Active Topics

Notices

By no dice I meant same error

Tried copy pasting the sample file into Notes (and selecting Text only). All of a sudden it read the location of the other files immediately (ca, key and cert). But since it can only save as a txt, it isn't recognized as a config file afterwards

Tried messing by copying it to a .conf, but then Openvpn says it doesn't recognize the "client" command, or whatever is on the first line (it was the ##################### first, after removing the absolete lines client was the first line)

I'll try the leaf thingy

How do I copy/paste from the terminal btw?

Originally Posted by jkommeren View Post
Tried copy pasting the sample file into Notes (and selecting Text only). All of a sudden it read the location of the other files immediately (ca, key and cert). But since it can only save as a txt, it isn't recognized as a config file afterwards
Wrong line breaks or wrong encoding is probably the reason then. With leafpad you can name the file correctly.

How do I copy/paste from the terminal btw?
There's arrow button on toolbar which let's you select text, then copy text from pull down menu. ctrl+v to paste to other programs.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Norway
By no dice I meant same error
Please specify error messages each time - it helps others hopping in somewhat later in the thread.

Tried messing by copying it to a .conf, but then Openvpn says it doesn't recognize the "client" command, or whatever is on the first line (it was the ##################### first, after removing the absolete lines client was the first line)
Sorry, by Notes you mean Windows ? In which case it is quite likely the Windows/Unix <EOL> problem. Windows is <CR><LF>, Unix only <LF>. In which case you'll have to convert the file to Unix <EOL>. It doesn't look like dos2unix exists on N900 so try the following :
Code:
tr -d '\r' < inputfile > outputfile

Originally Posted by adrianp View Post
Please specify error messages each time - it helps others hopping in somewhat later in the thread.

Sorry, by Notes you mean Windows ? In which case it is quite likely the Windows/Unix <EOL> problem. Windows is <CR><LF>, Unix only <LF>. In which case you'll have to convert the file to Unix <EOL>. It doesn't look like dos2unix exists on N900 so try the following :
Code:
tr -d '\r' < inputfile > outputfile
I used the Notes on the N900 sorry for being unclear

clien.ovpn:1 : EAWNA:105,1 (2.1_rc20) was the error

Tried tr -d '\r' config.conf conf.conf but it didn't work, gave me an empty line after I pressed enter, the ~ thingy didn't reappear and had to close the terminal before I could use it again

I'll try installing Leafpad, and have to untar, so give me a couple of mins
(sorry but I'm a REAL Linux noob)

Right so I'm stuck. When I try to un-tar the Leafpad.tar.bz2 file, it gives me the "tar: invalid gzip magic" error. please help
EDIT Nevermind I've tried the .tar.gz file which seems to work
EDIT2 it didn't but found another way:

apt-get install leafpad

Started the download and installation of Leafpad
Geez this is confusing lol didn't know it could download from the terminal *blush*

Last edited by jkommeren; 2009-12-18 at 11:22.

Tried tr -d '\r' config.conf conf.conf but it didn't work, gave me an empty line after I pressed enter, the ~ thingy didn't reappear and had to close the terminal before I could use it again

apt-get install leafpad

Started the download and installation of Leafpad
Geez this is confusing lol didn't know it could download from the terminal *blush*
Please install applications with Application Manager.

There's a difference between
Code:
tr -d '\r' config.conf conf.conf
and
Code:
tr -d '\r' < config.conf > conf.conf

Right, cheers for that, but no longer needed. couldn't find leafpad on the app mgr.

Problem is solved. I used emails with attachments to send the files to the n900, and the combination of gmail and nokia messaging gave me corrupted attachments, which i found out after editing the config file with leafpad.

thanks so much for your help guys ended up opening gmail in the webbrowser and downloading the attachments from it. the applet isn't clever enough to delete/overwrite all of the old files tho, so had to do that manually. I'm a happy camper now

EDIT: Made the post a little clearer

Last edited by jkommeren; 2009-12-21 at 17:25.

the applet isn't clever enough to delete/overwrite the old files tho, so had to do that manually. I'm a happy camper now
Are you sure? Applet is supposed to be capable of overwriting the old files and also deleting the old files if it can read the configuration file.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
@ Mikkov

Yes 100% sure. First I deleted the old config, which included the personal cert file, but it didn't show the cert file in the list of files which it was about to delete (in the "are you sure" dialog)
Then I fed it the new files, which were all in 1 separate folder. Yet it gave some strange error during the test and didn't connect. Manually deleted all of the config related files in the openvpn folder, then tried again. All worked perfectly.
So it's probably a minor issue, since only 1 of the 4 files wasn't deleted, but still.

@ Mikkov

Yes 100% sure. First I deleted the old config, which included the personal cert file, but it didn't show the cert file in the list of files which it was about to delete (in the "are you sure" dialog)
Then I fed it the new files, which were all in 1 separate folder. Yet it gave some strange error during the test and didn't connect. Manually deleted all of the config related files in the openvpn folder, then tried again. All worked perfectly.
So it's probably a minor issue, since only 1 of the 4 files wasn't deleted, but still.
If you had more than one connection using the same cert file, cert file isn't deleted until the last connection using it is deleted. Applet doesn't really support connections in separate directories, so that might be the reason too.

Hi Guys, i don't understand. I installed OpenVpn and i've tried to configure it with negative results. In which file I have to insert IP address,user and password to access my VNP?
Thanks in advance.