Active Topics

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Part of the trick of donations is to make it as easy as possible. The problem with Paypal is it requires going through several steps just to donate the money.
Yeah, but I don't see it getting any easier for a "normal" person.

Yeah the problem with donating on the Internet is it first requires setting up an account, which always takes a few steps. No way to get around that issue sadly.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Please paste your Ovi publishing related questions at http://wiki.maemo.org/Ovi_Store_publishing and I will do my best getting official answers. Thanks!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 183 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
i liked that tag "one billion dollars!".
Srsly, don't make it worse, this is no funneh.
The Ovistore team should really rethink some of their strategies & keep in mind, that It's not a shame to copy something that works somewhere else.

-Albert Camus
If this post was useful, please use the "Thanks"-button and I will do so, when you post something useful.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by qole View Post
...or wallpapers... They want to protect their butts if Nintendo decides to sue them for, say, use of their artwork in some classic gaming wallpapers...
The wallpapers fall directly under the fair use laws in the US. I had no idea that my wallpapers were already on Ovi though. No one told me about that.

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Yeah the problem with donating on the Internet is it first requires setting up an account, which always takes a few steps. No way to get around that issue sadly.
Actually no. With Paypal the recipient will need an account, but that's no big deal. But people sending money don't need an account. They can just enter payment card details like on any site.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by code177 View Post
I've just been discussing with Ovi regarding N900 Apps, here are a few excerpts you may be interested in.
So it looks like all this huge discussion started with a misunderstanding. Ovi publishing for Maemo is still unreleased and this is why Debian packages are not in the current list of formats supported in the list of 'plain' formats. Hense the confusion that it must be part of the Premium supported formats. From that point you are directed to the Premium, the extra liability insurance and so on.

Coclusion: if you are interested in Ovi publishing for Maemo please wait until the service is released. Then we (and Ovi itself) will explain you how to join etc.

The experience of code177 has been interesting and we are trying to be helpful with him because of that. Other developers like him, please get familiar with Forum Nokia since this is the natural Nokia platform for commercial developers. And next time you know that there is a right time for everything.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
I think the Confirmed/Caution part of this thread title should be removed since it has been unconfirmed since Code was reading details not related to the N900

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
I think the Confirmed/Caution part of this thread title should be removed since it has been unconfirmed since Code was reading details not related to the N900

To be fair, here's the last email I received from Ovi:

Originally Posted by Ovi Publishing
Unfortunately, only the approved premium publisher can publish for N900 at this moment and the approval for premium publisher will take a long time based on the fact that the queue for application is quite huge now. We welcome you to apply for the normal publisher status once you have all the information we want to distribute applications other than N900.
So I do not believe this was a misunderstanding or an inaccuracy.

However, I cannot speak for the Open Source aspect of the Ovi Store because that is not my realm of knowledge (emphasis needed). For the time being it is very clear that commercial (for money) applications must currently go through the rigorous process that has been outlined previously.

As Quim has mentioned, this forum isn't actually the place to debate the policy changes or try and influence anything regarding commercial application development. My intent in proffering this information at this juncture is only to give a heads up to the other potential commercial developers who may be lurking here (of which there are more than a few).

I believe the Extras / Maemo Select is probably the best route at the moment for anybody wishing the publish open source applications. I feel that the difference between Open Source and Free in this context is trivial, as most people offering a free application - unless it is under the guise of a promotional offering ('try our lite version!'), are not going to be concerned about source obfuscation.

So from a free / open source perspective, Ovi's side of maemo (Maemo Select) and the integration with extras that we've seen so far ("from the community") appears to be working quite efficiently - I apologise for the confusion between the two, but at the very least we now know that there is a difference.

Interestingly it seems as though me and Quim have differing ideas on what the current process is, so I'm not sure which is correct, but I am quite certain as this information becomes available and more clear someone will clarify it

That said, I believe this thread has been a valuable weather meter (hopefully someone is paying attention) and there's been a lot of unique and interesting suggestions put forward, which generally speaking is never a bad thing.

Hope this helps and makes a little sense

Last edited by code177; 2009-11-25 at 18:00.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by code177 View Post
...here's the last email I received from Ovi:
Unfortunately, only the approved premium publisher can publish for N900 at this moment and the approval for premium publisher will take a long time based on the fact that the queue for application is quite huge now. We welcome you to apply for the normal publisher status once you have all the information we want to distribute applications other than N900.

There are some fascinating tidbits of information there...

Only premium publishers can publish for the N900. I wonder why that is? They only want "safe" or "trusted" publishers on the new device? They couldn't handle the capacity if "regular" publishers could publish for the N900?

There's a "huge" queue of developer applications wanting to become premium publishers. I wonder if that huge queue is due to general, regular bureaucracy at Ovi (the queue has been there a while, and it is getting longer rather than shorter because the processing capacity is much smaller than the new application rate), or specifically due to the launch of the N900?

Anyway, thanks for this thread, code177. It really has given us all an insight into the schizophrenia of a huge company with lots of semi-autonomous units, and the problems of a small commercial developer trying to get onto a playing field usually reserved for "the big boys".

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:

Tags
one billion dollars!