Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by brendan View Post
I have to give BB that their intuitive means of organizing contacts, and allowing you to select the means of communication (BBM, call, PIN, MMS, SMS, etc) right from within the contacts app is a real convenience. *AHEM* protocol association *AHEM*
Well you'll love Nokia, then. You'll lose the PIN option, but gain SIP calling and IM in the contacts options. You can set defaults or choose at the time of the communication. If you aren't married to a BB server for business, the Nokia will be the over the top upgrade option. I don't see the appeal of BB, either outside of PUSH email, which Nokia Messaging provides, supporting 10 email accounts at once.

Originally Posted by McChicken View Post
I am an Nokia N95 user, ( so I am biased ) but I have NEVER seen the point of using a BB, I have ALWAYS got my IMAP emails in, ok most will say BB keyboard...but I honestly have not suffered W/O keyboard dont write novels on my pocket phone,
I'm a former N95 user and loyal Nseries flagship user for nearly 5 years now, having had 8 different devices in this time. I post all of my articles, reviews, and forum posts directly on my device, and I hate QWERTY, preferring T9 for better speed. I DO write "novels" on the device, having written this old review while walking my pit bull. (he's extremely strong, and probably walks me as much as I walk him, but typing on the N95 was no problem at all). Took about 25 minutes total, without a rough draft, spell check (as you can tell), or anything.

http://www.symbian-freak.com/news/00...ed_price_2.htm

The Nokia T9 implementation is underrated, but it smokes QWERTY on any device if you use it for a month or more straight.

i make no assertion of knowledge on the following:

my kid bro has an HTC WinMo phone and has been able to flash it with different ROMs, that can activate "different radios" as he put it. He currently has Sprint as his provider, but his "radio settings" are what Verizon considers optimal. He says that the signal and coverage are better with these settings.

Would such a feature be able to get me true 3G access, or would i be stuck with some half-assed access? besides i thought all the rest of the world was ahead of the states in the mobile market and 3G was everywhere else, and we were lagging behind. seems to me that the GSM access would be better in most other places, than in the states.
He's referring to the activation of the 800 or 850 MHz radio, which was deactivated on some branded WinMo devices. I thought maybe I could do the same for my N95-1, and quickly learned about all that stuff done by the great xda developers. You can unlock frequencies already present, but not add any.

As for the settings, that refers to the data compression done via the device. Certain carriers use different settings to keep the network running smooth and keeping bandwidth as open as possible. He may be using a less or more compressed setting to make things seem faster. But Nokia is known for having good network optimization out of the box, and the Symbian OS maturity is part of that.

So just know that no hackery can make the N900 work on at&t. There's a Chinese guy that manually does it by adding the proper radios, but I haven't tried it, and who wants to send his baby away that far?

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
So just know that no hackery can make the N900 work on at&t. There's a Chinese guy that manually does it by adding the proper radios, but I haven't tried it, and who wants to send his baby away that far?
OK, so the #2 provider in the states (AT&T) is not going to let an n900 on its network (at least in a properly functioning mode), but Verizon which i can also get a discount with is using antiquated CDMA, unless you have a "world phone" and pay premiums for that service. Most of their phones dont have SIM cards. Since they have to "pay" for blackberries to be on their network, and pass that "savings" on to their customers, will i have to pay a "tax" to have the n900 on their network too?

several co-workers have blackberries on Verizon, and they pay the $30 data plan charge, plus the ~$15 "blackberry" data plan add on. I resent having to pay for whatever they botched up with RIM, just to have a device on their network.
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Posts: 150 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Madrid, Spain
OK, so the #2 provider in the states (AT&T) is not going to let an n900 on its network (at least in a properly functioning mode), but Verizon which i can also get a discount with is using antiquated CDMA, unless you have a "world phone" and pay premiums for that service. Most of their phones dont have SIM cards. Since they have to "pay" for blackberries to be on their network, and pass that "savings" on to their customers, will i have to pay a "tax" to have the n900 on their network too?

several co-workers have blackberries on Verizon, and they pay the $30 data plan charge, plus the ~$15 "blackberry" data plan add on. I resent having to pay for whatever they botched up with RIM, just to have a device on their network.
Are you kidding!? Wow... That's total BS. I pay 18 euros a month for my personal blackberry, and for a company corporate account BB you pay 15... Standard unlimited data plans are 12 euros or 10 euros a month (depending on speed). So they charge MORE for BB data plans, but 30 + 15!? WTF.

Brendan, the number 2 carrier probably couldn't handle the traffic of the N900 at this point. It would perform badly in many areas of the US. at&t has sever capacity issues right now, which is why some apps are blocked on the iphone per at&t's alleged request.

TMo has great capacity and a growing network in the US. Coverage expands quickly, and they plan to boost speeds to 21mbps by next year.

You'll probably never see the N900 on Verizon. The production costs for such a small market would be probably prohibitive. Just my opinion, though. Anything's possible, but I think Verizon and Nokia won't get in bed until LTE launches next year.

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
I got a Blackberry Bold (my first ever Berry) after getting sick of the T9 keyboard and the browser closing automatically for no reason at all. Typing IMs on fring was getting to be a pain too
I can type with one hand on the BB when necessary as it's small enough for one hand. The push mail is great and the indicator LED is great. The iPhone users get annoyed that they have to constantly unlock their phone to see if they've received any messages
I use the N82 mostly for skype via fring, the camera and text messaging when replying to SMSs sent to that number. Also, Garmin GPS is pretty good on the N82 but the Bold has a much nicer screen. Good enough for me to watch full length DivX/XviD movies as well as TV shows like say Top Gear for example.

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
I would also say the majority of my emailing is done from the Bold since I got it last August. The keyboard is great and I can touch type while watching TV easily.
The majority of my browsing is done on here as well. The first thing I did was to install Opera like I did on my N82 and that works well. The standard BB browser is fine and you can use column view to see evrything on the screen but I find it easier using the 2 and 8 to pague up and down quickly on Opera.
I read somewjere that RIM bought up a company that will make their browser much better.

I stayed away from the Storm due to lack of wifi, divx and keyboard.

The N900 would be an N82 replacement. I'm not siure about downgrading that great xenon flash though. I am due a free upgrade and have my eyes on the SE Satio for the 12MP with both xenon and LED flash (and it's Symbian) or the N900. I would really like the N900 if it can do everything I want to overcome my reservations of the missing xenon flash.

PS. I'm a BIS user (internet email, personal not business).

And I agree, the RAM can get low. Or at least the Bold should allow installing applications on the internal 1gb storage or my 16gb SDHC card and maximize the RAM available for actual phone functionality in practice.
My N82 has Garmin installed on the SDHC card and it's great, so I see no reason not to have the option to install on memory cards.
I have read somewhere that Blackberry App World *may* install on the 45hc. That or archove uninstalled apps on there if you want to restore in future.

I hope the N900 will allow application installation on the 32gb internal (or external) storage.
Leave that lovely 256mb RAM and the 768 swap file available for the running of the machine

Last edited by Thor; 2009-09-25 at 09:55.

Posts: 150 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Madrid, Spain
I guess we'll have to wait and see :P Even though I've read many reviews (previews?) about the N900, and it's CERTAINLY going to be the best phone out there (in my personal opinion). I just want to see if the Keyboard has some good travel, and I can type w/o having to look (like on my bold). I know it'll take time to get used to, but hey. I don't mind.
Push email, always online, great UI. I'm game.