You know that you can solder Bluetooth module inside of SL-6000L? It is common serial module.

Tosa had best screen - it was shame for sharp to not use it in 2nd generation clamshells. I was able to use it without backlight even.

Wifi situation on SL-6000 is disaster. No one today use it so no development for it. It was merged into staging area of Linux kernel but is now on a way to be removed from there.

Thanks - OZ times were great and that hardware was good. But then times got changed.

Nokia has a chance to produce quite open hackable device with N900. Who knows when Ångström will run on it We never got and help from Sharp for our work, but there were companies like TRIsoft which helped us with service manuals, accessories like usb host cables (which now can be bought nearly everywhere).

And Qt... I am doing some development and do not want to even look into Gtk+ area.

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York, US
Zaurus SL5600 here. I used it a LONG time. I only gave up on it w/ the N770.
I agree N900 has LOTS of potential: hardware is here, we have to make the software rock!

C860 user here, but I didn't yet make the jump to the N900.

I'm wondering about the screen size. Can anyone post a side-by-side picture of the Zaurus C-series screen next to the N900 screen? Do you get the feeling that the N900 screen is "smaller" than the Zaurus screen, or is it fine in practice?

Given the number of slate/tablet/MID devices coming out in 2010 I'm watching the market before deciding on my Zaurus successor. The Zaurus certainly set a high standard; I want my next device to exceed the Zaurus in all ways before making the jump.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
I'm wondering about the screen size. Can anyone post a side-by-side picture of the Zaurus C-series screen next to the N900 screen? Do you get the feeling that the N900 screen is "smaller" than the Zaurus screen, or is it fine in practice?
I shared your concerns and can say that the N900 is a worthy, but not perfect, spiritual successor to the C860. You can read my impressions so far here. There's not a lot of Z-specific comparisons yet, but i do have some to order and post (hopefully soon).

The screen is about the same width but not as high, and the keyboard not as good, but the size and networking and UI of the N900 have almost completely won me over regardless.

Here's a really sketchy pic from a phone cam:
Attached Images

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
The screen is about the same width but not as high [...]
Here's a really sketchy pic from a phone cam:
Thanks, that helps put it into perspective. If the main difference in the screen sizes is the height, then I imagine that the loss of a bit of screen height in the N900 is probably made up for by the fact that the N900 doesn't always need to display the window title bar and menu at the top (which the Z generally does when using the standard ROM/apps, wasting vertical screen space).

However, the recently announced LG GW990, with 1024x480 4.8 inch screen, also looks pretty interesting. No physical keyboard, but I wonder if the larger touchscreen would make an on-screen keyboard viable.

Last edited by Otaku; 2010-01-10 at 04:16. Reason: Note about keyboard

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Thanks, that helps put it into perspective. If the main difference in the screen sizes is the height, then I imagine that the loss of a bit of screen height in the N900 is probably made up for by the fact that the N900 doesn't always need to display the window title bar and menu at the top (which the Z generally does when using the standard ROM/apps, wasting vertical screen space).
Yes, exactly. It's mostly the keyboard that's a bit of a step down, but that may be compensated by the smaller overall device size, depending on your preferences.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ England
Originally Posted by 白い熊 View Post
I think this is just a myth. I had a Series5 Psion, and the keyboard was definitely not better than the 760's or 3200's, which I've had.

And its clamshell format and keyboard came nowhere near close to the HTC Universal's, that keyboard has so far been unmatched by any phone.

Though comparing with the N900, the Psion was way better in terms of keyboard, but hey, that was no GNU mobile, it's not even in the same category... (I know you weren't talking about that )...
i beg to differ here, the Psion Series 5 / Series 7 / netBook PDAs had the best QWERTY keyboards you could get in such a compact device. the keyboard on my netBook is still not surpassed by anything I have used. it even beats the keyboard on the MacBook Pro that i had.

and i would also like to bring your attention to this website regarding your statement of the Psion being "no GNU mobile"

The Following User Says Thank You to oscillik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Sweden
I guess the OESF forums are becoming more and more deserted now...
I used my 3100 heavily for four years, right up until I unpacked my N900. No device before the N900 has been able to compete, but this one has everything I missed from the Z: TV out, PHONE, builtin connectivity, no need to reencode video.
Since I will be doing so much wifi hotspot connecting now (or not, we'll see) I'm thinking of retiring the 3100 as a mini OpenVPN server, it should be able to handle one connection just fine.

Sold my Tosa SL6000 in preparation for the N900, and of course, had to wait months before Nokia got its act semi-together.

The SL6000 had a great screen, I'd tether it to my Nokia 6230 and browse away on EDGE/T-Mo through my commute (train & bus). That's all I ever used it for, but I used it heavily. I hope I do a lot more things with the N900. Too bad Sharp lost its Linux-religion.

I hated how in the Zaurus (later OESF) forums, everyone talked like you had to have been there for years before you were deemed worthy to understand. Postings used acronyms, and assumed a lot of prior knowledge. I never figured out the deal with the myriad distros and I never came across a HOW-TO in the style of the old Linux HOW-TOs, which were written to do complex tasks, but never condescended, never assumed anything, but yet were complete.

Unfortunately, the N900 experience is similar. I can imagine a newbie, all excited with their new purchase that they've read so much about, finding a pretty bare manual, finding only advertising on Nokia's site, and coming to talk.maemo and getting completely lost. Where's the prominently advertised help for beginners (and if anyone's going to write one, please don't make a link-filled wiki)? Any time I want the wiki, I have to do a Google search to find it. Does anyone read the wiki? It's just a bunch of write-only links and cryptic statements.

Originally Posted by oscillik View Post
i beg to differ here, the Psion Series 5 / Series 7 / netBook PDAs had the best QWERTY keyboards you could get in such a compact device.
You're right. I remember now, that was the best keyboard on a mobile device ever. I kept thinking of the Series 3, that was before that, that was not so great. But yeah, this one really had it, you could even touchtype on it...

and i would also like to bring your attention to this website regarding your statement of the Psion being "no GNU mobile"
Wow, incredible, can't believe it... Wonder how fast X is on the Series 5 tool... But certainly, wow...