Notices

Hey, newbie here, be gentle

I hope to be getting my n800 tomorrow, or maybe Friday, in time for a quick trip overseas. This is probably a dumb question but... are the pre-loaded chat/video chat apps compatible with something nice and easy my gf can run back here on her laptop? The only video I have seen showing folks 'video-chatting' was between two n800s.

TIA,
A.

Originally Posted by axzr View Post
are the pre-loaded chat/video chat apps compatible with something nice and easy my gf can run back here on her laptop?
Congratulations on your purchase. The easiest way to get a video chat would be with Google Talk, which comes built in to the N800.

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Eureka, CA
for video chat you will have to invite your gf, and she'll have to download a program. it's pretty easy.

http://nds2.nokia.com/tutorials/supp...ish/index.html

Thanks for the feedback. Not actually going to get my n800 in time for the weekend now... but thanks anyway.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ here and there
i must be missing something here. i can see my video preview in google talk on the n800 but where on the pc google talk client can i set the video options?

It doesn't work that way (=with a pc google talk client), you have to install a specific Nokia-made PC program to be able to video talk between a PC and an N800. In the N800 video app there's an option somewhere in the menues to send an invitation. You can select a google talk contact there (the way I got that contact into the N800 was to go to my gmail account and select Contacts, and set that contact to 'Always' for 'Show in Quick Contacts'. For some reason this will get the N800 to import that contact, as soon as you have configured your own gmail identifier on the N800.)
This will send a link to the other party through a google talk chat, if the other party clicks that link on the PC it'll download and install a program on the PC. The program works, but it's not good: For some it works fine (sound, video, looks ok), for others it's either sound only and no video on the N800 but video on the PC (they can see you, you can't see them), or 99% CPU usage on the PC, or both. Plus and/or choppy sound too. All depending. The PC program is not mature.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ here and there
ahh thanks man that was it. now i might be able to chat with my wife from iraq!