Poll: Does your N900 have GPS problems?
Poll Options
Does your N900 have GPS problems?

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Well, it did not really solve the problem. Yes, it locked by changing to google, but you need internet to stay locked. I drove away from wifi and it lost the lock and stayed unlock for 10min till I am home. Need to say more about Nokia gps?

bun

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
I opened up a bug:

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7057

Feel free to add detailed comments regarding your situation if you can (if you are affected by the T-Mobile Network location issue)

The Following User Says Thank You to hypnotik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 8 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Mpls, MN
Used my GPS for the first time tonight, was a little worried after reading about so many problems. Worked out pretty well I suppose, took a minute to acquire then fixed pretty solid. My biggest issue, like many others, man, the maps and mapping software app suck! How much longer do we have to wait for a google map app on Maemo?

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by ElGringo View Post
...took a minute to acquire then fixed pretty solid...
What happened when you start driving and lost internet connection........you got it right, it fixed right at that spot, yet "...fixed pretty solid". Mine is like that, 100 % useless without internet connection. I think I will have to do the old trick, couple it with a BT gps

bun

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
I simply have never been able to use the GPS system on the N900 successfully. Could not search for any location... I hope there is no map loader to download somewhere... I got too spoiled by my N95. Anything else we need to download to get this to work? I only use the Ovi Map right now and nothing seems to be working. It always gives me a place in Paris, France. I live in Kentucky USA. Hahaha.. there is definitely something wrong with my N900 GPS system.

Last edited by x61; 2009-12-21 at 03:26.

Ovi Map does not work on mine, bad Nokia made expensive phone but apps does not work right.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Can you please follow these steps:

0. SIM card inserted.
1. Settings - Location - Network positioning ENABLED
2. Settings - Internet connection - Connect automatically ALWAYS ASK
3. Settings - Phone - Data roaming ALWAYS ASK
4. Settings - Phone - Data counter - write down values or CLEAR
5. Start Ovi Maps.
6. Cancel all requests to connect or download data.

How long does it take to get a coarse lock? You can even try indoors.

If you are outside, how much extra time is needed to get a fine accurate lock? Check the location status area plugin if you can't see it clearly with Ovi Maps.

Report results here or, even better, at https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7026

EDIT: see https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7026#c25

Thank you!

Last edited by qgil; 2009-12-21 at 16:00.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
More than 50 votes here, more than 100 votes in a related bug at bugs.maemo.org and only one person reporting back?

Are you too busy or already happy with the AGPS-free-of-charge solution? Else?

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
More than 50 votes here, more than 100 votes in a related bug at bugs.maemo.org and only one person reporting back?

Are you too busy or already happy with the AGPS-free-of-charge solution? Else?
qgil, sorry this has been frustrating as no one is bothering to test. I'll have a go later and post results. Will try to kick a few others to do the same.

I do think that quite a few people are put off with having to create another account to post bug entries though. Not sure how this would be worked around though unless we have a controlled posting page on Maemo.org?

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Western Europe
I believe I have found out where some of the cached GPS data are kept:
/etc/osso-af-init/gconf-dir/system/nokia/location/lastknown/%gconf.xml
Moving this file out of the way and rebooting before starting the GPS test seems to resolve the problem. Can anyone confirm this?

1. Enter 'mv /etc/osso-af-init/gconf-dir/system/nokia/location/lastknown/%gconf.xml /home/user/%gconf.xml.backup' in the X-terminal
2. Reboot
3. Try to get an unassisted GPS fix