this is good, finally some review coming from average joe American phone (iPhone) user, and not die-hard Nokia/Symbian, I-need-my-phone-to-be-open linux OS user, or just Europeans reviewers. While I respect you guys, I just don't think you guys fit in the major consumer geography.

I'm as guilty as this guy...every touch screen phone I'm going to get I'll have to compare it with iPhone, because that just fits my life style more. I'm just staying away from it now because of my gadget blood but it's just difficult. I have a NAM N97 (when is 2.0 firmware coming out??) HTC Hero (the GSM version) and a blackberry storm sitting on the desk right now...I still go back to iPhone every now and then. Shite just works!

The Following User Says Thank You to tenoclock For This Useful Post:
"Apple makes its things great by leaving features out, Nokia somehow believes that adding more makes its products great. Maemo suffers from that, but it isn’t something Nokia can’t fix – quickly."

True fanboy...now if Apple releases the "left-out" features in an update, everyone praises them.

I, for one, like to have lots of features on my phone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to unkno For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Actually his review was fairly balanced IMO. I did post with some info for him though.
Yep. About as balanced as the liberal media reviewing a conservative

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Yep. About as balanced as the liberal media reviewing a conservative
LOL... the well-worn "liberal media" canard has bigger legs in theory than practice.

And yes, his review IS fairly balanced. He goes to great lengths to point out the good aspects of the device and the overall tone is that he is (a) surprised at its polish and (b) warmed to it despite prior bias.

I think those bashing his article are speed-reading or skipping.

Originally Posted by unkno View Post
"Apple makes its things great by leaving features out, Nokia somehow believes that adding more makes its products great. Maemo suffers from that, but it isn’t something Nokia can’t fix – quickly."

True fanboy...now if Apple releases the "left-out" features in an update, everyone praises them.

I, for one, like to have lots of features on my phone.
That's not fanboy philosophy, it's objective truth. Apple sells on use, Nokia sells on features. The different approaches resonate with different audiences.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I think he left out a few things from the article so that people here questions the 'formulation' of the final 6/10 score.

Otherwise I think it's a good article with good comparisons.

PS: Oh hey, check out this quotation from a famous person...

""Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

Can anyone guess who that is?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2009-10-20 at 03:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Agreed, ysss. Based on his points I would have given the device 7 out of 10.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I appreciate his perspective. He's just a different type of mobilist. He doesn't mind packing his lappy and iPhone. Different mobilists do things differently, which is why we have so many models. If you follow GigaOm, you'd know he's an iPhoner, and people that prefer it have their way of working and playing, and different expectations. Its the sports car/monster truck dilemma. 6/10 is tough, but is the iPhone a 10/10? We don't know...

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Guys, this is Om Malik we're talking about here, so please, don't even pretend that anything he says is even remotely relevant and it shows in his review.

His review boils down to "Wow, everything's really awesome, but it's not from Apple. 6/10!"

If you trust this guy, then you probably also get your news from The Onion.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
LOL... the well-worn "liberal media" canard has bigger legs in theory than practice.

And yes, his review IS fairly balanced. He goes to great lengths to point out the good aspects of the device and the overall tone is that he is (a) surprised at its polish and (b) warmed to it despite prior bias.

I think those bashing his article are speed-reading or skipping.
So essentially despite wanting to hate the device he was forced to admit it has some good if not great points. Tell me again how that's a balanced review?

As far as the "genius" of leaving things out. I will take an OS that gives ME the choice to leave something out or include it thanks.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following User Says Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post: