Active Topics

Notices

any update on this ?

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 498 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Poland
Well, it will enter Extras most likely unchanged, Don't worry about system stabiility, the package really isn't doing anything fancy or dangerous. I've had it installed since I made it and nothing bad is happening. I'll look into the bugtracker field, but be aware that I'm doing this in my spare time and besides packaging bugs (of which there are none, at least to my knowledge) I wouldn't even begin to be able to fix any decoder-related issues. The next version will most likely enter testing in 2010, I need to figure out the packaging details of the -bad gstreamer set, which contains RealMedia demuxing and other useful things. Just don't expect anything spectacular, this will not work on the DSP, so it'll eat the battery like there's no tomorrow. It's one of the reasons why I'm not really pushing to get all these things done as quickly as possible.

By the way, do not waste your time hoping for playback of HD video of any format. I'm aware that the N900 is technically able to playback 720p H.264 video without any troubles, using the DSP, but the current software does not allow this and I'm certainly unable to fix that.

Also, I recently found out that H.264 format support only covers the Baseline profile, which makes Matroska support rather useless, as almost nobody uses Baseline for that container. Matroska does work, but it's only a tick on the list of formats, in the real world we would also need Normal and High profile, CABAC support, etc.

Last edited by Tomaszd; 2009-12-17 at 09:38. Reason: HD Info

The Following User Says Thank You to Tomaszd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 42 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Chicago, IL
Originally Posted by Tomaszd View Post
Well, it will enter Extras most likely unchanged, Don't worry about system stabiility, the package really isn't doing anything fancy or dangerous. I've had it installed since I made it and nothing bad is happening. I'll look into the bugtracker field, but be aware that I'm doing this in my spare time and besides packaging bugs (of which there are none, at least to my knowledge) I wouldn't even begin to be able to fix any decoder-related issues. The next version will most likely enter testing in 2010, I need to figure out the packaging details of the -bad gstreamer set, which contains RealMedia demuxing and other useful things. Just don't expect anything spectacular, this will not work on the DSP, so it'll eat the battery like there's no tomorrow. It's one of the reasons why I'm not really pushing to get all these things done as quickly as possible.

By the way, do not waste your time hoping for playback of HD video of any format. I'm aware that the N900 is technically able to playback 720p H.264 video without any troubles, using the DSP, but the current software does not allow this and I'm certainly unable to fix that.

Also, I recently found out that H.264 format support only covers the Baseline profile, which makes Matroska support rather useless, as almost nobody uses Baseline for that container. Matroska does work, but it's only a tick on the list of formats, in the real world we would also need Normal and High profile, CABAC support, etc.
Tomas, I think I speak for the n900 owners and maemo as a whole in saying a major thank you for getting this developed. As with most devs, its spare time work, and even though it isnt "finished" persay, this plugin/app adds TONS of useful functionality to the N900.

Thanks!

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

It's people like this that will make the N900 skyrocket with awesomeness.

"Oh, looks like the N900 could really use an application that does XXXXX. Hmmm, guess I'll write it."

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Austin, Texas
I was going to post this on the garage page, but you've got 10 votes now, so I guess it's time to import into extras.

MPEG-TS container, .mpg extension
MPEG2 704x480@30 (1250kbyte/s)
AC3 128kbit 48kHz
Works from SD class 4 and eMMC at reduced framerate. AV sync good.

AVI container, .avi extension
XVID 576x432@24
AC3 192kbit 48kHz
Works.

MKV container, .mkv extension
XVID 704x384@24
AC3 448kbit 48kHz
**Unsupported vcodec**

This last one plays on my laptop in totem (gstreamer 0.10.25 and gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg 0.10.9). I thought it would work, unless there is a resolution limit for xvid?

thank you. just, thank you.

of the sixteen various video files i threw on there, only one didn't work.

~700MB file
~720x480 resolution
MKV container
MP4a audio codec
AVC1 video codec

Last edited by REMFwhoopitydo; 2009-12-18 at 12:35.

Will this support streaming TS container streams too?

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Austin, Texas
Originally Posted by Arif View Post
Will this support streaming TS container streams too?
Yes, it does. I have streamed TS files from mythtv via upnp. The mediaplayer doesn't support seeking in a stream though.

Well, it's kinda hard to seek in a live stream anyway. So no worries there

I guess no support for MP4 containers? I have a lot of recent files which are in this format.

Edit: Let me correct myself, I have one MP4 that runs.

The one that works:

mp42: MP4 v2 [ISO 14496-14]
- mp41: MP4 v1 [ISO 14496-1:ch13]
Recommended Display Size: 720 x 480

The one that doesn't:

isom: MP4 Base Media v1 [IS0 14496-12:2003]
- avc1: MP4 Base w/ AVC ext [ISO 14496-12:2005]
Recommended Display Size: 720 x 480

Both are h.264 codec with AAC audio.

The bit rate for the second file is higher (2278 kbps vs 1391 kbps). I don't know if it makes a difference.

Last edited by TheLongshot; 2009-12-19 at 23:34.