to two simultaneous, seemingly independent jokes slams home:
  1. Maemo community (for past six months): With USB charging and only one port, how will we power our N900s while they're connected to all our USB gadgets?
    Nokia: No worries! We're way ahead of you.
  2. Maemo community (for years): With USB keyboards and mice at home and work, my Internet Tablet is one external display shy of the portable workstation of my dreams!
    Nokia: Hey, we've added that video out you've been wanting...

Ah, well. It just means more creative solutions need be sought.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2009-09-21 at 03:59.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Sounds like the issue is with the USB standards. People want to be able to charge with USB, so they have to take the tradeoff.
I didn't mean to imply that USB standards compliance and USB charging are necessarily incompatible. As Nokia stated, they weren't able to solve the problem in the time they had.

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Well, I don't think people ever wanted "charging over USB" functionality at the expense of OTG though.

You could have kept the small charging connector and left the usb i/f (A type?) as like on the N810. Lacking a OTG is a big big let down IMHO. I know even noobs (like me) like this feature a lot and use it more often than we think. I am not sure, if it is justifiable to say that N900 is aimed at Tech Enthusiasts anymore. I care less about anything software-wise missing because if that is that important, some app would be later available for that. But anything missing on a hardware front IS a big disappointment.

First the Digital Compass and now this. By adding few advanced features, we are also missing some basic and well useful things.

Justification for not including MMS was that not many people use it or need it sorts of. But why this. We all knew that many people have been using this and will be using it, right?

So, is there no other way to achieve this even at the expense of adding a small connector or something?

Last edited by vkv.raju; 2009-09-21 at 04:30.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
As Nokia stated, they weren't able to solve the problem in the time they had.
They must be kidding!

Looks like, Nokia didn't want to make the perfect device. They knowingly left an upgrade path?? Taking wrong cues from the fruit seller??

Common Nokia, Keyboards and Mice will probably work with bluetooth, but how will my USB drives/HDDs work now

The Following User Says Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Today is a SAD SAD SAD day...

There is absolutely no way, like absolutely no way that Host mode can be enabled? I mean, the 770, N800, and N810 had some form of host mode. Its super awesome.

I guess this kills Quake 3 on the TV (without bluetooth), using it with Cannon cameras and s10sh, USB quick transfers to thumb drives... wow...

It also kills the possibility of add on hardware, as some people were thinking about a USB compass and other stuff.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Originally Posted by vkv.raju View Post
They must be kidding!

Looks like, Nokia didn't want to make the perfect device. They knowingly left an upgrade path?? Taking wrong cues from the fruit seller??

Common Nokia, Keyboards and Mice will probably work with bluetooth, but how will my USB drives/HDDs work now
Network attached/shared?