Notices

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Hey shin.

Yeah, there's no need to test this.

It only worked once on my end and it's broken in many areas.

I'll look into this some more.

Okay. I was thinking of reflashing back to one of the earlier versions of Chinook, copying the entire X11 folder to my memory card, reflashing back to Diablo and then overwriting the X11 folder from my memory card.

Would this possibly work?

Does anyone have a few ideas on what to try in finally getting Xkbd working correctly?

I'm willing to attempt all given suggestions.

Thanks ahead.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Just curious: For what do you use xkbd?

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Just curious: For what do you use xkbd?
Quite a lot, Gerald.

Let's see, there's Dosbox, SCUMM, telnet, open ssh, Syncterm, Angband, 5 Minute Medical Consult, AHFS Drug Information, Merck Manual, Harrison's Manual of Medicine, Labs 360, etc. through Garnet VM and Ukki's port of Scid.

So yeah, since I have a N800, I really depend on having an alternative touch screen keyboard.

Since I answered your question, now will you help me?

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by Addison View Post

Since I answered your question, now will you help me?
I'd be glad to help by trying things out. I don't code. I do Xterm (largely) by rote. Any requests?

I remember trying xkbd for an alternative browser and maybe for another thing or two more than a year ago and decided it wasn't worth the hassle. I've been tempted to try some old Macintosh programs under emulation (Basilisk II), so I bought an N810 on eBay to try those out without having to depend on xkbd. (Heck, I also bought it out of curiosity -- I've never so much as seen a NIT that I hadn't bought myself, and I want to try out a hardware keyboard, and the other minor goodies.)

But if you want an N800 user to do his bit for xkbd, I'll give it a shot.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Okay! Renewed hope once again!

There's a newer version I found on the net.

All I did was
root
cd /media/mmc2
dpkg -i xkbd_0.8.16-1_armel.deb

I rebooted since I wasn't getting either the ' or " keys working both before and after the new install.

I think this new version fully works without doing that whole gconftool trick!

Can someone also test this?

Xkbd
So, if I got this right, neither of the versions of xkbd (not even the last one you found) are bugs-free...
Let me know if my N800 can be of any use to your noble cause

The Following User Says Thank You to JustNick For This Useful Post:
Yeah, neither versions are all that safe to use.

Something happened way back when as everyone upgraded to a newer 2007 OS. Since then Xkbd input would produce random signals, some of which would force you to reboot because it caused that much chaos.

I'm slowly homing in on a fix.

I do need help with any theories people might have on what caused the sudden change between OS versions.

Here's what I think I know...
gconftool-2 --set -t bool /system/osso/af/keyboard-attached true
or
/etc/osso-af-init/keyboard.sh stop

Either of these two commands makes Xkbd function correctly again since it stops the hildon keyboard.

Only problem with this is that the ' " ~ keys no longer work, but that's the only trouble I've seen so far.

Here's the thing though, if I select the Spanish hildon keyboard, those keys will stop working on that as well. I'm not sure what that means.

Well, I reflashed to the first ever 2007 release and copied the /usr/share/X11 and /etc/osso-af-init/ folders to my memory card.

Any suggestions on what old files I should copy back to Diablo to see if this fixes anything?

Again, I'm willing to test out any ideas from you guys.

Thanks.

Edit:
And since I don't know what the heck I'm doing here, I need some ideas.

Last edited by Addison; 2009-12-07 at 22:57.

Allright. After flashing way back to RX-34_2007SE_4.2007.38-2 and installing Xkbd, it works just fine.

All keys are recognized and correctly displayed when typed as expected it would. No weirdness at all.

So what might be a program, file or database that I can copy over to Diablo from the first OS version that might finally fix Xkbd once and for all?

Even a guess on this would be helpful for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Hey Nick or Gerald, can I get one of you to try something for me?

In Xterm just like before:
gconftool-2 --set -t bool /system/osso/af/keyboard-attached true & gconftool-2 --set -t bool /system/osso/af/keyboard-attached false

Now fire up Xkbd from the application menu.

First check to see if the letter "a" is lowercase, if not, close Xkbd. Maybe try to run the command again?

Anyway, once you get a lowercase "a" press these key combinations.

' followed by the letter y
" followed by the letter y

Post back on your results.

Thanks.

First combination -> there's an accent on the y (I guess this means a positive result)
Second combination -> there's a diaeresis on the y (no idea if it's good or bad...)
Dpad didn't die and N800 is still in one piece
= works now!

The Following User Says Thank You to JustNick For This Useful Post: