Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
That "enable usb host mode" was (AFAIK) aimed strictly at the 770, which could only be switched between gadget and host by the flasher. (Feel free to correct me).

Looking around in /sys yields lots of positive things, including a similar structure to the N8x0 (musb_hdrc). There's even a usb_host:usb_host1 folder hanging off of it. I played around briefly with some stuff in there and a USB-A female-female converter, but didn't have any luck yet.

-John

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Johnx For This Useful Post:
AFAIK.. I talked to a Nokia representative at the N900 meetups and asked him multiple times and what he said was that at the time they would not get the certification for USB OTG alongwith the USB charging so they don't say so. He also said that somebody from the community is working on it..

I hope he is right...

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by Johnx View Post
That "enable usb host mode" was (AFAIK) aimed strictly at the 770, which could only be switched between gadget and host by the flasher. (Feel free to correct me).
-John
It was generally believed that the 770 could only be switched by the flasher, until Fanoush explained what the --enable-usb-host-mode option does. See this post:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=44550&postcount=13 .

In brief, this is Fanoush's explanation:
By running flasher with that option, you reset input to the linuxrc, so that two things will happen differently at boot:
(1) additional modules are loaded (see the list of USB_HOST_MODULES in Fanoush's post);
(2) the "echo host" command is executed, instead of "echo peripheral".

As a result, the 770 boots in host mode instead of peripheral mode.

However, as Fanoush also points out, the user can load those same modules after booting in peripheral mode and can also execute the "echo host" command. There is no need to use the flasher.

A further step is needed to make host mode work on the 770, if it has booted in peripheral mode. ke-recv has to be restarted by running another command:
Code:
/etc/init.d/ke-recv restart
This apparently simulates a later stage of the boot, so that the Tablet behaves as though it had booted in host mode. (I do not understand what ke-recv is, but I can assure you that host mode works after restarting it and will not work otherwise.)

Unlike the activation by flasher, this method "by hand" does not change the operation of linuxrc, and the 770 boots in peripheral mode again the next time. Peripheral mode can also be obtained without reboot by unloading the extra modules, running the "echo peripheral" command and restarting ke-recv again.

In the list of USB_HOST_MODULES, ohci-hcd is the only one that absolutely MUST be inserted before running the "echo host" command. The other modules are drivers for peripheral devices and can be inserted later as needed. However, it is simpler to include them all in a script to activate host mode in one step (and similarly to use a script that will return the 770 to peripheral mode).

Like the N900, the 770 has an OTG controller that is disabled by missing out three connections: two for powering the transceiver and one for responding to grounding of the ID pin. Somehow, insertion of the ohci-hcd module fools the controller into behaving like an OHCI instead of OTG. Messages to that effect appear in dmesg. Grounding of the fifth pin is consequently not needed. That deals with one of the missing connections. Powering of the transceiver in host mode is done via Y-cable from an external power source.

There are obvious differences between the devices' USB handling, notably the N900's musb_hdrc compared with the 770's tahvo-usb. Nevertheless, the many parallels suggested a possibly fruitful avenue to explore. That is why qole was interested in ohci and ehci modules.

@javispedro: On the 770, there is no need to remove the tahvo-usb. Insertion of the ohci-hcd module overrules the permanently peripheral OTG operation. Nobody is saying that the same thing must work for the N900. As qole and I have said, this merely looked like a suggestive avenue to explore.

HOWEVER, if this well-travelled path could lead to host mode on the N900, it is hard to understand why Nokia did not incorporate it into their new flasher. It is not only users who are complaining about the lack of host mode: developers are upset as well. My apologies to the engineers for saying that a software route to host mode is currently beyond their capability. That was unwarranted. I should have said that it must be pretty darned hard. Which is actually the point I was trying to make.

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket. Facts are facts, and suggestive facts are suggestive. The lack of a USB option in the latest flasher is a fact that I find highly suggestive - more so than I previously thought about the parallels between N900 and 770.

PS Apology to qole. He knows why.

Last edited by scaler; 2009-11-09 at 01:57. Reason: Removed incorrect statement about 5th pin on 770

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to scaler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by ashish View Post
AFAIK.. I talked to a Nokia representative at the N900 meetups and asked him multiple times and what he said was that at the time they would not get the certification for USB OTG alongwith the USB charging so they don't say so.
Yeah, that was how it was with N810 too, but as you can see this situation is different because unlocking it doesn't work.

He also said that somebody from the community is working on it..
Yeah, heard that before... and who'd that be?

Lets not give people hope based on dubious claims...

Lol.. well that gave me hopes too.. But I sure do hope it will work.. Else I'll be Bluetooth PANning with my N810 or something like that.. :/

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
@ashiah: Why not let the N810 be the host and use g_ether or g_file_storage on the N900?

@allnameswereout: I'll be surprised if we don't have USB host inside a month of release.

and to everyone who won't buy this if it doesn't have USB host: Don't buy this until someone proves USB host works. Caveat emptor.

-John

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I have received a new Mobidapter from roalan.com, some days after an email which stated:
Elan have informed me that some USB drives are not compatible with the Mobiadapter. They are sending me back the adapter along with a free USB drive which works with it. I will forward these back to you as soon as I receive it.
Of course, this completely defeats the scope of the device.

Together with the Mobidapter there was a 1 gigabyte USB stick.

Neither this stick nor my ones do work with my phones (e90, e51).

I can say now with enough confidence that the Mobidapter is a scam, and its seller (Elan, www.elandigitalsystems.com) has false claims on his site, i.e. that the Mobidapter can read " USB pens supported up to the maximum capacity of the host PDA or phone". Can't read even the one they sent me.

Don't buy it!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Does the adapter have a battery? Most microsd slots probably don't provide enough power for a usb drive and the adapter. I expect you will have better luck either in SD slots that accept SDIO cards, or with externally powered usb storage devices.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
hi. swedish readers of magazine mobil.se had a chat with klas ström. product manager in sweden. used google transaltor. Love the transaltion of his name. HAHAHA. epic... any way, whats your thoughts about this??? could it be true?

Daniel.: Hi, Does the N900 is super intresant, but have some questions. In this era interjuv on mobil.se you mentioned that N900 has a digital compass, is it? (Augmented Reality could drive possible) .. FM radio was not included in the Spec but were in cell phone only!. Another feature that is intresant is USB host, which is N810. The number of grains of gold have not been shown yet? Fråga2: Maemo device / software will be sold in OVI Store, and will be largely open source. But what about larger companies such as EA, they will sell / develop games for N900, have read that there are problems with DRM protection, or is this simply make music? Can we expect more games in the same class of Bounce? Mao will be able to buy software / games on OVI Store.

McBeath: Hi, Earlier it was planned Magno feet but unfortunately it was taken away so it does not have a digital compass. However, it will be good GPS functions with directions to the N900. Both FM radio and USB Host goes to refuel down through beta-apps directory. FM Transmitter is the default. There are many other gold nuggets. Nintendo Wii controller you can connect to the N900 and use the SNES emulator, BT support for mouse and keyboard or USB then if you want. Lots of other features and so many games, too. As I said before, you'll easily be able to see the available

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
Does the adapter have a battery? Most microsd slots probably don't provide enough power for a usb drive and the adapter. I expect you will have better luck either in SD slots that accept SDIO cards, or with externally powered usb storage devices.
Nope, no battery. I'll try to make up a battery-powered hub and retry.

Closed Thread

Tags
awesomeness in the works, boulevard of broken deals, host, i am the dealbreaker, inspector gadget lies, mobidapter is a scam, nokia fanbois, otg, over 9000, usb, usbcontrol