Notices

Okay, good to know, thanks!

End users like me should indeed stay out of devel, but it's tempting because it has so much useful and well enough working software, flashlight and nano for example, stuff that the phone really needs but doesn't have yet. If the normal extras repo wouldn't have to wait for so long, people like me wouldn't maybe want to risk their phones as much.

It's all perfectly understandable of course - I'm not saying unfinished software should be put to extras. Just explaining my point of view. And for the same reason, a lot of end users probably see the new UQM version in their updates, wondering why they can't upgrade, because like me they have devel enabled for the software and for curiosity, despite being told not to.

Last edited by Juhgu; 2009-12-23 at 15:00.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Yeah, sorry, the joydev module is all my fault, when I got rid of my build environment problems, meatspace end-of-year activities caught up with me grinding dev efforts to a halt. I have not given up on it, and going to push it to extras-devel this week even if I have to do it on an N900 while commuting. Ditto for the dmsetup thing for qole.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Thanks for the explanation, cddiede. As you said, the "best" way to add accelerometer control to the game seemed to be by making tilt show up as stick movements using the linux joystick driver, hence the need for the joydev kernel module. I had just assumed it would be included as it is in most distributions of linux, and when i discovered that it wasn't, attila77 kindly offered to package it up as he is already doing some kernel module work.

The advantage to this approach is that it allows for any program that supports a joystick to also get accelerometer support; indeed i plan to break out the accelemymote portion as an independent package once i get it refined through the uqm testing.

Speaking of testing, with my new N900 in hand, i installed the devel version of uqm and then used insmod and the joydev kernel module in the bugtracker to get the module installed, and the accelerometer control actually does mostly work as expected (much to my surprise ). It's not the easiest way to control all the directions. I'm thinking the best default would be for just up and down. I welcome input on the subject when others get a chance to try it. Also, the way the accelemymote program works right now leaves very little neutral area in the center, so it's pretty touchy. Again, comments from those who have had a chance to try it on what the minimum value to start sending stick motion would be useful.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Only two testers lacking: http://maemo.org/packages/package_in.../0.6.7-0maemo/

Edit: Yay, it's done! Now in Extras for everyone's enjoyment. Thank you for testing.

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?

Last edited by Flandry; 2009-12-26 at 21:25.

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
I' m sorry but I've been trying to play this game for 3 hours now and they always always always face your ship away from the attacking ship making it a complete burden to slowly maneuver your ship in the right direction.and shoot.
Very low level of imagination. If the best thing you can do is force me to not be able to fight by pointing me in the wrong direction every m'fing time I get attacked making it very hard for me to even play the game then sorry you get a
F grade.
That is your idea of a game?
Grade equals F
Try again
I'm un-installing this and saving my space for something more intelligent.

Posts: 515 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oelsted, Denmark
For anyone with non-US keyboard qwerty12 has created an applet for easy switching between local and English keyboard...

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=446655&postcount=6

Direct link to .deb file -> http://qwerty12.qole.org/kb/keyboard..._0.1_armel.deb

Last edited by DrWilken; 2009-12-31 at 12:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to DrWilken For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aironeous View Post
I' m sorry but I've been trying to play this game for 3 hours now and they always always always face your ship away from the attacking ship making it a complete burden to slowly maneuver your ship in the right direction.and shoot.
Very low level of imagination. If the best thing you can do is force me to not be able to fight by pointing me in the wrong direction every m'fing time I get attacked making it very hard for me to even play the game then sorry you get a
F grade.
Grade equals F
Try again
aironeous, if you've never played the game, you can't expect to just pick it up and understand it. Read the manual, practice in super melee, and then give it a go. The game came out before players had to have their hands held for everything. Seriously, give it a real chance and you'll see it for what it is. A friggin amazing game that you can play anywhere now.

2d

The Following User Says Thank You to 2disbetter For This Useful Post:
F grade.
Grade equals F
Try again
If you prefer quick arcade games the single player game isn't going to be your thing. It's more like an RPG where your character (ship) gets stronger/faster/better over time and you gain more allies. There's also some strategy involved in using the right ship against the foe, and in not going places where you will probably die right away.

As for your ship's facing, i believe that depends on which way it is facing when you get sucked into the encounter (that's how it works for planets, anyway), so if you are always running away, you'll probably always end up facing away.

I find your tantrum rather sad, but i do understand it's not a game for everyone. It was and is almost unique in having a working open-ended and interesting plot, and for how old it is i think it still rates better than an "F" from any reasonable tester. Try the super melee mode and get a feel for the different ships, and that will help you survive in the single player campaign.

I have had a couple requests for a "granny mode" that would let you slow down the action 20% or so. I might add that still if there is more interest just so people who aren't really excited about the combat aspect can enjoy the game.

Last edited by Flandry; 2009-12-31 at 17:16.

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
I' m sorry but I've been trying to play this game for 3 hours now and they always always always face your ship away from the attacking ship making it very hard for me to even play the game then sorry you get a
F grade.
Grade equals F
Try again
Wah, Wah....
Go back to playing Halo and stop clogging our forum with your complaining.

You want someone better, go compile it yourself.

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 173 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Melb
could we add "stylus cues" such as in the emulators for the nin-consoles?

i would love to play the game with the keyboard tucked away!

Edit: can we add an option to preserve the 3do data?
I've had to reflash my N900 a couple of times, and having to re-install the 3d0 data (130Mb!) everytime is so annoying!

i've just befriended the pkunk.. those loving bastards!

Last edited by optimaxxx; 2010-01-02 at 15:19.