Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
So you agree with me, mrojas? Or am I mad for nothing? Bring some balance into this, because Nokia has tipped my scale. I'm SICK of the training wheels. Wasn't Maemo for the advanced and Symbian for the masses??

Qole, so no option exists at this time?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Well, as other people have said, you can use the command line ("gateway to awesomeness" and my personal fave), or one of the other available file managers, which tend to be fairly non-intuitive and hard to use. I'm hoping for a middle ground, which I don't believe exists right now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I'm an ooold Dos, Unix and VAX scripting guy who used to eat live and breathe command line goodness. Ah yes, editing vi files on a ComputerVision CAD system-- o yay!

But now I guess I'm too old to enjoy that masochistic stuff at this point- because like Chris and others I want a powerful GUI approach to file management. Qole is spot on in his assessment IMO.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
So you agree with me, mrojas? Or am I mad for nothing? Bring some balance into this, because Nokia has tipped my scale. I'm SICK of the training wheels. Wasn't Maemo for the advanced and Symbian for the masses??
Well, I was in the same situation back in the day for similar reasons. Didn't want to use the command line unless I absolutely had to, so I tried File Explorers until emelfm solved my problem.

Be patient my friend! You yourself said that Symbian's default FE was awful, and eventually third parties provided more complete ones. I am sure the same will happen eventually, Maemo is still young.

Because I believe that while the command line is an acceptable option, it shouldn't be the only one.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 38 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Allemagne
It's not a real solution, but for a start you could access the location "file:///" in the (web) browser, to at least browse the file system.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Shanezlar For This Useful Post:
Thanks, Shanezlar, but that helps as much as CLI. How do I know what to type when I don't know what is there? Just let me look on my own. Its time to lose the training wheels.

The Following User Says Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Propose to enable an Advanced mode in FM so that we can navigate wherever we want in the file system...

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ NE UK
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
How do I know what to type when I don't know what is there? Just let me look on my own. Its time to lose the training wheels.
Actually, if you point your browser at

file:///

you won't need to type further.. Just use it like a file manager in readonly mode and click on stuff you want to look at. There's even a "show hidden stuff" option which ... defaults to ON !

You could even bookmark it and put it on your desktop..

It's a pretty good suggestion, imho. If you want to more specifically look in user's home directory, do the same for file:///home/user/

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kwotski For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Someone definitely needs to make an Advanced File Manager app. Better than the default FM, but much more simple than EmelFM.
I'm no hacker, and I don't find emelFM2 complex. It could stand to be more polished (e.g., commands accessible from an on-screen drop-down menu), but I didn't find it needed to be simpler (at least once a key to the icons was published and I learned that I sometimes had to launch it from root).

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post: