Closed Thread
Posts: 41 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto
I wonder how bluetooth keyboards perform with the n900? On my n810, I'm back to using a USB keyboard, because the BT keyboard was so slow.

I'm a moderately fast typist (80wpm), and with my BT keyboard I would literally type a line of text in vim and then wait for the characters to appear on the screen. My USB keyboard is a bit laggy, but much better.

BT keyboards are obviously more convenient than USB because they're smaller and they don't have the huge cumbersome cable. If they were as fast as USB keyboards, I'd probably use them.

Except, of course, that you're not supposed to use BT keyboards on airplanes, and that sucks.

The Following User Says Thank You to magog For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by UCOMM View Post
don't even think for a moment that maemo will just stop at step 5

there will be something better than step 5, the ultimate phone

i'd suggest waiting for that
haha, i know...

i wasn't thinking that "step 5" is the last one, but this process gives me a bit the idea of (software example): Alpha (N770 - step 1), Beta1 (step 2), Beta2 (step 3), Beta3 (N900 - step 4), RTM version 1 (step 5), version 2 (Maemo 7?), version 3 (Maemo 8?)...
of course it's all my immagination and I wouldn't care of this, as long as the N900 does all I search for and a decent features&desire/cost relation...
it just missed one feature...
nice irony

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Oh, and what's this? A bluetooth USB hub?
http://www.inspector-gadget.co.uk/blog_134.shtml

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to joppu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joppu View Post
Oh, and what's this? A bluetooth USB hub?
http://www.inspector-gadget.co.uk/blog_134.shtml
BUT I CAN'T USE IT ON A PLANE!!!

j/k, thx a lot for finding this one...

now, what's the transfer speed of data someone may expect from an external 7200 rpm HD to N900 with this bluetooth USB hub? any additional slowness issues using this system due to the use of bluetooth? (thinking about a USB keyboard connected this way for example, something that needs a quick response)
thx in advance!

ps. couldn't something similar exist using WiFi ? isn't wifi "better" than bluetooth?

Last edited by thecursedfly; 2009-09-21 at 14:56.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Even with full USB OTG support a separate adapter would be required to connect USB devices with standard-A type plugs. This makes USB OTG largely useless for use cases like quickly needing to copy a file from a friend's hard drive or USB stick, unless you're always willing to carry an adapter with you. And I don't like the idea of having a highly-integrated pocket-sized mobile device and then having to carry a bag of accessories with you. The moment you can't fit all the stuff in your pocket you're better off with a larger device anyway

I agree that there are some valid use cases for host mode and it surely would be nice to have for hacking, but I don't see the lack of it as a deal-breaker in this type of device.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hqh For This Useful Post:
Question: So I guess USB2SERIAL for managing Cisco devices is out?

My main use of OTG was flash drives. Even 32 Gb fills up quick if you had music, movies, and other documents on it (like my n800 does).

Though the n900 has a good camera I imagine I'll still take my Canon when I go places where I know I will be taking photos. But my Canon only supports up to 4 GB. So I would take my n800+camera+a big USB drive and use the n800 to move photos over on vacations.

Granted if it can be done via bluetooth then that's ok. The only other time I have used OTG USB is when my friend and I found a random USB drive on the ground and wanted to see if we could return it if there was a name on a file.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
This is not good news.. I was hoping to interface some microcontrollers to the N900 via a USB-to-Serial converter a very important thing for hobby electronics guys.. not to mention those expensive (65$) bluetooth-to-serial converters Nokia suggests on their hacker guide on the PUSH website, might as well hold off the pre-order and wait for the actual in-depth reviews...

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
If someone finds them actually offered for sale somewhere, and the pricing isn't outrageous, the EDSLAB WiDRIVE battery-powered, WiFi hard drive enclosures might be useful to someone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hqh View Post
Even with full USB OTG support a separate adapter would be required to connect USB devices with standard-A type plugs. This makes USB OTG largely useless for use cases like quickly needing to copy a file from a friend's hard drive or USB stick, unless you're always willing to carry an adapter with you. And I don't like the idea of having a highly-integrated pocket-sized mobile device and then having to carry a bag of accessories with you. The moment you can't fit all the stuff in your pocket you're better off with a larger device anyway
i go nearly always around like this anyway (on my back/under my arm): http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/7559/dscn2015r.jpg
with money, phone, digital camera, headphones, anything else...
so, an adapter wouldn't be a problem at all for me..

The Following User Says Thank You to thecursedfly For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
awesomeness in the works, boulevard of broken deals, host, i am the dealbreaker, inspector gadget lies, mobidapter is a scam, nokia fanbois, otg, over 9000, usb, usbcontrol