Active Topics

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ bournemouth
Originally Posted by Luke Valentine View Post
'his one from http://www.mobiles.co.uk/vodafone-nokia-n900.html, £25 per month, but i added the internet bolt on afterwards... good deal.. '

Thats a good one. I got it through us on the 25 18 month deal, 210 for the phone, but a handy discount and a traded iphone later, and nothing to pay!

One of the main things that I've wanted to know was how you find the keypad? I've only held the dummy version, which is obviously just a lump of plastic, how have you found getting used to the 3 row pad?
yeah i idid it the loooong way round, i got board of my iphone and traded it in for a htc hero, that turnt out to be a real disappointment so went for the n900 lol

keyboard is excellent, a lot better than the dummy phones on the walls...

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ GTA Ontario
Hi all,

I'm new here and a phone 'Neanderthal'.
Is an N900 overkill for me?
I've a 'regular' phone and have still a Palm TX as PDA.
  • I only use the phone for local calls and limit my overseas calls to when at home (with vyke.com!)
  • The Palm has my passwords, calendar, notes and shopping list.
  • Occasionally I listen to some music on the Palm.
Would I want to browse the web on a phone screen? Maybe when I'm on the can, but it seems really small?! (I still read without glasses...) How long can you read, when browsing through 3.5" ?

• So I read that VoIP would be cool and allows me to call Europe when not at home!
  • MSN when not near my PC is cool too.
  • A decent camera always handy is nice.
  • AWS band is a bonus.
  • Infrared remote could be neat.
All in all it seems to me $600+ for an all-in-one gadget is steep. I don't see a need to be always connected...

Would it be something for me, or should I just wait till my TX really dies, before joining the smart phone world?

Have Fun.

i think OP is right. was looking for a special something as well. have not found it yet.

A really cool app or whatever that does something that is so cool you could play for hours with it.

though maybe that is NOT the point of this device. Maybe that is the point of many devices and new stuff but not this one. Everything is already done. Thats the problem.

This one is a everything in one it seems. Its like a PC. So if youve had a pc. This is nothing new.

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Leeds, UK
Originally Posted by Devil View Post
i think OP is right. was looking for a special something as well. have not found it yet.

A really cool app or whatever that does something that is so cool you could play for hours with it.

though maybe that is NOT the point of this device. Maybe that is the point of many devices and new stuff but not this one. Everything is already done. Thats the problem.

This one is a everything in one it seems. Its like a PC. So if youve had a pc. This is nothing new.
I can't help but feel like your absolutely miles off buddy. Everything is already done??!? Nothing is done!! Maemo has years of development ahead of itself, and as a open OS, you will literally find new things everyday!

May have been a good idea to look into the whole Maemo thing first before you blew that much money.

'This one is a everything in one it seems. Its like a PC. So if youve had a pc. This is nothing new'

Thats like saying if you've had one car, you've had them all. And your complaining about it been like a PC?! Thats the point! You sound like you may as well have bought a 6300. But then, you'd probably complain that its NOT like a PC.

I honestly don't understand how you can view the N900 in this way. Go trade it in for an Iphone, you might find that mystical app your looking for.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by gadgetChris View Post
Would it be something for me, or should I just wait till my TX really dies, before joining the smart phone world?
Either you stay true to your nickname or not
For me, the N900 is the ultimate "supergadget"
OTOH, if a Hello Kitty USB handwarmer is your preferred gadget, then you shouldn't go for a N900

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ China
Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
Either you stay true to your nickname or not
For me, the N900 is the ultimate "supergadget"
OTOH, if a Hello Kitty USB handwarmer is your preferred gadget, then you shouldn't go for a N900
I think it's hilarious that you should mention a "hello kitty usb handwarmer" because it really hits home for me. I'm currently teaching English in China and nearly ALL my students (university level) come to class with these! LOL

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Devil's just trolling, as he does.

Everything has been done before, but every dog has his day. There are countless technologies that come around and fail, only to be reinvented years later to wild success and fanfare. The N900 may be the fusion of several different cases of that, or it may just be a niche device that serves a certain small population of users very well. It's too soon to tell.

Certainly you're not going to find a "killer app" unique to Maemo in the traditional sense, because (as someone already pointed out) anything great in software has probably already been done everywhere possible (and is coming soon if it hasn't). What people are more likely to find with the N900 is the "killer toolbox" that has all the components of a solution they happen to need. That's its real strength--the breadth of components it has available to it--and it comes from Maemo's linux origins, where the paradigm is single-purpose but solid tools and easy ways to chain them together to do fantastic things.

Those who will get the most out of the N900 are those who are able to visualize their own personal killer app, and then make (or get others to make) it a reality. And wouldn't you know it but we've got this awesome community doing just that, every day!

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 177 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ China
^^ well said.

You are missing a big chunk of the action is actually in the debian. There is a complete linux lightweight desktop including gimp ( photoshop like software ) and openoffice. These are not scaled down versions these are the full packages and with the ablity to install thousands of other linux packages.

Granted it is is bit slow to launch openoffice and gimp but hey, you have a desktop computer in less than 200g with a phone.

Ehab Heikal
http://www.elmotaheda-web.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to ehab For This Useful Post:
This could use a refresh, but the humor and the message haven't changed.

http://www.misterbg.org/AppleProductCycle/

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post: