Active Topics

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
It is confirmed that there will be 3 professional cameras operated by someone recording all the sessions in the 3 main rooms: N900, N810 and N800. Good!

But there are still many thing that are unclear or missing. Feedback and help is appreciated.

- What format to record? The main goal is to have the videos uploaded to Vimeo in HD.

- Post-production. We can upload the videos cut just as they come, but it would be much nicer if each video would have some common beginning/end e.g. showing the Maemo Summit branding, name of the speaker, session, date. No processing or cuts of the content itself is needed as w just want to show what was said in a session. How to do this in a fast & light way, in the Summit itself?

- When to upload the stuff? There are a lot of sessions and of course ideally all of them should we live asap. But this is complicated and brings extra work to certain people. Perhaps the same people recording can do it, we need to ask. One option is to select the sessions that would go out with an URGENT stamp and process the rest during the following week.

- Nothing in the 4th little room (770), but that is probably ok?

- Also nothing planned in the Expo, Party, breaks, stories... Anybody willing to go ahead and volunteer with some footage and video coverage? Should we organize this somehow e.g. offering common graphics for those videos as well and a place to list them all, or should be let things just happen and deal with tags alone?

Moderator | Posts: 199 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on May 2009 @ turku, finland
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Also nothing planned in the Expo, Party, breaks, stories... Anybody willing to go ahead and volunteer with some footage and video coverage? Should we organize this somehow e.g. offering common graphics for those videos as well and a place to list them all, or should be let things just happen and deal with tags alone?
i suggest offering the same common graphics as for the other video recordings already mentioned, and a possibility to add volunteer video footage to the same space where the 'professional' video will be announced.

There is any way to use my n810 camera in IM like skype or msn?

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
What format to record? The main goal is to have the videos uploaded to Vimeo in HD.
Depends on the camera. If it is digital only and in HD its usually recorded to AVCHD which will need to be transcoded to another format before any online sites will accept it. Could be a problem if you want the videos out fast.

- Post-production. We can upload the videos cut just as they come, but it would be much nicer if each video would have some common beginning/end e.g. showing the Maemo Summit branding, name of the speaker, session, date. No processing or cuts of the content itself is needed as w just want to show what was said in a session. How to do this in a fast & light way, in the Summit itself?
Before the event produce an intro and outro. This can then be added to the cut video at the summit then uploaded.

- When to upload the stuff? There are a lot of sessions and of course ideally all of them should we live asap. But this is complicated and brings extra work to certain people. Perhaps the same people recording can do it, we need to ask. One option is to select the sessions that would go out with an URGENT stamp and process the rest during the following week.
Good idea. Most of the first day will be URGENT and the keynotes. The rest can trickle though at a later date.

- Also nothing planned in the Expo, Party, breaks, stories... Anybody willing to go ahead and volunteer with some footage and video coverage? Should we organize this somehow e.g. offering common graphics for those videos as well and a place to list them all, or should be let things just happen and deal with tags alone?
I'll have my camera with me.

All official video's should be in one place but let others add online where they want. We can make a list of all videos and link to them from the wiki.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baloo For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 199 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on May 2009 @ turku, finland
Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
All official video's should be in one place but let others add online where they want. We can make a list of all videos and link to them from the wiki.
a link will be good enough. i see value in having one central place where all video content from the summit is available, either directly or through links.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
I requested sponsorship to the summit as a videographer as I felt last years summit had very bad coverage and was denied now I know why

As a professional shooter I can probably answer some of these questions.

- What format to record? The main goal is to have the videos uploaded to Vimeo in HD.

This is up to the camera that the videographer is using any HD footage can be processed in post production to a format that Vimeo can use. The most common high quality footage is captured by Panasonic HVX200 or Sony XDCAM Ex1. I shoot with an EX1.

The videographer should have some options for delivery, but some minimal post production in Final Cut Pro should be done at least in order to output a good format for Vimeo. Titling etc is easy and quick to do.

For best quality you should give the editors a few days to clean up the footage before posting it. Once again the videographers should have a way of delivering the content already worked out with you.

- Nothing in the 4th little room (770), but that is probably ok?

Get someone to set up a small consumer HD camcorder on a tripod pointed at the stage and a bunch of tapes and just push record and have someone switch tapes every hour. With all the geeks coming to the summit someone has an HV30. Capture, edit and upload.

Flip HD cameras are great little devices that are simple to operate and provide decent quality footage. For lower quality but still decent footage USE N900's !! and record video that can be uploaded to a common space with tags!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Code:
Intro:
Fade-in, Maemo Summit logo, cross-fade to title of session and participant(s) name(s).
Code:
Outro:
Cross-fade to maemo.org logo, fade-out.
All other questions have been answered.

Tim

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post: