Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
Originally Posted by colnago View Post
Yeah, but you're comparing an "internet tablet" to a phone/OS developed by a company whose sole existence is focused around "search". Its easier for Google to focus on implementing all their products into a device than Nokia...that and they have so many more products/developers. Deep pockets can do alot.

The (2) companies' focus/resources/drive (beat iPhone) are totally different. Now whether they should the strive to develop/innovate if they want to stay viable...most likely.
It sounds like you're saying that Nokia hasn't devoted enough resources to make sure that the n900 is actually competative (hardware and software) with it's peers. Is that what you're saying?

And which company are you saying is trying to beat the iPhone?

Posts: 208 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ saint petersburg, fl
Originally Posted by colnago View Post
There's a ton of issues with the native Exchange and POP3 clients on the DROID...most people opting for 3rd party email apps, myself included. FWIW, I had to download a lot of apps onto my Droid to get same/similar functionality of the 900 out of the box...even if it was for "corrective" reasons.

I'm new to Maemo, but even though this is supposed to be "5th version" (?), wouldn't it still be considered "new" given that apps from previous versions of Maemo don't work on the 900?
Android just went from 2 to 2.1

How many versions do you think they have had?

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
Ah, poking the hornets' nest. So fun.

Maemo has been around longer than Android.
HINT: the first version was called OS2005.

I'm sorry, but are people really saying that Nokia doesn't have deep pockets? Maybe not close to Google, but I'm pretty sure they've been around the mobile market for a while. Where did all those sweet European S60 profits go?

I understand everyone getting defensive on a Maemo forum, but I just want you to consider the current state of other mobile operating systems and Maemo. I would like more innovation (well, at this point, some catch-up) and communication with their customers. I'm not giving up yet on n900/Maemo/Nokia, but, man... let's hope Nokia has something up their sleeves.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled random bashing of my views.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to twoboxen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 42 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kuopio, Finland
according to the review n1's navigation sounded like crap (like googlemaps with just a but better integration, just a bit). Normal ovi maps (3?) from symbian beats that. Or tomtom & al.

and with firefox you can use googlemaps on n900 with gps too. kind of

Originally Posted by weirdbeard View Post
n900 can do all of that.......It just needs the software. Android has been around awhile. Don't lose faith in something you just paid 600 dollars for so fast, especially when it has pretty much the same hardware.
Maemo's (May 2005) been around longer than Android ( November 2007) and we're still waiting for the software. The software development is in our/your hands. That is this platform's power and it's pitfall.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to iamNarada For This Useful Post:
Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
select * from user where user.name = twoboxen

called mom at 14.00
got email from his secret girlfriend at 14.02
ditched the call from the wife at 14.07
located at naughty girls strip club at 15.17
synced pic naughty_blondie.jpg to picasa
(btw, no offense dude... just trying to make my point here)

you get the idea...

no thank you...

i bet it is a great phone and blah blah blah... but, i am getting more worried and worried with google knowing everything about everyone.

i thought once in developing for android but once i saw how google is doing things lately it kinda scares me... i dont want to be part of bringing android into live (even though is very lively already)

i believe nokia can fight equal with google... and thats where i am investing my time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HangLoose For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by s1rl4ncel0t View Post
However, the target for N900 must be to do AT LEAST what Nexus does...

I'm not a dev, but given Nexus One presentation, people have to work hard on N900 if they want to have leveled with competition...otherwise it'll become a huge disappointment...

Bye
I don't consider the Android and the iPhone competition to the N900.

I would more consider something like the Touches to be competitors... but even they don't come close. Only thing they really do good is games..

The n900 is a device of it's own. It's a tablet.. but a tablet that brings some (albeit limited) phone capabilities to tablet users.

And yes.. this is a 4th gen device.. but the previous version of Maemo were limited in that their libraries were run-down hacked versions of GTK... I *think* Maemo 5 is support to be more fully GTK compatible with QT support.. and then Maemo 6 is supposed to be fully QT compatible with GTK support..

But in any case.. it means this is a whole new revamp of the OS.. meaning that it quite literally just started.

If you *must* compare to the iPhone... take a snapshot of what the iPhone was like 2 months after it's release. Go back through the forums 3 years and go look. I personally am not familiar with the problems.. but I know there were tons of problems with the iPhones first few generations..

Compare those to the N900.. as it's a first of it's kind. Now - the question really is: is the N900 going to continue being the unique and wonderful device that it is - AND catch up the smartphones in the fields you want... or will it always lag behind in certain areas but make up for it in others?
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by iamNarada View Post
It sounds like you're saying that Nokia hasn't devoted enough resources to make sure that the n900 is actually competative (hardware and software) with it's peers. Is that what you're saying?

And which company are you saying is trying to beat the iPhone?
I'm saying Nokia "most likely" doesn't have the same resources that Google has (market value/product offerings/business model). Given the "DROID" ad campain, I think its obvious which company is looking to take iPhone market share.

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
"Why only 512MB for app storage?"
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/05/l...ss-conference/

Seriously?!? In a device that should kill the iphone?! that should be revolutionary... cmon guys.. and people ranting about n900?

i would like to see the face of all of those who said something about the n900 app storage

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HangLoose For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I don't consider the Android and the iPhone competition to the N900.

I would more consider something like the Touches to be competitors... but even they don't come close. Only thing they really do good is games..

The n900 is a device of it's own. It's a tablet.. but a tablet that brings some (albeit limited) phone capabilities to tablet users.

I must confess some confusion. What makes it more of a "tablet" than the N1 or the HD2 or the iphone? All of the other "phones" that I listed have larger screens (3.7, 4.3, 3.5 vs the n900's 3.5), and by most accounts are as adept at browsing the internet as the n900.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iamNarada For This Useful Post: