Notices

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Ireland
Originally Posted by N900_NEWBIE View Post
Hi

I get Rdesktop cannot work properly because there is some problem with the connection network

I am confused because I have 2 computers on and the IP on them is the same. So how would Rdesktop know where which one to connect
Err, you can't have two computers with the same IP, unless you're talking about NAT which I seriously doubt.

I take it you are connected to your WIFI at home, and not trying to remote desktop over the internet/3G connection?

Check the IP of your PC, lets say as an example it is: 192.168.1.10
From a terminal on your phone, type: "ping 192.168.1.10". If you get a response then you know you at least have connectivity.
You can get the IP of your phone too, by typing: "/sbin/ifconfig wlan0".

But since the app is installed, you should probably look for help to this problem elsewhere. Good luck.

Thanks...to be on the same page, I get my IP by doing an IPCONFIG...there is IP address, subnet mast and a default gateway. I used IP address...something like 192.123.1.12, am I doing it right?

Originally Posted by jkq View Post
Try turning off the computer that you don't want to connect to?

It's probably best if you make sure each computer has its own IP address, though.

-jkq

Hello-

My computer is over the WLAN. And I am trying to do a RDP by my phone which is on T-Mobile 3G (USA)

When I did a ping from the phone it says "Permission Denied (Are you root?) "

Originally Posted by pwngu!n View Post
Err, you can't have two computers with the same IP, unless you're talking about NAT which I seriously doubt.

I take it you are connected to your WIFI at home, and not trying to remote desktop over the internet/3G connection?

Check the IP of your PC, lets say as an example it is: 192.168.1.10
From a terminal on your phone, type: "ping 192.168.1.10". If you get a response then you know you at least have connectivity.
You can get the IP of your phone too, by typing: "/sbin/ifconfig wlan0".

But since the app is installed, you should probably look for help to this problem elsewhere. Good luck.

Then type "root" to get root privileges (similar to Windows Administrator account) and then try ping it.

Originally Posted by pwngu!n View Post
Then type "root" to get root privileges (similar to Windows Administrator account) and then try ping it.
What will I see if ping was succesful? I just see it says PING 192.168.1.12 (192.168.1.12) : 56 data bytes

You will know because you will see response times (in miliseconds). If you get a network error or no reply then it is likely not connectable.

What is the IP of your phone? You get it by typing: "/sbin/ifconfig wlan0".

Your PC and phone should be similar, with just a difference in the last octet.

example:
PC - 192.168.1.12
N900 - 192.168.1.13

You should be able to ping your N900 from your PC also. This isn't really the forum to discuss this though, as it's a general networking problem so you would probably be better off asking on a Windows forum.

Originally Posted by N900_NEWBIE View Post
Hello-

My computer is over the WLAN. And I am trying to do a RDP by my phone which is on T-Mobile 3G (USA)

When I did a ping from the phone it says "Permission Denied (Are you root?) "
1 - set a static ip to your pc in your LAN See here

2 - Disable firewall on pc or allow remote desktop port 3389 See here

3 - Set password to your aco**** on your pc and make it member of Administrator See here

4- Go to your router's management page and forward remote desktop port to your computer's new static ip See here

5 - Enambe remote desktop on your pc See here

6 - Start Rdesktop 1.7 package on your N900 and type your computers internet ip you can get it from a site like whatismyip.org

For easy use see if your router supports http://www.dyndns.com/ . If it does just open a free account and you won't need to remember your pc's ip all the time

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to asidana For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the very detailed instructions.

@ All, I resolved this issue by changing a router firewall setting.

@ pwngu!n- Ping was being blocked by another routing setting

Special thanks to pwngu!n, jkq, and asidana. I was going to retrun this phone if it was not for y'all helping me.

I had a BB 9700 before this and the Remote desktop on this is faser compared to that. And the graphics !!! I am in love with this baby!

Originally Posted by asidana View Post
1 - set a static ip to your pc in your LAN See here

2 - Disable firewall on pc or allow remote desktop port 3389 See here

3 - Set password to your aco**** on your pc and make it member of Administrator See here

4- Go to your router's management page and forward remote desktop port to your computer's new static ip See here

5 - Enambe remote desktop on your pc See here

6 - Start Rdesktop 1.7 package on your N900 and type your computers internet ip you can get it from a site like whatismyip.org

For easy use see if your router supports http://www.dyndns.com/ . If it does just open a free account and you won't need to remember your pc's ip all the time

Hi, I have been through the whole thread, could someone please post simple instructions on how to enable or install remote desktop on my N900?

I don't mind remote desktop or VNC, whichever is easiest!

Thanks if you can help.

do you want to connect from n900 to a windows pc? add extras-devel and find rdesktop

if you want to connect to your n900 from a pc to via vnc add extras-devel and find rdesktop

http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras-devel