Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by lonelybug View Post
Kanji is Japanese stuff not Chinese, If you dont know it, please be quite, thx.
Directly from wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanji:
Kanji (help·info) (漢字?) are the Chinese characters that are used in the modern Japanese logographic writing system along with hiragana (ひらがな, 平仮名), katakana (カタカナ, 片仮名), Arabic numerals, and the occasional use of the Latin alphabet (also known as Rōmaji). The Japanese term kanji (漢字) literally means "Han characters".

"Han ren" is CHINA MAN

"If you dont know it, please be quite" NOT TRUE either, half bottle makes most noise, see the number of postings I posted?

bun

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Kusk View Post
Just how many can both read an european/american languange and chinese/japanese? Not many.
A lot of people in China and Japan who use computers are able to read and write English...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jjx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by Zuhälter View Post
Just to make a distinction... No one actually speaks Chinese, they speak either Mandarin or Cantonese or the other however many recognized languages in China. Saying someone speaks Chinese is like saying someone speaks European.
Well.... I do give you the credit that you know some chinese, but not enough (dont get mad, this is a very high regards for a non-chinese ).

Again, direct quote from wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_language
"The standardized form of spoken Chinese is Standard Mandarin (Putonghua / Guoyu / Huayu)"

Mandarin is Chinese language according to china government. So, in an official correspondence, speaking chinese would imply speaking in Mandarin.

I post, sometimes I want to argue, but mostly, I hate to see spread MIS-information.

I do give you credit that you know there is mandarin and cantonese. I was in the job market several years back, and was shock to realize that, in Hongkong, 99 % chinese speaks cantonese, fails to speak mandarin fluently is an obstacle for promotion or stay in post! Yes, fluently, in other words, those half a&& mandarin or so-call "Cantonese mandarin" is NOT good enough. This is to stress that Mandarin is chinese official language and how much effort china government is putting in to clamp down language other than mandarin.

"Saying someone speaks chinese...", in official terms translate into "Saying someone speaks mandarin..."

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2009-11-06 at 23:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Melbourne
First of all I have to clearly say, I am Chinese, and please be quite to talk about Chinese things, cultures, and customer, if you are not Chinese nor you are not living in China nor you are even dont know how to write, read and speaking Chinese.

I post this is for talk about tech way of the N900 product, which can make more money from different region market via to support multi-language and regions for the final release. but if this product cannot do that, or you (programmers?) have no the ability to do that, please do not talk like a girls.

This is a tech forum, I really dont know why so many people talk so much silly and bias idea about another country. If my speak is really hurt you weak heart, I have to say sorry because you are so pathetic.

You guys is always to try to attact me or my country, however, I cannot see any professional idea coming out to help people to focus on the problem in the future improvement development.

Please remember, N900 is a product, which Nokia is try to get back the lost market from Iphone, Gphone and other, it is not a toy at all.

Finally, i have to say i am not going to continue to reply this thread at all, it is kind of waste my time.
man, we don't have any interest to "attack" you or your country

the thing is your attitude from your first post do not encourage discussion for problem solving, instead its looks like you're blaming and bashing the device and nokia because they don't put Chinese language on the device.

nokia want to sell this device to US and Europe mainly, then to the rest of the world. Until today i believe English is still the world common language in those countries and the world overall, I'm not considering how many people actually speaking the language because i know china's population is huge

the thing is you ask something that is not being done at the moment, however if you look at the way N900 virtual keyboard can be changed to Arab language to accommodate people from e.g Dubai to communicate with their native language, from this example rather than trying to blame the manufacturer you can try to create the layout example of keyboard for Chinese words and attract some people (who can create the application for you and all other people who needs it) to create it which may resolve your problem and other people's problem.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BaKSo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
I was in the job market several years back, and was shock to realize that, in Hongkong, 99 % chinese speaks cantonese, fails to speak mandarin fluently is an obstacle for promotion or stay in post! Yes, fluently, in other words, those half a&& mandarin or so-call "Cantonese mandarin" is NOT good enough. This is to stress that Mandarin is chinese official language and how much effort china government is putting in to clamp down language other than mandarin.

bun
No.

If you worked in Hong Kong, failure to speak Cantonese would be a big obstacle for promotion. You would have a lot of difficulty if you don't speak Cantonese.

It is as simple as this:

Mandarin is the dominant language in some regions, and you must be fluent in Mandarin to do well in those regions.

Cantonese is the dominant language in some regions, and you must be fluent in Cantonese to do well in those regions.

In fact, Mandarin and Cantonese are not the only languages spoken by many people in China. There are other spoken languages in other regions.

The only thing which makes Mandarin different is that the region where it is dominant is larger than all the other regions, and that it's the official govevernment language.

Of course, in places where the dominant spoken language is not Mandarin, government officials speak the local language too otherwise they could not do their work.

You talk of "clamping down on language other Mandarin" like that is a good thing.

Human languages don't work that way, and trying to force it is not kind. Take a look at history and geography of languages around the world! Lots of countries have multiple languages. And lots of languages have multiple countries.

Cantonese is the native language of Hong Kong people. It is not new, it has been like that for a long time. They are as clever as you, they have just as good lives, they just speak a different language in that region.

You want them to speak Mandarin, even though it is not their native, local language? Even though millions of them speak Cantonese fluently and prefer it?

And then you complain when you think people are forcing you to use English or other European languages! It is the same thing!

Don't you recognise the hypocrisy and irony (contradiction) of your words?

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
"Saying someone speaks chinese...", in official terms translate into "Saying someone speaks mandarin..."

bun
When designing a phone for millions of Chinese people to use, it's really not useful to design it only for Mandarin speakers! No matter what the official government policy is.

The purpose of these things is to be useful to real people.

Not to satisfy an official policy.

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Warren, MI, USA
Regardless, I still think it's an internet tablet. Language has nothing to do with it functioning as such.

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Kanji is Japanese stuff not Chinese, If you dont know it, please be quite, thx.
.....be quite what?

Dammit, bun, you're just not quite enough............................

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
.....be quite what?

Dammit, bun, you're just not quite enough............................
Did you seriously not see it was a spelling mistake?

Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
*facepalm*
Right back at you 'buddy'.

Tags
cool story bro, cunning linguist, dumb thread read if bored, he can't get an n900, he loves the iphone..., stop the sexism, toe, too long didn't read, turning japanese, wooptadeedoo!, yes we know why, you're lonely